FNX Magazine Release Colder Temperature - Page 7

FN Forum

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Thanks Tree5Thanks

Thread: FNX Magazine Release Colder Temperature

FN Supporter KIRK'S AWAY TEAM (GOLD SHIRT)
    Quote Originally Posted by sveda7 View Post
    All,
    They have apparently reviewed the pistol again and it is shipping back. They did not contact me with any info and there is no info on the web site (through the login) about the service. It should be here tomorrow... we'll see what is in the box. You all know where it goes when I open the box.... the ice box!
    Longknife,
    If your life depends on you getting a fresh mag into the pistol I'll let you keep the mag out of the snow while I'm squeezing the trigger on my HK. The FN didn't work even when it had just completed shooting a whole mag.... and it was only about 20F outside. It gets colder here in the winter. I'd much rather "find the mag later in the snow" rather than being laying in the snow with the empty mag in my hand!

Renee,
    The pistol was spotlessly clean and no lube in the mag cavity. Can't enjoy an unreliable piece.

I ask all of you. Take your FN pistol with an empty mag. Stick it in the freezer for an hour. Pull it out and press the mag release. If the mag hits the floor (or lands in the snow) you are good. If it doesn't then your screwed! Because it will take an extra 3/4-1 sec to complete a mag change when you need it... and thats game over! I never had this happen with any of my other pistols but have check each since this has happened... so now I'm sure.

I hear you... with the forced confiscation of 15 round mags and then NY talking about limiting us to five round mags.... wow... not good if your mag gets stuck... might as well go back to a revolver.

If Obama gets his way and we all go back to 10 round limits soon, that will change the whole 9mm vs 45 acp debate... the only edge 9mm really had was high capacity... all of a sudden 45 acp will be top again.... that is until the Feds ban that caliber too....

I have to agree, having the mag stuck and requiring the other hand to pull it out is a no go.
    How many 45s do we have with this issue so far?

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    I have a FNP-9 and a FNX-45, neither of these guns have this problem. After looking at the FNP-9 the only thing that could be causing these problems are the guide / support rails on the inside of the receiver handle. You could sand these down by gluing a strip of sandpaper (1600 grit) onto a small flat board and gently taking about .001 off the rails. You would not want to use any sandpaper with a grit of over 1600 or you would cause a rough surface on the rails causing the same problem.
    You would want to do about 10 strokes with the 1600 sandpaper run a rag through the handle and see if it is still sticking. Continue this until the mag falls free.

For those that complain that they should not have to do this, you are correct. But how many of us have done all manner of things to a 1911 style gun to make sure it is 100% reliable.

Jessie,
    I also have an FNP-9 too and do not have this problem. The FNX-9 has a completely different mag release system. New and improved that is actually just cheaper! Obviously not a properly tested platform. I will have to fix it myself. Or dump it off to some clown at a gun show who wants something to shoot "summer" zombies! I should have never wasted my time or $ to send it back to FN.
    Last edited by sveda7; 01-27-2013 at 03:12 PM.

All,
    Just wanted to add.... I have the piece back from the factory... It was "repaired and tested" Reality check.... It functions worse than before when frozen.. But I was assured that it is "within spec". Did anybody else read that spec in the owners manual? Or is it a feature? It wasn't in my literature. They also provided no information on what they did or how it was tested.... even though I did lay out a pretty clear test method. So I will pawn this puppy off to the "gun hungry" crowd at the next show and get something that functions....Like a CZ, Glock, HK, Beretta, Kahr, Keltec, RockRiver, Springfield, Colt, Sig etc.

Just tried the test left the frame in the freezer for an hour on
    my fnx 40 mag still drops so maybe the issue has been fixed.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    I fired my FNX 45 yesterday for first time & having problems with the clip dropping out.pressed clip release button on both sides & sticks. also jammed twice when shooting it. using winchester fmj target rounds. just brought the gun about 2 weeks ago. I didn't read all the older post. do I need to send this back or can I get some advice?

thanks
    larry

I went to the range over the weekend with my FNAR and FNX-9. I left the FNX-9 on the table while I shot the FNAR for about an hour. When I was done with the FNAR I put 50 rounds of 124gr through the FNX and all 3 magazines dropped clear (I catch them so that do not hit the ground) without an issue. It was a whopping 18 F when I left the range after 1.5 hours. I guess it is something that did not effect the last batch of FNX-9's, or at least mine.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Links