Google Search
Thanks Tree4Thanks
  • 1 Post By tutamen
  • 1 Post By Dizzy82
  • 2 Post By STL

Thread: hammer group assembly

hammer group assembly

Hello,
    I was cleaning my FS2000 (3 months old) and with the hammer group assembly out of the stock, decided to oil the springs. I moved the sear a bit and with a click the hammer suddenly flipped all the way forward. The springs put too much tension on the sear for me to put the hammer back into place. Iíve already put some gouges in the brown plastic while trying to force it back into place.

I believe the best way to really know a weapon is to field strip it, clean it, and understand how the various parts operate. Obviously, after puzzling over what happened, I now understand the mechanism, and realize that what I did was stupid, but there was no warning in the manual: ďDo not touch the sear when the hammer assembly is removed from the gun or the hammer will become inoperable!Ē

So now Iíve got an expensive club. I decided the simplest what to handle the problem would be to get a new hammer group assembly if it didnít cost too much. I call FN and the tech said, without even listening to what I had to say, to send them the gun. I ask, ďBut canít I just buy a new hammer assembly? Thereís nothing wrong with the rest of the gun.Ē

He sends me to the parts department. The woman is clueless, didnít know what I was talking about, and said it sounded like it would cost about $600. I asked her to email me the schematics and a price list so that I could find the correct part, and after she sent it I found the part (#510). It costs $60, not $600. ďFine, Iíll take one. Is it in stock?Ē After she checked, she said no, it was on backorder. ďOk, whatís the ETA?Ē She didnít know. ďHow long has it been on backorder?Ē She said, without any change in her robotic voice, that it was supposed to arrive 6 months ago. She cheerfully asked if she could order one for me.

Iíve looked at the assembly and there are pins, but nothing to unscrew, etc. Iím reluctant to try to tap out pins from the plastic, as I donít want to weaken the assembly.
    Any suggestions? Does anyone have a hammer group to sell?

I called back to the tech and again he didn't listen to what was wrong and simply said to send in the gun. ďBut if you donít have the part, how will you fix it? Do you know of a way to put the hammer back into placeĒ He said, no, but if I send it in a tech will look at it. He didnít know if they would hold onto the gun and wait for the part if they canít fix it. ďBut I donít want you holding onto it for months on end, waiting for a part to arrive that was expected last summer. Will you do that?Ē Thatís all I can offer you, he said.

Iím glad Iíve got my AR. It would seem that FN has a problem if it canít supply parts for its products. Things wear out, get lost, or break over time. What good is a gun if parts arenít available? This hammer group matter suggests a finicky product if something like this can happen so easily.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
    Seadog98520 thanked this.

Upload some pics of the hammer group so we can see what the malfunction looks like.

Hammer Group Assembly Photo

Here's a photo.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

hammer group 1.jpg

I took a look at my hammer pack, comparing it to yours. Gently releasing the sear forward, I guided the hammer back, but it doesn't go back as far as your has. Maybe only at a 90degree angle. But try the steps I drew. Press forward on the sear (1.) while pressing the hammer forward all the way back to the original position (2.) Does this get it back into locked position?
    tqtran thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tutamen View Post
    Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
    You are not the first one to do this, and you won't be the last. Easily fixed.

Help with Hammer Group Assembly
    FS2000 Gen 1
    PS90-SBR Gen 2
    FiveseveN
    FN HP SFS
    FN Model 1905/1906
    (MM's #3860084010, #3860084030, #3810084020, #3480084020)

Dizzy82,

Unfortunately, I've tried that many times and the sear is now being scraped by the ends of the two springs that protrude from the hammer. Possibly mine extend a bit more than yours? They protrude about 1 mm.

Jhs27275,

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, using a lot of force hasn't helped--it only leads to digging the protrusions into the sear, forming small grooves. I'm reluctant to keep trying to force it. I haven't removed any pins or tried to disassemble the assembly, as I don't want to de-stabilize it. I've inspected it again and I can't find anything that seems wrong with the assembly, other than my problem.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tutamen View Post
    Dizzy82,

Unfortunately, I've tried that many times and the sear is now being scraped by the ends of the two springs that protrude from the hammer. Possibly mine extend a bit more than yours? They protrude about 1 mm.

Jhs27275,

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, using a lot of force hasn't helped--it only leads to digging the protrusions into the sear, forming small grooves. I'm reluctant to keep trying to force it. I haven't removed any pins or tried to disassemble the assembly, as I don't want to de-stabilize it. I've inspected it again and I can't find anything that seems wrong with the assembly, other than my problem.
    Post a picture of the hammer pack taken from the top and the bottom with enough resolution so that we can see how you re-assembled the hammer pack.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    The axis pins can be tapped out from left to right. You will not weaken the housing, and this can be accomplished with an 1/8 punch.

Remove the front axis pin first. Doing so will allow easy installation of the springs, when reinstalling the hammer in the correct orientation.

-SS
    HK SD9 Tactical and tqtran thanked this.

Thank you, gentlemen.

You are correct. An easy fix, once I knew what to do! I removed the two front pins and reset the hammer, dry fired, and everything appears to be operating normally.

I'll take it to the range soon to make sure it fires properly.

I very much appreciate your assistance.

- tutamen

Banned
    I tried this also but could not get it to work. Can anyone help me figure out how to get this locked back into position. I was taking gun apart and this came out the back. I did not want it out. I did not know or realize it was in wrong position until I went to put it back and it would not go in and gun will not go back together. Can anyone help. Post here or email me at n4ktz@comcast.net
    Thank you,
    Steven

Sponsored Links