FN Herstal Firearms banner

FNX-9: How does it compare to the 9mm H&K P30?

21K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  QuercusMax 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about a high-capacity 9mm at the moment, and am attracted to both the FNX-9 and the 9mm version of the H&K P30. Any thoughts on one vs. the other from anyone with experience?

I have the competing products in .45ACP (HK45ct and FNX-45T) and really like both. It's hard to choose between them although they have their differences. And they are both pretty close in price.

However, when comparing the 9mm products, the H&K P30 is going for $9xx while while the FNX-9 can be had for $6xx, which is quite a difference. It's not obvious to me why this is, and how the 2 products compare otherwise. I know that price does not always correlate to being "better" but does raise the question.

Any insight welcome.

#3 ·
I have had my FNX for 2 years now and I love it. Don't have much experience with the H&K, but it sounds like you do if I read your post correctly. A lot depends on what you want, what you're using it for, etc. Since you have experience with both, all you need to do is be honest with yourself as to what you desire and choose the best pistol for that perceived need.

#4 ·
I own a p30 and recently had a chance to shoot gm535's new FNX9 on two outings. Here are my thoughts on how the two compare to each other:
-HK has the edge on build quality (see my pictures of the parts in the wear threads)
-By extension, I would also bet HK would win any kind of long term reliability test.
-p30 is also more ergonomic. Almost everyone I've spoken to love the way p30 feel in their hands. Not to mention the interchangable side panels in addition to the back strap

But...
-FN seems more accurate to me (might be the sight)
-FN also holds 2 extra rounds over HK, but there's no difference in grip size or magazine size (FN mags are even slightly slimmer than HK mags)
-As you already mentioned, FNX9 is also about 300 to 400 cheaper (almost the price of another gun)

Despite being a big fan of HK, I'd have to recommend the FNX9. For what it's worth FNP9 have gotten some good reviews.

Reactions: QuercusMax
#5 ·
Having both a HK45C and FNX-45, I keep handling both to see how they "feel". I've put quite a few rounds through the H&K, but none through my new FNX since it is wintertime and I don't shoot much in the cold, so I can't compare them from a shooting standpoint, BUT -

My subjective feeling is that I like the "feel" of the FNX better. I know that the H&K gets high marks for its modern ergonomic grip, but I actually like the "pebbled" grip (or whatever you call it) on the FNX better, just as I like the grip on my FsN.

Right now I don't need another gun too badly but a big 9mm is on my short list and thus I keep mulling this over, and the FNX-9 is looking pretty good at the moment. Maybe good that not too many people responded to pour gasoline on my little personal fire....

#6 ·
I would go for the FNS-9 with the night sights. Or a Walther P99 AS.

The HK P30, to me, is an over-priced Walther P99 AS. Only the HK P30 has a terrible trigger compared to the P99 AS from Walther.

The Walther has a better grip, and WAY better trigger. I have a Walther P99 AS with night sights and it's killer.

As a matter of fact, I don't think I've had a better trigger then the one in the P99 AS Dual Action then Single Action with short travel, VERY nice.

Better trigger than ALL others. Once you shoot it, you will be overly impressed. I also have a matching Baby Desert Eagle Fast Action. It uses the same frame and trigger as the Walther, but has an upper slide from Magnum Research. It's a nice gun also. Very overlooked.

Only thing is, Walther P99 AS are kinda hard to find.

#7 ·
P99 is a good pistol and a big part of the reason why I like the p30 is because its similarities to p99 ergo. But I disagree that p99 has better grip; personally I find the smooth texture of the p99 get slippery when my hand is sweaty or wet. And p99 is a tad too small, p30 just fill my hands better. And this might be related to the lack of textured grip but recoil seems slight more manageable with the p30 for me. I think a lot of the price difference is that HK tax. Whether or not you someone into their advertised reliability and quality determines if they think the extra few hundred is worth it. p30 for its part, was put through a 100k round endurance test with minimum cleaning.

Yes, p30 trigger does feel inconsistent, but compare to something like a 1911 all these polymer gun have terrible triggers. Some might dislike the striker fire design or want to carry it cocked and loaded, but that's not really an issue for me.

