Newbie’s Guide to Trouble Free Ownership of the FNX - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree108Thanks

Thread: Newbie’s Guide to Trouble Free Ownership of the FNX

Quote Originally Posted by Jcrabtree View Post
    Just curious what the point of leaving the slide open for a week is. thanks!
    It breaks in the spring on the slide, and supposedly reduces the amount of FTF's. I fired mine right after the initial cleaning (100-some rounds) and didn't have any issues. I then left the slide open for a week and left the mags loaded as well. Figured it would not hurt, so why not?
    Jcrabtree and Aikimike thanked this.
    The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You!

I did look at quite a few reviews for the FNX-9 before I bought mine...and one thing that I saw a lot of people didn't like was the magazine not seating correctly unless you pushed it forward towards the front of the gun. I just picked up my FNX-9 from the dealer yesterday and noticed that they actually fixed that issue. Might they have fixed the FTF issue with regular 115gr early on in the gun's round count as well?
    Aikimike thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan71 View Post
    Follow-Up: Range Report for the FNX-9 SS Break-In First Range Session

I have tested all my FNX-9 magazines and have discovered the following. If you load up to 7 rounds there will be no loose round, the 8th round loaded will cause a loose round and every even number loaded after (8th 10th 12th 14th 16th), if you add rounds (9th 11th 13th 15th & 17th) you will have no issue. I do not consider this a major issue or a design flaw just something to be aware of.
    That's entirely dependent on your cartridge OAL and bullet shape. If you use rounds of another length, you'll get different results. This will get said a thousand times here but it's common in double stack magazines. No issue in functionality at all as that loose round can't move enough to get out of position, just enough to make noise.
    Aikimike thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

So I just got out to the range yesterday and put ~100 rounds through my new FNX. First off...I love that gun! It shoots awesome and I didn't have a single problem with it. But I wanted to come back and let everyone know that I did in fact use 115gr range ammo and I didn't have 1 FTF. I did leave the slide locked open for about 4 days, but it worked flawlessly. I would be interested to see how it would have went had I not locked the slide open. I am thinking that FNX heard the complaints with the mag lock and the FTF issues early on and addresssed them. Either way...what a fantastic piece of hardware!

I just ordered mine yesterday, my first pistol purchase. Can't wait to work it in. Definitely the right place for info.

I own an AR and am building another now, they needed a nice combat companion. And to think I almost bought G17 24 hours prior!

I'll be reading and searching.
    Get off my lawn!

Range Report for the FNX-40 SS Break-In First Range Session
    Ammunition: Speer Lawman Clean Fire 180 GR TMJ CF #53880
    Specs: 1000 fps and 400 ft-lbs.

Cleaning products used on pistol: I removed the factory lubrication with M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner, Tetra grease used on wear-points, M-Pro 7 LPX gun oil in barrel and on other pistol parts.

I cleaned and lubricated the pistol prior to first use. I had no issues at the range and I found the pistol a pleasure to fire and very accurate too. I fired 100 rounds and used a Hoppe’s Bore Snake (used after 50 rounds) during the range session. The pistol has a lot of factory oil and grease so I believe I could have just brought the pistol to the range without cleaning and not had any issues. I did notice the FNX-40 SS had more factory oil and grease than the FNX-9 SS. Additionally, I did not need to break-in the recoil spring and the magazine springs as the 40 S&W is a larger, more powerful round than the 9mm.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Vulcan71; 07-30-2014 at 12:08 AM.
    Ex cineribus resurgam

Just recently picked up an FNX-9 and wanted to give my two cents. First, I broke the pistol down, did the initial cleaning/relubing with breakfree CLP. Went to the range with 100 rounds of federal 115 grain FMJ rounds from Walmart and I had more malfunctions in that one box of ammo than I ever have in my life. I had a double feed on almost every shot, had one or two stovepipes, and the slide virtually never locked back. I bought another 50 rounds at the range of a different type of ammo and did not have a single malfunction. I didn't lock the slide back for several days or load the mags up, but I'm doing both now. So for the break-in period, I recommend steering away from those rounds unless you want to practice your remedial actions.
    jathtech and Kevin 45 thanked this.

pretty much, if you don't do the stuff on the new pistol that the OP first listed, you can't shoot weak rounds without issues. The gun will handle quality standard powered rounds just fine though. After the break in period, either forced or fired, the gun will shoot everything you feed it. I recommend avoiding anything with steel or aluminum cases such as wolf or tul ammo though. the first 50 rounds will feed, but they are so dirty they can cause problems with subsequent rounds. Its a quality gun, feed it quality ammo. If you want to get a good price on ammo, I recommend going to the gun shows and picking up boxes of factory reloads. You may have a few bad primers with this stuff, but for the most part its clean and shoots well. plus, you can get a box of 500 rounds of 9mm for about 70 bucks.
    Knife Hands and Gers4Lyfe thanked this.

Fnx-40

Is it best to follow this for the FNX-40?

The FNX-40 uses a more powerful cartridge so ammo is not so much an issue but even 40 S&W does have some under powered ammo on the market but most ammo has enough power. The magazines will benefit from the break-in but is optional, I recommend using quality ammo with a good charge (power) during break-in 400-500 rounds.
    Ex cineribus resurgam

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links