Elcan Scopes? - Page 2

FN Forum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elcan Scopes?

Have you taken a look at the Elcan Specter-DR ?? I have decided to replace my TA-01 Acog with one and have had mine order for about 4 months now, It will be in around December. I've seen two for sale over at ARF.com. Though it's a little more expensive than the M145 and OS3.4, It's less bulky and has the ability to switch from 1X to 4X and has a battery operated LED, hence no tritium replenishment issues.

Banned Hits The Target
    The early ones had a zero problem on the M60 for sure...and did a little better on the saw.

The current crop on the M4 are no problem, but they ARE bulky. For house clearing they are not the way to go!

Tritium is not a safety issue....it's a longevity and brightness issue. Illuminated reticles either way always made me laugh......unless you have IR or thermal...after dusk a lighted reticle is worthless.....you can't see the target, but you can see the reticle

I have heard of zero loss on the Specter DR just switching it from magnified to non-magnified, but have no proof to back that up.
    They are now on a number of revisions however...

Tritium is excellent for dusk/dawn and bright moonlit nights, and there is no question the Elcan's low light gathering abilities are superb.

Keep in mind, if you are running IR there is a good chance your opposite number has the ability to see you too!

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    Has anyone tried the new Elcan Specter RD? This is not to be confused with the DR. The RD is simply a 1x red dot sight.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinel
    Have you taken a look at the Elcan Specter-DR ??
    Thats the one I think I'm going to go with.

Just my Thoughts,

I really dont think i would put a Elcan on a FS2000. I would really consider a Eotech. Thats unless quick aqusition is not what your after, but longer shots are what your going for, because you do have the choice of both with the FS2000. I absolutely do love mine, I havent had it long, but the rifle is made for a scope of some type, those iron sites are backup sites and thats all. The first time I fired it it was right as dusk and I know 50 yards is not very far, but it was getting dark. I pilled a yellow small ronson zippo lighter fluid container on top of a couple of things I had stacked up and used the iron sites. Free standing right at 50 yards maybe more and the 2nd shot knocked the Ronson lighter fuel off, I spent about about 15 to 20 more rounds in fairly fast rapid fire figuring it would just be all over the place but to my surprise I could cover ever shot fired up with a quarter. I was surprised and my brother in law, who I respect as a good shot was impressed with my shooting. This coming from a guy I saw drop a deer in a dead run with one round out of a mini 14 at 250 yards. And I am not stretching it. What ever you do with that FS2000 you will be happy, but I own a Elcan (its broke right now, I need the windage adjustment screws) Anybody know where to find them? The whole base runs over $300.00 from Elcan, and I find that just to pricey for a couple of screws. Anyway I have the Eotech also, on a short Colt SP1, close to a M4 so its a short barrel compared to that FS2000, but that FS2000 is built short, Bulpup style and made for CQB. Which is why I prefer the Eotech and you can get good range out of it too, further than a someone firing a AK at you is going to make.[/img]

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Domain1 : Which Elcan do you have? Do you have the Elcan Specter-DR?
    I would rather get the Elcan Specter-DR over the eotech because at a flip of a lever, you can go from 1X to 4X magnification. It also has a smaller MOA(0.5 MOA) than the eotech(1 MOA). IMO, for long range and CQB, its the best of both worlds all in one sight.

-----
    Elcan 1x/4x SpecterDR Optical Sight

Specifications
    Weight (g): 580
    Illuminated Dot/Crosshair

Size (mm): 153 x 74 x 78
    Eye Relief (mm): 70
    Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 146.3 - 34.2
    Exit Pupil (mm): 8
    Basic Information
    Fixed Focus Range (m): 20 to infinity
    Battery Type: DL 1/3N (3v Lithium)
    Battery Life: 600 hours minimum, 3000 hours average
    Ballistic Calibration: 100m - 600m for 5.56 carbine, 700 - 1000m for 5.56 LMG
    Adjustment Resolution: 0.5 MOA
    Adjustment Range: 120 MOA
    Base Requirement: Mil-Std-1913 'Picatinny Rail'
    Attachment: Mil-Std-1913 'Picatinny Rail'

Environmental (Waterproof): 66 feet for 2 hours min
    Environmental (Shockproof): 450 g's

That is sweet - but probably much more than an Eotech.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter cabrito's Avatar
    very interesting....

is this a "both eyes open" optic?

what's the average price?
    if you do not know yourself as well as your enemies, you will succumb in every battle.
    --Sun Tzu

Banned Hits The Target
    All the Elcans are standard 'one eye' scopes, and depending on the one you want, prices start at $1000 and go up from there!

The eotech and red dots are for a different use....a scope is mission specific.

I'f I have to used optics....an eotech is for room and small area clearing.....an Elcan is a general purpose sight engineered to work better than standard iron sights.

There really is no comparison between the two types since the intended use is different. It's like comparing a humvee to a duece and a half...can't do it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links