New FNX 40, my mods and CCW holsters

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 2 Post By HB32
  • 1 Post By little_scrapper

Thread: New FNX 40, my mods and CCW holsters

New FNX 40, my mods and CCW holsters

So I've had a FNP 40 since 2006 but discovered a few months ago when slow pulling the trigger all the way back the hammer would not drop on ~1 out of 8 pulls. I brought it to a gunsmith and without going into a lot of detail, FN was gracious enough to send me their FNX 40 as a replacement. My FNP holsters fit it just fine. This is my EDC gun. I have field stripped and cleaned it and based on other forum threads I have the slide locked back now to ease up that recoil spring a little.

I installed rubber talon grips on it which I love. They have the perfect amount of texture without being rough against bare skin. The seams meet at the back of the grip but they feel solid and not at all like the edges are going to peel up. Part of the installation was using a hairdryer to warm them and that step is what really made them solid.

I painted the rear sights black and front sight a fluorescent orange which is what I prefer. I had this same setup on my FNP. Really let's me pickup on the front sight quick. Used fingernail polish and a cut toothpick to paint them.

i generally use an IWB natural leather holster from Cover 6 gear. If you haven't seen one I highly suggest you check out their website. The single point swivel on the bottom allows you to change the cant anytime and you can loosen/tighten the screw to make it tougher or easier to tilt. (They have a video demonstration which explains it better than I can) Great for sitting down in the car and adjusting it forward so your not getting stabbed in the side. Amish made. This is my go to holster.

i also use a black Galco holster for the times that my pants are too tight to wear my IWB holster. This holster stays very snug against your body and is very concealable. It's awesome being able to carry a full size pistol OWB and being able to conceal it no problem.

This is my first post on the forum so just wanted to show how I carry and maybe pick up some knowledge. I am trying to upload pics from my phone but can't figure it out yet. Open to any feedback, tips, suggestions, etc

-HB

Five boxes preserve our freedoms: Soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge.

Photos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jhs27275; 12-11-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: merge posts
    Canyon Man and 9mikemike thanked this.

Now you just need to do color fill on the FN Logo on the side. Take wifes/GF's black nail polish and blob on a thick bead over the logo. Then use a plastic straight edge of your choice to "squeegee" off the excess. There will be a slight film left around the logo. That is perfectly OK. Let it dry a few hours and then take a rag with Acetone free nail polish remover and give it a very light wipe a couple times to remove the thin film around the logo; leaving only a perfectly filled logo. Mine lasted 6 months of weekly use cleaning every week. When it started to wear off I just re-did it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Canyon Man thanked this.

I had an FNP 40 USG with the FDE frame that I bought new years ago. I discovered the hammer would not fall when firing double action and FNH paid for me to send it in. They advised me they did not have the parts anymore to fix it and sent me an FNX 40 to replace it just like yours! I sure did like that FDE frame on the FNP though.
    Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best and it removes all that is base. -General George S. Patton.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

I dig those FNX pistols. I've got the FNS long slide in .40. I keep dreaming of a long slide in the FNX series...but still just a dream lol. I go back and forth between the rubber wrap around grips. I hands down like the Butler Creek or identical Uncle Mikes rubber grips better. They look deceivingly cheap in the package, but put them on your pistol...yeah you'll smile ear to ear. They feel much stickier in the hand, and have a much better feel when firing the pistol. It makes the recoil a joy...No I'm not exaggerating lol.

The photo I posted is a bit outdated. I got rid of the rubber grips. I got the grips because when I was just getting back into shooting the bare grips were a bit too aggressive.

However nice and comfy the rubber grips are, the rubber seems to allow more movement from recoil. Probably a combo of the grips stretchiness and sweaty palms. The bare grips dont slip even with wet hands and I shoot a bit more accurately and consistently this way. Texture doesnt bother me at all now.

Sponsored Links