Differences of FNX45Tac vs. FNP45Tac

FN Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree8Thanks

Thread: Differences of FNX45Tac vs. FNP45Tac

Differences of FNX45Tac vs. FNP45Tac

My new black FNX45Tactical arrived today, have not fired it yet but I did do a thorough detail comparison to my FDE FNP45Tactical (sorry no pictures). One is black and one is FDE. One has FNX Tactical on left side of frame, the other FNP Tactical...

Besides the color, the external looks and appearance are virtually the same and both will fit in the same holsters. To someone not very familiar with either, would say they are the same, but they aren't! The grip angle and bore axis height are the same. The X barrel is fully supported while the P is not. The X barrel will drop into the P frame but NOT vice versa. The hole in the front of the X slide is slightly smaller in diameter and the P barrel will not fit in it! However, the complete P upper assembly fit on the X and appeared to be OK, but I would not fire it this way, just wanted to see that the frame rails etc. were the same.

The frame on the X under the left and right slide locks are shaped slightly different than the P.

The recoil spring is stiff and has 27 coils versus the 32 coil modified spring in my P.

The trigger pin is different, the X has has a small dimple on the left side end, the P doesn't.

Now for the Mags- they are completely different! The X body is about 13 thousands of an inch longer in the front to back dimension than the P. The followers are completely different and not interchangable as the X mag body is shaped differently at the top to fit the new follower. The X has a 10 coil mag spring and looks a different color and/or material than my 11 coil P springs. The bottom rounded floor plates look the same although the X has a "1" molded on the inside; (didn't try to interchange them) The X body has 12 witness holes from 4 to 15. The P has three witness holes at 5/10/15 levels.
    The P mag will fit loosely in the X frame and does lock in. The X mag will fit tightly in the P frame and does lock up but will not drop free. I do not plan to try and fire the Xin P and Pin X!

My conclusion is that I plan to treat the X and P as completely different pistols and not interchange any parts. now if I can find any X mags?

That's the differences I could find for now, thought some of you, like me , would want to know. Hope to get it to the range soon!
    Last edited by Longknife; 12-13-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    marinedoc187, djv38, Rangerone and 4 others thanked this.

[QUOTE=Longknife[/QUOTE]

I wish you could upload a video or post pics to teach more.
    Thanks for the info.
    - Know your Enemy. - Sun Tzu(Art of War), RATM.

Senior Member DO YOU FEEL LUCKY, WELL DO YA PUNK?
    Thanks for the detailed comparison. I'm curious about any feeding issues on the FNX being as it now has the fully supported chamber.

The design on the FNX 45T grip seems to protect the "lower frame".
    Only the rear palm insert and mag base are exposed to contact from a particular fall.
    Any damage seems like it would affect quick change parts rather than the lower frame($).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Know your Enemy. - Sun Tzu(Art of War), RATM.

Banned Mongo only pawn in game of life.
    Is there any chance you could post some pics detailing the difference in magazine feed lips and followers. Also if you have a pair of calipers, could you measure the largest part of the barrel hole in the slide both vertically and horizontally? And what did you mean by "The frame on the X under the left and right slide locks are shaped slightly different than the P."

Those are pretty much the differences I was thinking they had (minus trigger pin-which I figured they would do something-and recoil spring coils).

Now, is the recoil spring stiffer because it's new on the X and the P is used?
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Thanks for taking some time to examine and write about the differences! It is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by marukka View Post
    Is there any chance you could post some pics detailing the difference in magazine feed lips and followers. Also if you have a pair of calipers, could you measure the largest part of the barrel hole in the slide both vertically and horizontally? And what did you mean by "The frame on the X under the left and right slide locks are shaped slightly different than the P."
    Sorry, I'm camera challenged, no pictures, never took time to learn how to post them etc. Maybe we could get Amsdorf to dissamemble a X mag and photo the components.
    When you look at the complete pistol, the molding on the frame below the slide stop on both sides is shaped differently on the X and P. If you look at a closeup photo of the X you'll see this, then compare it to your P.

Thanks for the detailed comparison.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    please post comparison photos!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links