First Gun FNX 45 - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thanks Tree22Thanks

Thread: First Gun FNX 45

Quote Originally Posted by pistolero View Post
    Wow, I agree with Lenk, that is one heck of a purchase for your first gun, Thats like purchasing a vette for your first car.
    Nice analogy but I'm thinking more like buying a Monster Truck for your first vehicle! Large and tons of power!

I mean no disrespect but I feel you might be going about this the wrong way. The FNX 45 is an awesome pistol but I also feel it's an "experienced pistol shooters" pistol. I personally would suggest buying a smaller 9mm or .22 pistol to practice the fundamentals and your basic shooting skills. I've watched guys come out and basically wreck themselves because they genuinely bought too big of a gun and/or don't have the right form and skills learned and when they try to learn the right way it's hard to break the habit of their "wrong" way. Which is why the Navy Seals prefer you to have NO knowledge of guns or shooting so when you come in they can train you how they want you to shoot/perform.

Kinda like in archery, You don't wanna go out and buy a 80lb, 6" brace height bow as your first bow, you'll suck and hate it!

Best of luck anyhow buddy!
    joeFL thanked this.

Totally understandable, shot 50 rounds of glock 9MM today and last sat. I ended up shooting my gun 100 rounds today, with the LSG trainer!! Feels smooth. much more accurate. I hated the 9MM

That's the other thing, "too big" of a gun is relative. I felt like the FNX-40 I had was "too big of a gun." Not in size. But it was too big as far as the time, ammo and investment I'd need to feel entirely comfortable with it. Compared to the FNX-45 I picked up, it felt comfortable, more controllable. So instead of training myself to enjoy snappy recoil, I could focus on becoming proficient with the .45.

I agree with the "vette for a first car" analogy. But the .45, for me, was tame compared to the .40.
    joeFL thanked this.
    17S FDE
    SLR104
    SLR107
    SAM7R

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Dude the .40 isn't THAT snappy lol.

I do agree that the .45 is a really soft shooter though.

regardless, the FNX45's we have are really nice guns!

Quote Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
    Dude the .40 isn't THAT snappy lol.

I do agree that the .45 is a really soft shooter though.
    I hated the feel of it lol.

Don't worry -I've already been shamed by my military friends for being sensitive to recoil haha
    17S FDE
    SLR104
    SLR107
    SAM7R

If you haven't done it already, I highly recommend you and your lady take an NRA handgun safety course as soon as possible. It might save your life.

Fitch
    joeFL thanked this.

Hey Joe,

Congratulations on your FNX. Donnie and others have offered you some very good advice. I understand your drive to purchase additional firearms, but would second the advice for you and your lady to get some basic and safety training as a first step.

your tag line sayes you're in South Florida, (big area), so you may be close to several big name trainers or schools. But you may also be close to some less than stellar folks in the training business, those that talk a good talk, but are not at all well taught of. Lots of folks in South Florida claiming to be Tier 1 trainers. My point? RESEARCH the trainer, course, school before spending big bucks. An established NRA Instructor is a good place for basic and safety training. Once you have the basics down and some time on trigger under your belts then check out trainers that can instruct you in more that just shooting, that can add tactics and other solid training to your skill sets.

Dont be afraid to ask questions and be receptive to folks answers and suggestions. Now is a time to be a sponge and a filter, soak it up, but not blindly. There are contradictions and different schools of though in shooting. Not everything works for everybody.
    joeFL thanked this.
    Send lawyers, guns and money, the $#!+ has hit the fan...

Thank you all for the advice. Getting better, much smoother. Still working on my lady, she def see's the all the things i purchase daily for it. So when shes ready she will get private lessons. Thank you all again!

Quote Originally Posted by joeFL View Post
    Any good 1911's you guys know about?

Haha where to begin. Although if you do want a fantastic 1911 full size right out of the box if you can find one get a Springfield Armory TRP, great gun very accurate andfits my hand like a glove.
    For the big $$$ the way to go is Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson.
    I have a Dan Wesson Valor in SS and like it a lot.

Also going out on a limb here and bucking the staus quo, but you should always buy the gun that fits you best and that you like to shoot regardless of caliber.
    a 45acp isn't all that much more in recoil over a 9mm. I dislike the snappier 40S&W but that is just me.
    My wife is a relatively new shooter and she really likes my FNX45T.
    For me the car analogy doesn't fly with guns. You can always have too much power in a car but a firearm unless you are starting with a 500 magnum
    isn't the same. Many farm boys who'd never even been to the big city were given 1911's in WW2.

I'm a firm believer that you should buy the quality gun that you like.
    Consider this, let's say you had started out with a Wilson Supergrade 1911, ok sure over $5k but you'd be spoiled for any other 1911's.
    Doesn't make it a bad choice for a first gun if you have the scratch.
    Last edited by Steve Cebu; 05-10-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    joeFL thanked this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links