FNX 45 Tactical Issues

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree43Thanks

Thread: FNX 45 Tactical Issues

Angry FNX 45 Tactical Issues

I purchased an fnx45 tactical about a week ago, i bought three boxes of ammo with it one box of tula 230gr, one box of wolf 230gr and one box of perfecta 230gr. got the gun home and excited to shoot my new 1200 dollar toy i loaded up a mag with tula let the slide home and ran out back to shoot. first mag had 7 fail to eject and two stovepipes (tula 230gr) , disappointed i went in and pulled it apart, noticing it was bone dry i oiled it with some remoil and put fireclean on the slide rails and lock up points on the barrel. then i loaded up the wolf ammo in a mag and the perfecta ammo in a mag, went back out side and shot, wolf would not cycle a single round with out a stovepipe or fail to eject causing the slide to try feeding an empty. Perfecta cycled 15/16 rounds fired and jammed on the last round....... while im relatively sure this is just a low pressure ammo issue..... THIS IS A F@#$ing $1200 GUN IT SHOULD NOT BE PICKY WITH AMMO!!!!! i went online looking for replacment recoil springs that would actually let my gun cycle things other that higher pressure defensive ammo or a expensive brand of fmj's and i found absolutely nothing. midwest gun works was the only place i found that carried parts for the fnx and they didnt carry fnx45 parts only 40 and 9. thye did have fnp 45 parts but im not sure if they would fit and they didnt have reduced power springs anyway. any ideas????? Also forgot to mention while cycling some expensive hornady stuff through it (which cycled just fine, once again making me believe the jams were from a spring being to stout) i noticed the safety on the left side of the gun tends to dig into my hand under recoil and caused quite a sore spot on the side of my thumb after only about 100 rnds, this gun really doesnt recoil much at all compared to my other 45's so this really shouldnt be happening, iv shot upwards of 1000rnds in a couple hours of class with my m&p45 with zero sore spots. is anyone aware of why the heck FN would make the safety in such an uncomfortable shape and is anyone aware of any modification or replacement parts for a more rounded and smooth safety or am i going to have to wear gloves for extended range sessions with my gun that will only shoot expensive ammo? i found one guy on here that appears to have sanded his down but it looked pretty rough and i dont wish to butcher my $1200 pistol

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    Put kerosene in your vehicle and see how that works out. After all, kerosene is flammable and internal combustion engines by definition should run on any flammable liquid considering they cost $20,000, $30,000 or hell even upwards of $250,000!!!

You're feeding a premium defensive pistol sh*tty ammo and blame the pistol. I hear Hi-points love sh*tty low powered ammo so I would suggest getting one and selling off that overpriced unreliable and ammo picky Premium defensive pistol.
    Mntsnow and IGC224 thanked this.

FNX works fine for most people if you run normal non steel cased ammo in it. Maybe this platform is not for you

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

What a lot of us have done is leave the slide locked back for a couple of days in the safe. Helps release some of the tension. And I agree, better ammo is key. I actually shot Aguila 230 and it ran fine.
    StephenM thanked this.

well STL i was actually looking for a fix instead of an excuse for the gun, Im assuming your a bit of a fan boy, as you said this is a PREMIUM DEFENSIVE PISTOL, no excuses for not firing ammo that meets cip as well as saami spec.... in fact direct from FN's website it states the pistol will reliably feed anything meeting those standards. I have a sig220 and a sig227 as well as an M&P45 (all of which i and most would consider "premium defensive handguns") and they eat up any ammo i feed them. im Looking for an actual solution to my problem not a rant about how great the pistol is and how its not its fault. your comparison of kerosene in my vehicle is pretty ridiculous if i got on hear saying my 45 wouldnt reliably cycle 40s&w sure that would be a reasonable comparison but thats not the case. my 45 wont cycle 45 unless its brass cased and high pressure i believe the car equivalent of that would be "my f150 only runs on well Exxon 92 octane gasoline" ......... with that in mind are there any fixes to this problem OTHER THAN running higher dollar ammo? I REALLY REALLY WANT THIS GUN TO WORK AND WORK WELL, iv invested to much money in it and shoot way too high volume to constantly run american made brass case with my current salary. Vertigosol, possibly not if i cant get the gun to cycle in spec ammo, I do really like the gun but i cant afford to buy bulk amounts of premium american ammo because the gun is finicky, i generally attend 2-3 fighting pistol classes a year and depending on the class the supplies list generally calls for between 1500-3000 rnds of ammo, buying 3000 rnds i generally save over $350 going with steel case and it usually runs flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubiconag View Post
    What a lot of us have done is leave the slide locked back for a couple of days in the safe. Helps release some of the tension. And I agree, better ammo is key. I actually shot Aguila 230 and it ran fine.
    Thanks, that was the kind of response i was looking for.... a possible fix.... and yes i know if i run hotter ammo it will eat it up, it eats up hornady CD but i dont want to have to run hotter ammo, i had hopes of making this my go to pistol but a big part of that for me is being able to eat up anything in spec that i can get my hands on. its very frustrating because i know its a good design, just needs a slightly (like probably 1-2lb) lighter recoil spring, the Perfecta ammo it (mostly) cycled was just barely rolling out of the chamber and landing at my feet, the hornady was being shot almost 6 feet away. I ran into the same issue with my Delta 10mm , it came from the factory with 22lb springs and wouldnt cycle any low pressure ammo, ordered a 20lb and an 18 lb (which is what my glock20 came with) . ran flawlessly with the 20lb

