New FNX-45 - one of three mags not locking slide back, gets stuck

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By djv38
  • 1 Post By WaltSherrill

Thread: New FNX-45 - one of three mags not locking slide back, gets stuck

New FNX-45 - one of three mags not locking slide back, gets stuck

Hey there. New FNX-45 Tactical owner. Getting ready to go to the range for the first time with the new FNX, after cleaning the gun, I numbered my mags and cycled them each through the gun (empty). One mag (again empty) would not hold the slide locked back. Also couldn't eject it. Finally managed to get it lose holding the slide back manually and pressing down the follower and "resetting". Tried it a few cycles of dropping the mag, locking the slide back, releasing, locking back and sometimes this same mag was OK, and sometimes it would fail to engage the slide lock.

I can't tell if the follower occasionally gets hung up on the slide catch (keeping it from releasing), but when it happens, it looks like the follower is off to the side a bit (missing the metal lip it's supposed to push up) and then the metal lip (sorry don't know the exact name), is digging into the side of the plastic follower.

Anyone else see this problem?

haven't had that issue, but sounds like you might need a new follower.
    Kakashi66218 thanked this.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

If it were mine, I'd disassemble one of the good mags and the problem one, being sure to keep their respective parts APART, and compare the good to the bad... That might let you see where the problem is. (It could be something as simple as the follower, or something different, like a bump in the mag tube, a defective spring, etc.)

If you can't see a difference, call FNH and ask for a new mag -- after explaining what you've done to investigate the problem.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 04-15-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    Kakashi66218 thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. It happened again with one of the "good" mags. The plastic follower is riding up over the inside slide lock tab. Then the metal tab gets jammed into the soft plastic follower. I have to get a small flat blade screwdriver in there to push over the follower to free it. Having a slide not lock back is one thing, but having it jam inside the gun is catastrophic/lethal. This is my first plastic gun and I'm not impressed. I checked the mags and followers in my Sigs and Berettas and there's no side to side play (and the followers are metal).

I'll contact FN on Monday and will send them pics of the hung-up mag. Can't believe this hasn't cropped up before. Comparing how the Sig follower forces a slide lock to the FN is night and day. The FN design is really sloppy. You should see how the followers are randomly marred where they are supposed to engage with the slide lock.
    Last edited by DaveG; 04-15-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Take a picture of it. If I remember correctly, FN did change the follower design at some point.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Have you tried shooting the mag fully loaded? I'm not saying that you don't have a bad mag cause that happens. You stated that every thing is new so break in might be a necessity. Do you by chance know when it was manufactured? Also what ammo are you using?

I would also range test the magazines before contacting FN. New magazine springs will take a "set" after being used a while so after the magazines have been broken in, the springs will shorten a bit and the followers may no longer jam against the slide stop. If you want to set the magazine springs faster, you can fully load and let them sit for about a week or so then retest them.

Sponsored Links