Newbie’s Guide to Trouble Free Ownership of the FNX - Page 14

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
Thanks Tree109Thanks

Thread: Newbie’s Guide to Trouble Free Ownership of the FNX

The spring is not being pushed passed its limit with the slide locked back.

Hi cap mags? What are those? The things diane fienstein plays with? Let's not use liberal buzz words. Standard capacity or just right capacity works.

Brand new FNX .45 owner here, and haven't even had a chance to take her out to see what she can do yet... Still trying to get all of my cleaning kit together to get a proper clean & lube job before I start "breaking her in"... Anyway, those 15RD Magazines were UNBELIEVABLY STIFF when I started loading them (I am going to HAVE to get a Mag-Loader for those puppies), but I am sure they will get easier with time... Meanwhile, at least they can remain "primed" until my pistol is ready for practicing... I noticed that the forum has died down, so hoping more life and more FNX .45 owners can contribute their experiences here so I can compare and contrast mine with them... I will report back once I get to some tales to tell!!

Siggy,

http://www.amazon.com/Lula-Universal...ywords=maglula

$28 shipped. After a year and about 5K rounds through my FNX 40 the last few rounds are STILL a PITA to load.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the tips on breaking in the FNX 45. Runs great after leaving it locked back for a week!

New member and just order a FNX9. I should have it by Friday..(strange on the delay...FN guy said due to me have a security clearance from the military 20 years ago?). Anyways look forward to getting it...I bought this pistol for the same reason I saw posted very early on in this thread...left handed but wanted something my wife could pick up and use also.. They support our troops.... and they are American made. Not to say the least the history of the company is plain awesome. I appreciate all the info this forum has provided.

**** This is a safety issue reported at ranges and turning your pistol to the side will eject the cartridges at your face/head. Limp-wristing the pistol may cause function problems (reported in the forum) and can do the same thing.
    Shooting Gangsta Style also make it a good bit harder to handle recoil and get back on target.

Good set of instructions for getting started!

I just picked up my first pistol - the FNX 9. I did a ton of online research and now hoping I'll be satisfied. I can't wait to fire this bad boy. I have read this forum with interest am following the directions. I joined a local range but have wait a few weeks for the next safety orientation meeting before I can shoot there. I'll check in after I get to use my new toy.
    LESTER thanked this.

I just got chance to shoot my FNX9 - put 100 rounds thru it - love this pistol!!! No problems at all. I used 147 grain bullets and, as recommended, locked the slide back and loaded the mags for a full week - worked like a charm. For a first time shooter, this is accurate - managed to put all 10 rounds on a 8 x 11 pAper . I'm signing up for some lessons. Great pistol, low recoil, just a lot of fun to shoot. Thanks to all for the advice - really paid off for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3
    Noob question- Whats the point in leaving the slide open for a week?
    He answered your question, but didn't explain HOW it works.

Springs, when pushed to their design limits (also called their "elastic" limits) will degrade. Not all springs, in normal cycling will get pushed to those limits. Most recoil springs will, but it's a brief thing so it doesn't necessarily have a lot of effect. Many mag springs in high-cap mags will be pushed to or near their limits when fully loaded, and leaving them that way for extended periods causes wear. (The fully compressed spring metal develops micro-fractures and as the metal fails -- but the spring is still compressed -- adjoining metal may also fail.) Note: a fully loaded mag doesn't mean that the mag spring is fully compressed.

That's why Wolff Springs warns against the long-term storage of fully-loaded high-cap mags. (Most 7-round 1911 mags and extended length 8-round 1911 mags may be kept fully loaded for decades without problems. Other mags may not last as long.) Wolff recommends downloading a round or two for long-term storage. You don't need to do that with a mag in your carry gun. (The spring will still very slowly degrade, but you'll have extra rounds when you need them.)

Many newer gun designs are using springs as renewable resources -- to give the shooter greater capacity and replace the spring more often.

With some new FN guns, especially new FNXs when folks are using suppressors or anemic ammo, the recoil spring is too strong to cycle the slide fully with every round fired. Leaving the slide locked back for a short period (maybe a week?) will degrade the spring just just enough that it will lose a little of its strength . If you do it for that relatively short period it won't have a great effect on spring longevity. The same is true of mag springs, when new.

All coil springs will take a "set" when new, and you'll find that they are a bit shorter after some use. The spring and gun designers take this into consideration when selecting (or specifying a spring), so it's not a big concern. Leaving your slide locked back for a week or so is just accelerating "new gun break-in." You don't want to leave your slide locked back for long-term storage.

I'm looking for any help finding flat floorplates for my fnx45t vs the std, I know I'll lose one round but the advantage of not printing would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've already tried several places, brownells, midway, some gunshows to no avail. Thanks in advance for letting me post.
    Ps absolutely love my fnx tactical

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Sponsored Links