If you shoot in such high volume like 2-3k per class I would highly suggest getting into reloading. You can pump 1k out in a good hour or so on a progressive and then turn you loads to whatever platform you run. Hate to say it again but steel case ammo is just a disaster waiting to happen. I have seen more squibs, explosions and general malfunctions with that ammo than anything else. Maybe try putting 1-2k of quality brass through it to wear it in before trying low powered stuff. As far as premium defense pistol, I had more issues than any other 45 I had with my fnx tact. I ended up selling it because it was not up to spec in my book. Not all guns are suited to everyone
    bayonet14 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigosol View Post
    If you shoot in such high volume like 2-3k per class I would highly suggest getting into reloading. You can pump 1k out in a good hour or so on a progressive and then turn you loads to whatever platform you run. Hate to say it again but steel case ammo is just a disaster waiting to happen. I have seen more squibs, explosions and general malfunctions with that ammo than anything else. Maybe try putting 1-2k of quality brass through it to wear it in before trying low powered stuff
    I do reload but mostly for hunting rounds and precision loads, with the set up i have its honestly not worth my time, or at least under the assumption i can run russian made stuff at about the same cost. what steel case brands have you seen blow up, i have seen actually quite the opposite, particularly during the ammo crisis right after sandy hook i attended a class in TN and saw a crazy amount of issues (squibs, double charges, split casings) from guys running ammo from american plants cranking out rounds as fast as they could, didnt see any of that from guys running tulammo and wolf. as far as guns not reliably cycling steel case, 90% of the time its because the guns have stiff springs in them and steel case is generally pretty mildly loaded. IMO if it meets saami and cip standards it should cycle in my gun. thats just me though. Any ideas on were i could find a different spring for the fnx45? ********EDIT***** ALSO WHAT OTHER ISSUES DID YOU HAVE BEFORE SELLING YOURS?
    Last edited by StephenM; 05-14-2016 at 02:17 AM.

Have you read and tried the suggestions in the thread

Newbie’s Guide to Trouble Free Ownership of the FNX

I have an FNX45T that I've only had a few weeks, 1st time to own a FN product. Bought it because of the high capacity mags and the suppressor ready setup. I tore it down and greased everything up with a Moly based grease that I have purchased that was designed for Beeman Air Rifles.

I haven't had a problem - of any kind. The loads I have been running are in the 900 fps realm with 230 grain bullets. They duplicate the Winchester PDX1 230 grain factory ammo.

I too have been looking for alternative recoil spring setups. The only one I have found is from DPM.

I have one of these in my G21 and it works fine.

I'm looking to convert the 45T to a 460 Rowland. I will need to have the ability to change out recoil springs to tune the gun to the load. I have thought of using the DPM and purchasing some Wolff Springs of different weights for this purpose.

This gun was designed to shoot NATO Spec 45 ACP. It is a little hotter than your common off the shelf varieties. I would stick to the more powerful ammo for a couple thousand rounds and follow the guidelines in the above link.

Good Luck.
    BigBuckeyeGuy and StephenM thanked this.

The search function on the forum will help you greatly. Use it, learn about the pistol you purchased. Read your manual, try real ammo and not cheap ammo. There is nothing wrong with the pistol, FN got it right. Sounds like much user error here. Clean the pistol as directed before firing, keep the slide locked back for a week or two, use real ammo and not cheap ammo and you will have no problem. There are hundreds of us one this forum who run the FNX 45 and FNX45 T without a single issue but then again we followed the manual and the tips on the forum and didn't skimp on ammo. After you do those things and have several more range sessions please come back and let us know about you experience.
    kansas, Longknife and fan45acp thanked this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links