What magazines work best with FS2000? - Page 2

FN Forum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Hits The Target
    We use ranger floor plates with HK mags and they work great. We may switch to Emags and plates, if and when we hear more positive Intel. A primary focus for shooters is staying on target during a mag change. Or at the very least, viewing target during change out without having to look around. The FS2000 isn't the easiest weapon to swap mags if you choose not to leave your spent mags behind. It can take a bit of practice, but possible.

There is a lot of discussion on removing the rubber skirt for a "drop free" configuration, with both good and bad issues on both sides of the fence. It really is user preference, but the skirt was designed and placed in the weapon for a reason. Same as the missing LRBHO. If you look closely at the rubber skirt in the well, you can see tiny nibs that protrude and fit into the grooves on a standard FN magazine. Fits the same on most steel, aluminum, or SS mags. These "nibs" are the biggest struggle with quick changing, and not the entire skirt itself.

Instead of removing the skirt all together, or leaving it alone and struggling every time, we disassembled our weapon and carefully shaved down the skirt around the perimeter with a #11 exacto blade. This removed the "nibs" but left a portion of the skirt intact for its original purpose. The benefit is a "drop free" full mag, or a nearly "drop free empty. While this doesn't protect the well as much as the original design, we found it works better than completely removing the skirt, and doesn't have the “wobble” other complain about after a full skirt pull. Which brings me to the Swap.

If your chest or thigh rig holds your secondary mags, remove it via a palm grip (all four fingers on one side, palm the other) by the ranger plate. Your index can serve as a stabilizer while the mag is supported in your palm just between your first finger and thumb. With the curve of the mag up (thumb side), projectiles facing down, place the second mag beside the primary in an "L" fashion, slipping your pinky into the Ranger Plate hole (pinky not necessary, but helpful). The same hand that hold both mags can then lift the index and third finger to extract the primary magazine by pushing the mag release. Pull down to free the mag, then rotate the wrist to reload the secondary magazine and place the empty back in your carrier without removing your eye from target, or finger from the trigger zone. I slip my pinky in the primary magazine so the mag can naturally fall free and assume position to be place back in the carrier. I'm a lefty, so to access the charging handle I reach under the weapon and up to cycle a round.

I am not a sport shooter, So I am sure there are many other guys that have great suggestions on this forum based on a similar, better, or different technique. I “strong arm” magazines, meaning my recommendation may scratch the surfaces of a new set of shiny mags by working them against one another. Thus my above mentioned interest in the polymer Emag. But in an bad situation, no one cares what the mags look like, as long as they work!

Thanks for the information guys, but I'm in NJ and I have a 15 round limit. What do you guys know of these two magazines:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eshoppingca...eItemID=613088

and

http://www.riflegear.com/p-578-magpu...-223556mm.aspx

Thanks for your opinions...

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu
    Thanks for the information guys, but I'm in NJ and I have a 15 round limit. What do you guys know of these two magazines:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eshoppingca...eItemID=613088

and

http://www.riflegear.com/p-578-magpu...-223556mm.aspx

Thanks for your opinions...
    Your first link is to an empty shopping cart, so that was no good.

The Magpul is going to need some alteration with a file and or Dremel so it fits in the mag well. The dust skirt may give you a headache also. You can always take the skirt out, so the mags will drop free.

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ORDERS:

AUTHORIZED FN LE/Mil DISTRIBUTOR & 07 LICENSED FIREARM MANUFACTURER

Now Accepting All Major Credit Cards

Sgt:
    here is the link: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=548512

Sorry about that. As for the skirt, I already took it out-it made taking out a magazine really annoying.

So the PMAG will STILL need work even after the skirt is removed?
    Thanks.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Another member in Jersey, and I think he went the PRI route. Never heard back from him as to function. I would surf for a cheaper price. $40 is steep, but that's Midway...

Yes the Magpuls all require some of the ribs to be reduced in height in order to fit the FS2K, except for the E mags. Somebody posted pics of the mod in the FS2K threads to P mags. I can't remember if it was the accessories or the modifications thread, but it's here.

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

ORDERS:

Thanks a ton again and as soon as I find my camera I'll post up my FS2K. I'll probably grab some PRI mags and post a review on them once I get them heated up on the range.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu
    Thanks a ton again and as soon as I find my camera I'll post up my FS2K. I'll probably grab some PRI mags and post a review on them once I get them heated up on the range.
    You're welcome.

I wouldn't buy more than one to start. If it chokes, you're only dealing with one dud. If you get five and they all choke on you, then you've got a real migraine.

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

ORDERS:

I'm from Jersey but went the C-Products route, they seem to be the only ones that offer a lanced 15 which works perfect in my fs2k

Forgot to mention they were only like $13 each and already had magpul-esque gen 3 followers. Bought direct from C-Products out of CT I think? Google 'em and they should come up.

Blitzkrieg:
    Is this the one you purchased? Did you have to add the tacticpul or did it come standard with this mag?

http://www.cproductsllc.com/shop/pro...products_id=73

Thanks,
    BH

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links