FNX 45 little issues.

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree2Thanks

Thread: FNX 45 little issues.

FNX 45 little issues.

Well this is first post, so hello members.
    Alright. I went out and shot my new FNX 45 for the first time a week ago, it was 3 degrees here in Minnesota and it stove piped on my mother when I let her shoot it. She had gotten a Ruger SR1911 commander that day so we thought it'd be fun to fire our new pistols for the first time together. Hers had several FTF issues and when she shot mine it stove piped on her once. No I don't still live at home, parents live in the country and have land to shoot. Anyway, to be fair, she limp wristed really bad, it was brand new and as stated before 3 degrees. The only other issue I have was noticed immediately upon getting the pistol home. The larger size curved back strap is very warped like it was melted or something. Has anyone else experienced this? Where can I get another? That Midwest website only has FDE back straps on their site and mine is black.

Thanks,
    Brawhit.
    Last edited by brawhit; 12-20-2013 at 06:00 AM.
    57 Freak thanked this.

What kind of ammo were you shooting? Did you strip the gun and clean it prior to your first outing?

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    TO THE FORUM CONGRATS! ON YOUR NEW FNX-45 CALL FN'S CUSTOMER SERVICE ON YOUR BACKSTRAPS THEY WILL HELP YOU 1-800-635-1321

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

If the pistol is not stable it will cause FTF issues improper hold (limp-wristing) and other function problems. I would work on shooting mechanics and address any ammo, lubrication, cleaning or break-in issues if any (see newbies guide or owners manual). You can order the part from FNH-USA or midwestgunworks.com or ask FNH-USA to correct the problem. The parts are injection molded so it is a bad part (a bad run). What grain ammo are you using, if it is 185gr try 230gr.
    Ex cineribus resurgam

Firstly, I would field strip it and use a solvent cleaner on the internal parts (I use carb cleaner) and then oil it well...probably more than you would normally an then shoot 100 rounds out it using a brass cased shell....Winchester or Remington will work fine....NO CHEAP Russian or aluminum/steel cased ammo.. Field strip it again and re-clean, now you can minimize the lube you use. If I use cheap ammo it will stove pipe every shot. You want to hold the gun firmly, the FNX-45 should not rise too much (2-3 inches) and should settle back on target. Try really limp wristing the gun and fire...it will rise up 12+ inches and it will probably stove pipe on you. I have broken in 4 FNX-45s and they all behave in exactly the same way I just described. I hope this helps.
    pjmarshake thanked this.

I was using herters 230gr FMJ. Cheap stuff but brass cased. I really thing that one stove pipe it did on my mother was her limpwristing it so bad, neither me or my father had any issues. My issue is that back strap being so warped. I'll try adding a photo. Hopefully it'll be visible in picture. An yes I striped, cleaned and lubed before firing. Always do with all my guns before firing them for the first time.

Photo upload failed on stupid iPhone. Sorry guys. But I found a deal on Gunbroker. Some guy had 5 back straps. 2 black, 3 FDE. I believe he has the black large curved aggressive back strap that I have that's warped. His appears good. I won the auction for $1.24, $3.50 for shipping. Even if it's not what I need I'm out less than $5. Thanks for all the replies. I was just curious if anyone else had the same problems with their back straps or not. I couldn't find much about it online. Other than these little issues I love the pistol. It accompanies my Gen 4 FDE Glock 35 on my belt everyday. I got a Pro Carry 7 FNX 45 leather holster made by "The Holster Store" for it that works very nicely.

Send the back straps back to FNH, they will resend new ones ASAP, I just had them send me some.

Just joined not too long ago as well, no, issues with straps but glad to hear you found some. See you around and gl with new FNX-45 tac.
    FNX-45 Tactical, Black
    Sig P250c 9/45

My FNP-45 is now one year in the hand. Only one failure and that was my daughter shooting it for the very first time and she limp wristed it. Once I explained what had happened, she never did it again. I have not had any issues otherwise with this gun.
    FNP-45

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links