FNX.45 or 1911 - Page 2

FN Forum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thanks Tree9Thanks

Thread: FNX.45 or 1911

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    The FNX-45 is a reliable, soft-shooting and high capacity. I moved mine the position of primary house gun.

The 1911 is a classic. Some are finicky, some are not. I've been lucky with mine and they run well. They do need a bit more attention when it comes to cleaning and lube.

Honestly, for me, both is the answer. As much as I love my FNX, I couldn't imagine not owning a 1911.

Here's my lineup:

LESTER and Kev thanked this.
    “All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” - Hunter S. Thompson

The 1911 had it's day and at one time was the best to be had.
    No more.

Buy the FNX-45 and don't look back.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    HARD QUESTION TO ANSWER WHEN THEY BOTH ARE EXCELLENT HANDGUNS. I WOULD BUY THE FNX FIRST THEN BUY A 1911 YOU HAVE TO HAVE BOTH IF YOU LOVE A 45.
    Kev thanked this.

Kev
    Lots of great suggestions on here. I thinking picking up the FNX first is the best option as well. Then start hunting for a 1911 to add later on.
    LESTER thanked this.
    Contrary to popular belief, I know exactly what I'm doing.

If its a nightstand (HD) or just range gun, go FN. Cant beat capacity and you don't have to worry about hiding the thing in CC. If its going to be a carry option at all go with 1911 for slimmer profile. My $0.02.
    "If you're gonna shoot, shoot... don't talk." ~ The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

A WELL MADE and tuned 1911 is going to be the best bet. But they come at a costi had multiple 1911s until I discovered dan Wesson. There 1911s are the closest you can come to custom before you spend the big bucks. All parts are hand fitted and even though they are production guns most ppl still consider them as a "semi custom" 1911. I have the DW valor full govt size and when I got my fnx +rmr I shot it a bunch and it is an amazing gun but I always find myself coming back to my 1911. True the 1911 is harder to disassemble but the all metal parts I'm not worried about breaking some small piece of bending something the wrong way and once you learn it its not that big of a deal. The fnx is a fantastic gun and is accurate as hell. I never thought I would find a plastic gun that shoots as well as my DW but the fnx comes mighty close and it may just be the fact I have much more training behind the 1911 then the fnx. Only thing I don't like about almost any FN product is lack of aftermarket support. Yeah you can find mags if you wait long enough and jump on them as soon as you get the notify email. Also I don't think any other pistol design can come close to the level of trigger crispness and break that a 1911 can have. But not all 1911 have a great trigger but any competent gunsmith can turn your 1911 into a work of art (at a cost). Fnx is a good gun and I'm glad I bought it but if I had to choose just one gun to own (glad I'm not in a position I do) it would be 1911.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "The better part of valor is
    discretion, in the which better part I have sav'd my life."

All I can say is that my RO is not finicky. I own and carry both guns. If you carry a 1911, it is definitely wise to carry an extra mag or two. I can shoot the FNX45 almost as good as the RO. For a CC gun you need one that is completely reliable with your carry ammo......whatever you choose.

Senior Member MikeyLikesCarbonFiber's Avatar
    It's all going to come down to personal preference. I love my FNX-45 but personally, nothing beats a 1911. For me, nothing feels better then shooting a 1911. I don't know if you have the opportunity to shoot a quality 1911 but if you do, try it out and then see what you want to get.

If you really are torn between the two, you need to shoot each one and then make your decision.
    Lost all my guns in an unfortunate schmelting accident.

9/11/01 - Never Forget

Member Hits The Target
    Quote Originally Posted by bixby View Post
    I'm looking into picking up a .45 and have been mulling over the options. Of course the FNX and FNS come to mind so that is one choice; the other is a good old fashion 1911. I've not shot either of the FN pistols but I did like the trigger feel when I was in the store. There is an FNX available right now for $699 with a fourth mag free with purchase.

lots of manufacturers to choose from in the 1911 category and a lot of different price points. The other option, and not too likely was the Sig Scorpion 4" barrel but it may be too pricey for me.

What do you think I should do?
    My first pistol was a Sig Scorpion Carry. I loved it, modified it, and was extreamly happy with it. Then one day I shot a FNX 45. I never picked up the scorpion again so I sold it. I think it's like going from a 60's muscle car to a new Porsche or something. Both are awesome at what they do but it's preferance as well as the difference of what time has done to the world. FNX seems smoother than my amazing 1911 trigger job and just more user friendly. Plus you get twice as much firepower with the FNX.
    Are you insane? One man against trained commandos... Who do you think this man is? God?
    No. God would have mercy. He won't.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

I competed with 1911s for years. I used to be a diehard 1911 fan. They are one of the best gun designs ever. Having said all of that, I just sold my last 1911. It was a Springfield TRP in Armory Kote.

Now I just have my FNX Tactical. Life is too short to waste it reloading!
    "With that being said, I understand that human nature has a way of filtering fairness through one’s own views and desired outcome."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links