Something seriously wrong with my FNX9?

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 1 Post By Vulcan71
  • 1 Post By Vulcan71
  • 1 Post By Vulcan71

Thread: Something seriously wrong with my FNX9?

Something seriously wrong with my FNX9?

I went camping last weekend with a couple buddies. I Took the FNX out for the first time in a while. I did all the cleaning/lubing that i always do before firing it. The first two days it ran flawlessly over the course of about 100 rounds. On the morning we were to return home I decided to spend the last 10 or so rounds I had left. When I went to rack the slide, the slide stayed back, as if it were an empty magazine and the mag had just locked the slide back like it supposed to. This was not the case. I took removed the slide via the take down lever and discovered something really odd.

If I have the hammer back and engage the safety I am supposed to have full play in the trigger. Now, if I pull the hammer back and engage the safety and try to move the trigger, it moves the hammer back and forth as if the safety is not engaged at all. Also, I can not dry fire the weapon at all. If the hammer is back and I try to de-cock it, the hammer falls about half way and just stays there, it never even approaches the firing pin.

I have never shot +P loads or any home made loads out of the weapon. I have ALWAYS properly cleaned and stored the weapon. It has 3000+ rounds through it with MAYBE 10 FTE's/double feeds/etc...I have inspected it as well as I can without disassembling the lower and I cannot see any signs of excessive wear anywhere on the weapon. All the springs and pins appear to be as they came form the FN factory. I am by no stretch a gunsmith and the thought of taking apart the trigger/safety mechanisms scares me, because I am quite sure I am not qualified to put it all back together properly.

Has anyone else with ANY FNX expereinced anything like this? Could it just be a worn out component? Should I take it a gunsmith? Should I just package it up and send it back to FN? Like I said the weapon has been nearly flawless for me. I am saddened that my baby is just sitting in her case broken, and is nothing more than a paper weight right now.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Garrett
    FNX 9mm

speak softly, carry a big stick

No, that is not normal. When the safety is engaged the hammer should not move. When you press the decocking lever the hammer will not fully return but should not be half-way. Are you left handed?
    Shooter410 thanked this.
    Ex cineribus resurgam

yes I am left handed, but I am not sure what that has to do with anything. I know that this malfunction is not normal because I searched both this forum and Google to see if there were any similar problems going around. I found nothing. I messed with it a little bit today with the upper off...it seems as though the mechanism that allows the hammer to fall all the way is not full disengaging. I did not try to disassemble anything for fear of breaking/losing parts.

Should I just send it back to FN?
    FNX 9mm

speak softly, carry a big stick

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE's Avatar
    Dang, sorry to hear this...

Could you please make a video of this malfunction?
    Make no mistake my friend. It isn't the revenge I'm after, it's the reckoning.

Homo Qui Spectat Mortem.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    yes and after the video thats for the sake teaching others you should most certainly send that back to FNH.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

Try replicating the issue while using your right hand. The decocking/safety lever is weaker on the left side due to design (see various posts on the subject). I am guessing there is a problem with your pistol and pictures would help.
    jathtech thanked this.
    Ex cineribus resurgam

good call on the left handedness of the shooter. That's most likely the problem.

Actually jathtech, you are the expert on this topic. I like your new stainless steel safety lever.
    jathtech thanked this.
    Ex cineribus resurgam

Sponsored Links