FNX .40 vs. Glock 22

FN Forum

FNX .40 vs. Glock 22

I'm new to the forum and have been considering purchasing a FNX .40 or a Glock 22. I currently carry a Glock 19 but have been considering switching to .40 caliber sidearm and have been very interested in the FNX .40....until I heard the stories about magazine catch failures in the FNX, more specifically, magazines dropping from the frame after not making positive contact with the magazine catch. Has anyone had any such failures, or does anyone know if this issue has been resolved by FNH? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    I haven't had any issues with the magazine catch on my fnx. I know at least 1 members here that was having the issue of the mag dropping was due to their grip, and was self corrected. I think there has been 1 other member that has had this issue off the top of my head and ended up sending it back to fnh, and I believe it was corrected by them. Do some forum searches and you should be able to find the threads to confirm.

I wouldn't even call it a known issue, because a small percentage of them have even had this issue. I really think a lot of it is people's various grips combined with an ambidextrous mag release, having 2 places to drop the mag increases the likelihood of hitting it by accident. A glock and an FNX are 2 completely different beasts, make sure the fnx or the glock is what you want. There are many other 40s that are more similar to the fnx (such as sigs, berettas, etc.) and same for glocks (xd's, m&ps, etc.). I find it odd that these 2 would be matched against each other. Figure out what you are looking for in a gun besides just a 40 and that might narrow down your choices a bit more.

Senior Member WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN BADGES wesman66's Avatar
    I think the more apt comparison would be the FNX40 vs Glock 23. Here are some pics of the FNP (very close to the same size as the FNX) next to a glock 23.
    http://fnforum.net/comparison-pics-o...23-t19047.html
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” Isaiah 6:8

I now have 1100 rounds through my FNX-9 and haven't had a problem of any kind. If there was a problem with the mag catch, I suspect it's been corrected by now.

I have Glocks myself and I've pretty much gone to the FNX; I like the way it shoots.

There are gonna be some after market issues with the FNX, at least for a while. Like I'd love to put Heinie sights on my FNX, but as far as I know they aren't available for it. The same is true for TruGlo's. There aren't as many holsters for the FNX as Glock, but those things haven't dampened my enthusiasm for the FNX at all.

The magazine lockup isn't an issue if you insert the magazine with any force. The only time I have seen it happen was on an internet video and the guy had to babe the magazine in just right so it wouldn't go forward enough to engage. Very few people have an issue with the magazines.

Go with the FNX-40 it has a personality.
    PSA Ar-15, Remington 870, S&W M&P 9, Ruger 22/45

Thanks for the input all......I was leaning heavily towards adding another Glock to the safe but the FNX .40 caught my attention and thought the FN Forum would be a better place for information than relying on YouTube videos. Haven't made up my mind yet but hope to do so soon. Thanks again for your input.

The comparison to a Glock 22 is a good one. It is as high as a 22, a bit shorter in length but wider. It is really closer in size to the Glock 20/21, it's as wide and tall but slide length is shorter. The Glock 23 is considerably smaller in L,W and H. It's a very able and IMO a very good carry gun. It's light, has good capacity, a tough finish and most importantly - it's reliable. As another member said above: it's got personality. Much more than a Glock. I like my Glocks but like my FNX as much and the FNX has a coolness factor that Glocks don't. Another thing it has that Glocks don't which may or may not be an issue for you is a safety.
    FNX40

Links