First Gun FNX 45 - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thanks Tree22Thanks

Thread: First Gun FNX 45

No No never, the soon to be fiance. Is ok with the FNX, she has no idea about the gun safe I ordered (which is responsible) and the P90 I'm ordering. Any good 1911's you guys know about?

Walkaf1, thats an excellent idea. thank you for the advice. I enjoy this forum, everyone is very friendly. Much respect for you all!!

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    CONGRATS! ON YOUR NEW FNX-45.
    joeFL thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by joeFL View Post
    Hello All, I purchased the FNX 45, one week ago. It was my first gun ever. I feel in love with it. I know currently a lot of threads have been discussed but i have a few questions. I appreciate anyone taking the time to respond. A little bit of a background, my family does not like guns, it was how they raised me. I live downtown, some crime here and there. Im on the road a lot and need one.

I have only fired a gun twice, this one twice maybe 15 rounds. I was wondering if you all have any tips about sights for the gun? Also whether the laser is a good purchase/ as for accuracy?

i appreciate any response

Joe
    First off... Welcome. Congrats on your purchase!
    Please do not think i am being rude or hard on you.... However, after seeing some of your other posts on the subject I would say SLOW down friend! You just got your first gun last week, and now your ordering a PS90 and a 1911? Take your time! learn how to shoot with your first purchase. learn the gun, how to clean it, how to shoot it, and how to be responsible with it. It is a DEADLY weapon. Learn propper sight picture, propper grip, stance, ect, ect. Once you learn the basics you will be a more informed buyer for your next purchase.

If you are a new shooter, its important to learn the fundamentals. A basic safety course with experienced teachers is a good place to start. you may find (as cool looking as it is) that the PS90 is not for you. Not likely, because it is really cool, but its better to take your time and grow into these things IMO. You may even find down the road that you like other pistols better than the FNX. If you are new to the game, learn the basics first, everything else will take care of itself.

I will start you off with the 4 golden rules of firearms.

1. TREAT EVERY FIREARM AS IF IT WERE LOADED. Allways, Allways, Allways everytime you touch a firearm, even if you just unloaded it yourself, treat it as if it were loaded! this will become a habbit over time.

2. ALLWAYS KEEP THE MUZZEL PONTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION. My grandfather used to call the muzzel the "buisness end". Keep it pointed away from anything you don't want destroyed!

3.KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER. Always keep your finger off of the trigger untill you are aiming at your target and ready to shoot.

4.BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT. Very important to pay close attention to what your shooting at and what is beyond. your bullets can richochet off of rocks, water and other obstacles, and can be potentialy dangerous to you and other in the area.

Again, not trying to put you down or deflate your confidence. We just don't want any extra holes where there should'nt be.
    Have fun, and be safe!
    Last edited by Donnie; 04-24-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    fnx40, joeFL, rasterbox and 1 others thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

^ Great advice
    17S FDE
    SLR104
    SLR107
    SAM7R

Donnie, great advice. I will follow this closely. The price for the PS90 is hard to pass. I could always put a deposit down and take my time. I called my LGS to set up lessons for my GF and I. It could also be something for her to do instead of shop all the time !

Do you all clean it after use it?

A couple of other points i would like to make. Since you say you are a new shooter, and you are obviously eager to learn. You might want to consider getting a good solid bolt action rifle. I know its not as sexy as the PS90, however they are much cheaper, and they force you to slow down and concentrate more on the basics rather than blasting rounds downrange as fast as you can.I am not saying your making a bad choice. only you can descide whether you are or not, its just that when you are learning to drive , its usually best to stick with the Toyota corrola before you jump into a Ferrari. Somethng like a nice Mosin Negant will cost you less than 150 bucks and is a nice rifle with lots of history, and collectability. Bolt actions are fun to shoot, and ammunition for the Negant is somewhat cheap and available. If nothing else it gives you something to play with until you do get a PS90 from layaway or whatever. All the same skill sets you learn for a bolt action will directly apply to a semi-auto....(except maybe mag changes.) There are loads of choices... the Mosin is just one of the best bangs for the buck so to speak.

Don't believe or buy into everything you read/hear online and at gunshops. There are lots of people out there that will think you are an idiot for the choices you make. They think they know best what you need, even if its not what you want. They think if you don't do things their way, or buy the gun that they have, or the accessories they have you are stupid. The only person who knows what is best for you is YOU! Beware of the pitfalls of getting into silly arguments over type of weapon, brand, caliber, or related gear. It happens too often, and most of the time its semantics they are arguing over. Guys tend to be passionate about cars, guns, and girls, and some get a little overly so. my point is whenever someone tells you something or you read something... especially online, do your own research and form you own oppinion. Don't just parrott what someone else says, because sometimes they are wrong.

Lastly there are loads of knowledgable people on this forum. and most all are allways willing to give pointers and good facts... especially about FN Weapons. If you ever have a problem or question i can assure you the guys here can help. And if for some reason they can't they will probably help you find someone who can.

NOW!.... enjoy that pistol... may you allways find the ammo you need, and be safe!
    joeFL and fnx40 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by joeFL View Post
    Do you all clean it after use it?
    Probably depends on what your use is. I would clean it when i first got it, run 50 rounds or so through it , clean it and repeat for the first couple hundred rounds. after that with mine i usually only wipe it down between use untill I get to 250-300 rounds ish, then brake it down and clean it good.

However if I were going to use this gun for self defense. I would probably clean it every time i use it for maximum reliability and probably accuracy. but that's just my

I'm a big fan of the sig 1911s

And I usually clean each use

Couple of things:

Cleaning; I clean the slide, barrel and all of the upper end parts after every trip to the range. If I've been shooting some real dirty ammo I'll clean the mags too. I'll do a full out cleaning when every season changes.

Gun Purchases; this is my 2 cents. Try the caliber out you want 1st and do some research on the brands available and if you can fire one before purchasing it do it. If you like the FNX platform then stick with what makes you comfortable. I was hung up on Glock because "everyone has one". I tried one out and it's a freaking awesome gun. I don't like it as mush as I like the FNX because I prefer hammer fired guns over striker fired and the FNX has a crispness in their trigger that I prefer. Another brand may suit your fancy and that's great also.

Get your chica involved; my wife was never around guns until she met me (she thought as I was crazy when she find out I slept with a .410 loaded under my side of the bed). Get her something too. My old lady thinks a 9 kicks too much so I introduced her to a 38 special and a 380. I hope I never sneak up on her now because I'm a dead man!

Shoot; that's the best way to know your weapon. Also shoot from the platform you'll carry from. I carry IWB so I practice shooting from there when I can. I don't do it all the time, but if I'm not comfortable with shooting out of my holster then I'm setting myself up for failure. As mentioned earlier as well, enroll in some tactical classes.

Ammo; I like to keep close to 1000 rounds of handgun ammo for each gun I have. I don't know why I came up with that number but that's what I try to do. I love to shoot so I buy the stuff in bulk (it's cheaper) so that I'm not getting ripped off at a gun range.

Have fun; I've let people shoot my FNX 40 and 45 at the gun ranges and I've been told every time how awesome the guns are. Also play with a stance that works best for you. I began shooting like Hikock45 on YouTube but changed to more of a competition stance because that works for me and it's a whole lot more fun blowing the center out of targets than splattering the whole page.
    joeFL thanked this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links