FNX versus M&P

FN Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: FNX versus M&P

FNX versus M&P

I asked this question in my other thread, but it got over-looked and then completely derailed.

How do you feel about the the M&P and the FNX in comparison? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of each? Which one would you take (despite this being an FN Forum) if you had to choose and why? I am so torn between these two. Thanks in adavance.

wbw
    I responed to this part of your question in the other thread, but I'll repeat it here since it did seem to get overlooked.
    I went to to gun shop to look at the M&P Pro with the intention of buying it if I liked it. I liked it except for the trigger, which is supposed to be better on the Pro model than the non Pro model. Then I spotted an FNX and dry fired it. I liked the SA trigger much better on the FNX so that's what I got. No regrets.

So in my case, the trigger made the difference. Again, these are my impressions and I'm sure others will have different opinions. Here's another picture just because I like this pistol so much:

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    I liked the M&P but for me it came down to wanting something different. My final options were the FNX-9, the Gen 4 Glock 19 (which was my 2nd option by the end), the S&W M&P and a few others. Having owned a black striker-fired handgun before, I wanted something different so I got the FNX-9 over the Glock 19 for the stainless slide and hammer/good trigger.

All three of the firearms are that I named are very very good IMO.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter themonk's Avatar
    My local gun shop wanted to sell me the M&P.

I went in to shoot the FNX, after, during the negotiations faze, they were pushing the M&P hard. I did not shoot the M&P just because I didnít get that far.

Here are my thoughts from experience - Its heavier, I didnít like the grip Ė FNX fits my hand much better, I like the safety on the FNX much better and last but not least the SA on the FNX is very sweet and I preferred the trigger pull much more on the FNX.

After shooting the FNX I wanted to buy the FNX. When I had a look at the M&P the only advantage I saw in the store was it was cheaper. Other than that I was leaning to the FNX on all the features I wanted (my main issue was the safety). Hope this somewhat helps.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose.

I've been shooting the M&P series since 2007 in every combination but the .357SIGs. I love the gun, it's reliable and extremely well made. I have heard horror stories about M&Ps breaking but that's rare and to be expected with any mass produced product. I switched from a M&P9 to the FNP9 last year and don't think I could go back for the most part. I'm now upgrading to the FNX9. All in all the M&P is a great gun with a great reputation and a galaxy of upgrade parts and accessories as well as holsters of every possible flavor out there (the only thing that makes me want to go back to the M&P).

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    the M&P was on my short list before deciding on the FNX.

Hey Garand4life, are you the youtube reviewer? If so, I ended up getting the WX150 light after watching your review on it (along with a lot of other research, and getting a smoking deal on one).

the primary difference between the two weapons is the fact that the FNX is Hammer fired and the M&P is striker fired. All of the advantages and disadvantages between hammer and striker are also the advantages and disadvantages between these specific two pistols.

Hammer fire pros: Single/Double gives restrike, and a longer trigger pull for a slightly safer action, while giving a lighter shorter trigger pull than a striker fired for Single action. Hammer's readiness is easy to see, plus you don't have to rack the slide to practice trigger pull with dry fire, just cock the hammer. Ability to carry "cocked and locked" which is many a 1911 fan's preferred way to carry.

Hammer fire cons: Hammer can become blocked easier by things such as dirt/mud or plantlike, an assailant can block the hammer. (in a 1911 assailant can see readiness or un-readiness of gun, 1911 is SA only) Hammer fire have more tendency to light strike than striker fire, but I have never experienced this in larger guns anyway.

Striker fire Pros: fewer controls to worry about, less likely to get gummed up in mud/dirt, etc. the ability to not need a manual safety. Some say smoother recoil because the striker pic is always pushing against the slide, but I don't experience the difference. (FNX has a great Recoil spring) ability to fire, and possibly second shot from inside a cloth enclosed space without hammer getting jammed up in the cloth. People can't see readiness of your gun isn't 100% (condition 0)

Striker Fire Cons: manual safeties can be less reliable, which is why glocks and m&ps have multiple auto safeties. can't see the readiness. Dry firing is harder. trigger pull tends to be worse than a single action hammer fired. I've heard of a lot more accidental discharges with striker fire pistols. (if you follow the safety rules, this isn't a problem anyway)

most of these advantages and disadvantages come down to taste. I personally like Hammer fired better.
    20mikemike thanked this.

I was also looking at either a M&P or FNX. I chose the FNX. I liked the DA/SA and really liked the ability to carry cocked and locked or in DA with either safety on or off. I like options. I also liked how it felt in my hand. I also didn't like it that you had to push on a part in the M&P to take it down. Plus I liked the front sight on the FNX better also.

Senior Member GO AHEAD PUNK, MAKE MY DAY
    FNX..... because if I wanted a glock I would buy a glock

Senior Member KIRK'S AWAY TEAM (GOLD SHIRT) Sullivan's Avatar
    The only thing I'll contribute here is regarding trigger break. I'm not very experienced with firearms by any means, but I much prefer the break on the M&P's I've tried. Between them and my FNX, there's zero creep on the M&P. Besides a Kimber trigger I got conned into trying at the store (and a Mk23 down in Salt Lake), I've not felt a better trigger than the M&P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links