Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 1 Post By jhs27275
  • 1 Post By Sturmgrenadiere
  • 1 Post By STL

Thread: FS2000 Barrel Longivity

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

FS2000 Barrel Longevity

There is a new, unfired FS2000 barrel on offer for $800. It has had the original FN flash hider removed and a YHM QD style flash hider installed. Reading the historical forums I see that Sgt. Stryker offered one at the end of 2012 for $575. I've collected Sgt. Stryker's spare parts kit and along with a few other bits and pieces just about everything that seems likely to wear out over the next decade or so. A spare barrel seems like a long shot to need replacing and given what I have been told of FNH's lifetime service I assume they would replace it if it ever failed?
    My question is, "What value is there in having a spare barrel?" Is there any practical value other than having a barrel to play with for custom end pieces or SBR? Has anyone ever needed to replace their barrel?
    And the most subjective question of all, "Is a spare barrel worth $800?"
    I appreciate any thoughts or guidance. (One additional note. If I spend another $800 the wife may {or may not } do bad things to me if she finds out, so it needs to be worth it....)
    Last edited by Gungineer; 03-23-2013 at 06:48 AM.

You should buy it and sell me the YHM mount cheap.

(I'd turn my own barrel before paying that kind of scratch for one personally)

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungineer View Post
    Arrgh! And I just realized I misspelled "Longevity"!!!
    That's why there is an edit button down at the bottom of your post.
    Gungineer thanked this.
    FS2000 Gen 1
    PS90-SBR Gen 2
    FiveseveN
    FN HP SFS
    FN Model 1905/1906
    (MM's #3860084010, #3860084030, #3810084020, #3480084020)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs27275 View Post
    That's why there is an edit button down at the bottom of your post.
    Thanks. Fixed entry title but can't figure out how to fix thread title.

I can't recall what the average published life span of an FN made FS2000 barrel is, but I'd hazard to say it could be 30K+ rounds. You see similar life spans of other military grade chrome lined barrels (M16, AUG, etc). But this is from memory so if someone has empirical data, please note.

But keep in mind your style of shooting will influence things greatly. If you somehow have a registered FS2000 and like to do full auto mag-dumps, physics has a fun way of ensuring heat+friction equals accelerated throat erosion, etc. (I was not a physics major, so bear with my tongue in cheek method).

If it is a semi only but you still like to make as much noise as possible, as fast as you can pull the trigger, with as little practical effect down range, you will be doing the same to your barrel over time...

On the other hand, if you shoot deliberate, disciplined single shots more times that not, and also do basic weapons maintenance such as properly clean your barrel after each range trip (properly vs over clean in another issue of much debate), and also use quality ammo... then the barrel may in fact out last most of us.

But this is such a hard thing to tell. Some years go by where I shoot 1000 rds a year out of each of my rifles or more. Then other years go by where I am lucky to shoot at all. If I plan 1000 rounds a year out of an FS2000... I expect I will not reach it's life expectancy. And even then, the true tell of barrel wear is going to be the degradation in accuracy. There might be visible throat erosion or a spot or two in the bore due to some corrosion or flaw that is revealed after 1000s of rounds. But unless it effects accuracy...

So in the end, if you think you need an extra barrel, maybe to shorten or have for future barter material, you can't go wrong. But from a concern of replacing a shot out barrel, your ammo consumption and shooting style will be the main factor. Just my .02 worth....
    Gungineer thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Thanks for your thoughts. 30,000+ rounds lifespan of the barrel matches up closely to other estimatesI’ve heard. That gives me a 15 – 20 yearlifespan. I’ll watch for a good price and pick one up over the next 10 years or so.

Do not have a registered FS2000 and while full auto mag dumps are fun on occasion, I rent for that kind of wear and tear action.

Noise is fun on occasion and though I occasionally practice a rapid fire drill, my preference is for well controlled, well placed groups.

I try to practice good firearmmaintenance. A clean gun is a working gun. I would be interested in hearing more on the issue of “properly vs over clean”. I give my guns a good cleaning every 200 – 300 rounds or after a good day’s outing. It is what my father taught me so I don’t know at which end of the spectrum that sits.

I don’t use steel case, occasional aluminum in my beater guns, otherwise only first load brass.

I still shoot and maintain my grandfather’s 110 year old shotgun, 60+ year old .22 and my father’s 40 year old 30-30 so I must not be doing it too wrong.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I decided to pass on this one. It wound up going for $855. Maybe the next one, or the next.
    Last edited by Gungineer; 03-28-2013 at 11:28 PM.

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    Mine is already showing signs of fracturing in the throat area and it's at the 5K (+-) round count now, but I run the gun hard. I have one complete barrel assembly in stock for $600 if anybody's needing one.

FN will warranty the barrel if anybody shoots there barrel out but it's going to be more than $1K at the retail level (msrp), due to the export/importation cost involved.

-SS
    Gungineer thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungineer View Post
    Fixed entry title but can't figure out how to fix thread title.
    Not able to do that.
    AMP PS90 trigger install:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Jan. 20, 2017 Obama leaves.

Sponsored Links