Where to or how to obtain an Olive Drab FNX-9??

FN Forum

Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By Hollywood
  • 1 Post By Sheriff Gotcha

Thread: Where to or how to obtain an Olive Drab FNX-9??

Where to or how to obtain an Olive Drab FNX-9??

Hello all, firstly just want to say I did a quick "half-assed" search on this prior to posting, but it gave me nothing I was looking for.

That being said, I was on Buds earlier looking for the FNX that I was planning to purchase in all black. I have seen pictures of people who have their guns in Olive Drab and I absolutely LOVE the way it looks (OD w/ Black slide), but Buds doesn't carry the FNX-9 in OD. So I guess what my question is, if I cannot find one in OD at Buds, are there ways of making it look the way I'd like it to look? Is it expensive? Does anyone know the approximate cost? Where could I get it done? (LGS, Online somewhere, etc) Is there any other information you can provide or would like to give me? Opinions?

I am 22 so my budget is not as large as I would like so I am just trying to get an idea as to how much it would cost. I am very new to guns and not very handy when it comes to DIY work (which I am sure one or two suggestions might be to paint it myself).

Please note this will be my first gun and pretty much a range gun, possibly a carry gun (after I take the proper safety courses to feel more competent and prepared to carry) and a home defense pistol until I am able to afford the Mossberg 500 I have been eyeballing.

Again apologies if this is in the wrong place or has been asked a million times (new poster, lurker of only a few months) and thanks in advance.

Yes i have seen many members posting up on here there DIY paint jobs and most of them look pretty good if your careful i would do it yourself just use the search function or look through the photo section of different parts of the forum and i'm sure youll find some of the examples and how they did it. I cant imagine it being cheap to have someone professional paint it
    FNP 45 OD
    Five Seven FDE
    PS90 OD
    FS2000 OD
    GSG 22 AK47
    Remington R1 Enhanced
    Sig P250

The FNP's came in FDE (more of a dark tan, not an OD). FNX's have never been offered in that color, just black frame. FNP-45 USG's had FDE frames available.

The cheapest way to go, would be to spray paint it yourself. It won't be terribly durable and to do it, I would completely disassemble the lower rough up what I could with 400-600 grit sand paper or very fine steel wool and degrease it with 95%+ rubbing alcohol (and clean it thoroughly). I would then spray it my desired color and reinstall all the rails and levers etc. If you go slow with the painting, it'll turn out pretty good. I shot my Savage 93 and AR recently (and a scope). Took more time on the Savage and it turned out pretty nice. The AR is okay, but that'll get more paint (just did it last week).

I've only shot the Savage once with the new paint job and used it to spot on two other occasions and the paint is already wearing off in rub spots (mostly from the case, where the straps go over it to hold it in place)
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Darn, that sounds like a lot more work than I am capable of doing on my own.. that stinks that it would be that expensive to actually someone else to do it as well. Oh, well, maybe something I can look to do way way down the road when I am more knowledgable and settled in. Thanks anyways guys.

Senior Member FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS Hollywood's Avatar
    I'm in the process of gun-koting my FNX slide and maybe the outside of the barrel. This page(link at bottom) has a duracoated FDE FNX that a guy did himself. He just taped off the internals and the levers that were left black. In theory you could do the same thing with OD Green from Cerakote(air cure), Gun-Kote(air cure), Duracoat, or just spray paint. I'll post some pictures of my DIY paint experience when I finally finish it up. I'm working out of my father's garage and work full time so I only get a few hours every couple of days to work on it. If you're on a tight budget but want the finish to hold up I'd recommend Gun-Kote. It's $12 for a 4oz bottle that will be plenty for the frame. Cerakote is $35 for a 4oz bottle but is much much tougher. I've heard that Duracoat is just a little tougher than spray paint. Poke around the refinishing forum on AR15.com for some tips on doing it right and go for it!

Refinishing Forum Picture Thread - Page 72 - AR15.COM
    Sheriff Gotcha thanked this.
    The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work. ~Harry Golden

Sneakin and poopin - MSG S

-What do you do when something like that happens to you?
    -Grab a straw and suck it up.

Thanks Hollywood, after seeing some of that stuff on AR-15.com I am thinking I just may be able to do this on my own. Where would you suggest to get the Gun-Kote from? I have found the Cerakote relatively easy since they have their own website, but I can't find the Gun-Kote. Is that the name of the actual brand?

After seeing all the colors on the Cerakote page I might just get something other than OD Green. So many options its pretty damn cool.
    Last edited by Sheriff Gotcha; 05-08-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    Hollywood thanked this.

Metal Protective Coating | Firearm Lubricants | Industrial Coatings

If you have any questions call the contact us number. The gun-Kote guy, Chris, was very helpful for me and took my call right away. You can buy directly from their site. The air cure variations of both Cerakote and Gun-Kote have more limited colors than the kind you have to bake. I'm using the OD Green and Flat Black Stock Cote(or air cure) by Gun-Kote. I'll try and get some pictures of the parts I do have complete soon but they are hanging up at my father's place which is 20 minutes away from me and I don't get off the leash to work on them every night.

Without pictures I can say it is a very good dark OD Green. However I used an improper paint gun at first and pretty much wasted 1/3 of the bottle, and then a cheap air brush to finish the work and I'm almost out of green now. I only had a few more parts I wanted in green so it's not a big deal but be sure to 1. get the rigth paint gun, and 2 practice on something you don't really care about first. If you just want to do the frame then one bottle should be plenty to practice and execute. But if you get excited and start added to your list of stuff that Needs to be green, just order 2 bottles so you can save on S/H.

Don't be afraid to customize! It took me a long time to work up the nerve to do this and now I wish I'd done it sooner. Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing.

One more quick question... My friend is a very good painter (paints cars and such) do you think his paint gun will be a viable option for painting?

Now I just have to look into step-by-step directions on how to continue on.. Thank you very much for the help!

If he has an HVLP gun I understand those are very effective for coating small parts, or an air brush which is what I used.

My airbrush is the cheapo $10 kit from harbor freight and the paint seemed to by hitting in droplets and not very vaporized. The final product still turned out very nice I think. But I haven't had a chance to reassemble and range test anything yet. I believe the HVLP gun is better suited for this type of coating but I'd call and ask Chris specifically about it.

My father's larger paint gun was meant to quickly paint car panels and it simply spewed the paint everywhere and barely coated the magazine tubes I was trying to hit. It wasted the paint extremely quickly and I ended up wiping it all off before it could dry and had to retry with the air brush the next day.

Links