Noobie - FNX-9 Rental (vs M&P or XD)

FN Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noobie - FNX-9 Rental (vs M&P or XD)

I'm just looking to get into the world of pistols and am narrowing my choices. So far with just feel (without shooting) I'm interested in the FNX9, XD9 or M&P9. Any input on these three? I realize as an FN forum there may be some bias... but back up for the rationale is valuable too.

I'm hoping to shoot them this week and make my desicion soon.

Does anyone know where in the Phoenix area (hopefully further east valley) I could rent an FNX9? Caswells and the place in Queen Creek do not have them available.

Thanks,

I am an noob, waiting for the paperwork to process to pick up my FNX 40 but if you are left-handed, the FNX is the way to go. As far as I know, and that is not much, the FNX is the only pistol that is fully ambidextrous.

Senior Member CAN KILL GOATS WITH HIS MIND Econometrics's Avatar
    Welcome to the FN Forum, both of you!

Don't rent, just buy!
    The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You!

I own the FNX 40 and just yesterday shot a friends XD 40. The FNX recoil felt much less to me than the xd's. I also own a M&P 9 Pro and it is a very nice gun.
    I think you should make your choice between the ones you are most comfortable with their operating system. ie, hammer fired with saftey/decocker or striker fired with/without saftey.
    Myself for strictly range use I like the MP no saftey. For defensive use I like the FNX in the decocked position saftey off.

I sold my FNX-9 because of the backstrap play. I don't know if that issue is fixed now or not but I regret selling it. Never sell a gun just buy another! I bought a M&P 9 and I love that thing like crazy. The grip feels natural to me. Just buy what feels good in your hand. Buy a FNX or M&P the XD seems bulky to me when I hold them.
    PSA Ar-15, Remington 870, S&W M&P 9, Ruger 22/45

I bought a FNX-9 3 weeks ago. It took some breaking in(see new owner post), but now it's great! Shoots really well. It is gonna be in my carry rotation along with my Glock 19 gen4, and my LCP, as soon as I get a new Crossbreed holster.

BUY the FNX9!!!! And then buy the other two! I just agonized over my purchase. I wanted a High Capacity 9mm, the one gun category I had never purchased. I whittled down to three choices:The Glock 17, CZ 75, and the FNX9. Although i probably would have opted for the CZ had I come across one in the flesh on purchase day, I am now really glad I didnt! What a brilliant little machine this FN pistol is! I am genuinely smitten by the thing. It is superlight and nice to carry, shoots very well so far (300 round mark) and it is just very modern and neat in design and build. It reminds me of a Browning Highpower (.40) I had (although MUCH llighter) and of any number of Sig's I have owned, design-wise. Shooting it was the real treat though! It made me feel like I could hit just about anything! Kind of HK USP compact - like in that regard. What a pleasure to shoot. It has replaced my trusty P220 as my primary carry weapon! It is the first gun to surpass the confidence that old Sig gives me; maybe a little premature at only 300 rounds, but there is just something about this little gun. I guess i got a good one. This one I will keep forever.

The FNS-9 would be more comparable to the M&P and the XD as all three of those pistols are striker-fired with a consistent trigger pull. The FNX uses a hammer and both Double Action and Single Action trigger pulls.
    "You can twist perceptions, Reality won't budge" - Neil Peart (RUSH)

Love, love, love my FNX-9. But I could use a larger grip, more like the FNP-45 or Sig P220. Other than that, love it.
    I'm not tacti-cool I'm just tacky.

Banned Bullseye Shooter
    The fact you said you want to get into pistols I would stay away from DAO triggers like glock, M&P, XD, etc. In my experence (not true for all), a DA/SA is the best choice. It takes awhile to become a decent shooter with DAO. I've got an FNX-40 myself and wouldn't trade it for any DAO gun. To each his own and it all depends on what you like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links