Newbie’s Guide to Trouble Free Ownership of the FNX.
- Check the contents of the storage case (P.3).
- Read the owner’s manual….
- Initial Cleaning of Pistol (P.15, 31-37).
- Mark magazines in order to tell them apart.
- Pull slide back & lock, leave open for one week or Rack the slide.
- Load magazines for one week.
- Buy quality ammo (+P optional). *
- Many people recommend a 400-500 round break-in. **
- Clean and lubricate pistol after each use with quality products. ***
- Keep a round count.
- Clean magazines based on use, quality of ammo, conditions (dirt, sand, etc).
- Enjoy…. Oh, I almost forgot don’t fire the pistol like in the movies. ****
*FNX-9 People have reported problems with 115gr ammo during break-in. Use more powerful ammo and/or higher grain bullets 124gr-158gr. Yes, 158gr does exist but is very hard to find. FNX-40 bullet weight is not an issue (NO 40S&W +P). FNX-45,45T People have reported problems with 185gr-200gr ammo during break-in. Use more powerful ammo and/or higher grain bullets 230GR and/or 45 ACP +P.
** The 400-500 round break-in period is based on FNX forum experience.
*** Over/Under lubrication can cause function problems (FTE, FTF, etc). A pistol that is not properly maintained will also malfunction.
**** This is a safety issue reported at ranges and turning your pistol to the side will eject the cartridges at your face/head. Limp-wristing the pistol may cause function problems (reported in the forum) and can do the same thing.