#8 · (Edited)
Can't compare from a shooter's angle, but from a buyer's angle here's where I was at when I, too, was trying to decide between the P30 and FNX-9:

P30 pros:
-Better feeling grip (best I've ever felt...just my personal O)
-HK reputation, and brand recognition ("HK? Niiiice...")
-Mostly ambi (from what I remember...I'm a SouthPaw 100%)

P30 cons:
-Overpriced @ ~$900, IMO, compared to so many other available options @ ~$450-even $700. Money saved can go towards another gun...cause you KNOW they'll be another gun! lol
-1 less mag than FNX-9
-2 less rounds per mag than FNX-9

FNX-9 pros:
-Good brand reputation among those who know, BUT (see cons below)
-extra mag and extra capacity as stated above
-100% ambi, all the way down to the slide release
-safety AND decocker (not sure about P30)
-decent price. I think one can be had for ~$600, which is within $100 of other competition.

FNX-9 cons:
-poor brand recognition among the masses. People I've told 3 times still ask, "I forget...what kind of gun do you own again?"
-I've read/heard a few stories of lackluster customer service. Not the actual service, but more the "give a **** factor" of customer service. No prsonal experience with them.

-prefers stronger loads, but will shoot almost anything (don't know if this is a pro or con, really)

EDIT:
Cons for both--
Finding aftermarket items is a trick. Holsters, etc. can be a limiting factor. It's getting better, but is still somewhat depressing at times when the dropdownbox goes from CZ straight to Glock...

#12 ·
-100% ambi, all the way down to the slide release
-safety AND decocker (not sure about P30)
p30 is 100% ambidextrous as well including the slide stop. And all DA/SA p30s features decocking button near the hammer. I actually hated the FN's safety/decocking lever initially because I would disengage the safety too far or rest my thumb on it and the hammer would decock. But I got over that after a while.

#11 · (Edited)
Here's more thoughts from todays range time. The HK p30 trigger reset is too far. I was practicing my double tap and was having trouble letting the trigger out far enough to reset. In comparison, FNX9 reset felt shorter, at least I was able to squeeze off a consistent pair shots with fast consecutive trigger pulls. That said, HK still has the edge in terms of recoil management. My two shots grouping (when I did successfully fired two shots) was slightly tighter than the FNX9. Both pistols have C5L units attached, so the weight balance is about the same.

Actually you got me thinking about the P99 successor, the PPQ now. Any experience with that particular handgun?

#13 ·
Thanks to everyone who commented on my original question.

I read everything carefully, and then did something random (just like what most others do when they ask others for advice):

I bought the 9mm P30. Why?

1. While I really like my new FNX-45 Tactical, I also really like my HK45c Tactical. Both really good products from really good brands though.
2. All of my other FNH products are FDE, but the FNX-9 isn't available in FDE. It just wouldn't do to get an FN product that wasn't color-matched to my others. (Meanwhile the black P30 matches my HK45c.) Maybe I should get matching shoes, too.
3. A P30 became available. That might be the real reason.

:lol:

Well not to worry, FN fans. I still own more FN products than H&K by number and by $$$$ value. And that will get a LOT more lopsided if and when I am ever able to complete my FDE collection with a 17S.

#14 ·
Congrats! I have a couple HKs and they are damn fine pistols. I ,myself, am ordering a Sig 1911 tomorrow. I'm not a brand fanboy. A good gun is a good gun...regardless of manufacture. Of course I'm making the assumption I'll be getting a good gun.

#15 ·
Enjoy your new Sig when you get it! Will you like it more because it's a Sig, or because it's a 1911?

I like my 1911's in general, but I don't own anything by Sig ... no real reason for that, other than lack of money perhaps. I wouldn't mind their "baby" 1911 though, a.k.a. the P938.

#18 ·
2" from 75feet with a p30!?! Pics or it didn't happened.

Also I hope you realize p30 isn't intended to shoot +p rounds.

#19 ·
Congrats!
Personally, I think my next few guns will NOT be FNH, just to gain some brand/model experience. I may even get a wheel gun for the hell of it..."type experience". ;)
One big advantage to revolvers is that they eliminate the frustration of the current magazine shortage, and remove any need to be annoyed by "gougers."

Another advantage (for NY residents) is that they don't have to worry about the new 7-round idiocy.

My glass is about 3/4 full. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.