FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree4Thanks

Thread: Failure To Feed Correctly

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Failure To Feed Correctly

I originally posted this under the "Chambering Rounds from the Magazine in the FS2000" thread but never got any responses so I thought I'd post it as its own thread in hopes of getting some thoughts from those with more experience. ---- I have inserted fully loaded magazines on both an open and closed bolt with no problems but I did have one interesting thing happen: Load magazine. Charge. Shoulder. Select to "1". Aim. Squeeze. BANG. BANG. BANG. BANG. BANG. Click! Huh? Go safe. Open inspection port. Looks OK. Lock charging handle back. No round chambered. Look in at magazine. That looks odd. Round partially stripped. Remove magazine. Round is partially stripped. Lip of left side cartridge caught on the forward metal of the magazine. Bolt must have jumped over the cartridge when it jammed and finished closing. Bullet is jammed half way into the throat of the cartridge. Popped the nose of the cartridge up and stripped it out by hand. Inspected the magazine and noticed that the metal halves were not quite lined up. The left half was lapped up about .040 over the right half, just enough to catch the cartridge. Took my grinder and evened them up. No further problems with that magazine. Using XM855 with a stainless steel C-Products (original, not Defense) magazine. A week or so later, happened again. One left hand side round jammed with the bullet pushed half way into the throat of the casing. 1 round out of 120 (4 different magazines I shot that day). 55 grain XM193 in a C Products Defense aluminum magazine. No obvious lap on the front of the two halves. The cartridge was more than half way out of the magazine when I pulled the magazine. Seems like this one just failed to climb the ramp. It was about 6 or 8 shots into the magazine. Looking at other AR15 style magazines I note that many have much deeper relief in the front than the C Products magazines. Probably would have prevented the first instance but not the second. Anyone else experiencing these left side half feeds? Thanks for any insight.

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    No issues here, but I don't use C-Products mags in the 2K.

-SS

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    What magazines do you use? C Products came highly recommended to me as a magazine well suited to the FS2000. So far, only 2 out of around 500 rounds fired but both left hand side feeds. 0.4% failure isn't much to measure but makes you wonder. Other than that, no problems.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gungineer View Post
    What magazines do you use? C Products came highly recommended to me as a magazine well suited to the FS2000. So far, only 2 out of around 500 rounds fired but both left hand side feeds. 0.4% failure isn't much to measure but makes you wonder. Other than that, no problems.
    SAME PROBLEM, but more than 0.4%, more like 10% lately.

PROBLEM SOLVED. IT WAS THE MAGAZINES. I had a great afternoon with the rifle today 10/9/13 and it cycled everything I gave it. I guess it's just a matter of testing your magazines. It can cycle xm855 and m193 of course, but it does just as well if not better with slower powder pushing heavier bullets. This could be a great self defense rifle for someone who loads/shoots 75 and 77 grain bullets. It does well with Reloder 15 and Vihtavuori N140 and N135 and 77 grain SMK's, Noslers and Scenars. It also loved Hornady "Superperformance Match" 5.56 75 grain. Using heavy bullets brings any .223/5.56 up a notch. Great versatility.

Like everybody told me, it's the magazines.

Hi. New to this Forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fivescrew; 10-09-2013 at 10:15 PM.

STL
    Quote Originally Posted by fivescrew View Post
    SAME PROBLEM, but more than 0.4%, more like 10% lately.

Hi. New to this Forum.

Got my FS2000 in the panic last December. Went to buy a Colt HBar that was already sold and bought the FS b/c it was there, the last 5.56/.223 in the shop. This was my first FN and not usually my kind of gun, but have since bought their Five seveN. I shoot high power Service Rifle and load thousands of rounds of 223 a year using an RRA lower and WOA upper. I'm back and forth on the FS2000. At first, I did not like the gun. Then I did . Now I'm unsure.

I do not think it's the magazines. I am experiencing the same condition, failure to eject, an empty case and a round jammed in the action that has to be cleared by separating the upper from the lower. The only magazines that do not experience this kind of misfeed/jam are 20 round GI Simmons/Universal Industries magazines. My aluminum Colt 30 rounders and FN 10 round mag all jam. It happens sometimes, but not always, usually when load testing from the bench (I do not let the magazines ground out) but also sometimes shooting off hand. It does not seem to mater what kind of ammo I use, XM855, M193, Mk262 handloads. There does not seem to be any kind of pattern. My Match AR's cycle just fine with all my magazines. It's ironic that I have the FN as my household and family defense rifle and my match AR-15's sitting in my locker at the club. The AR's shoot every kind of ammo through every magazine, whether clean or dirty, hot or mild and with a 77SMK over 24.2 RL15, <.7 MOA. The FS is supposed to be some kind of battle-ready gun.

I am going to send mine in to FN and see what they can do. If the problem persists, I am going to sell it and try something else.
    It's the magazines you're using. I weapon does not like Colt magazines. Try the Brownell's units and your troubles will go away. The FN mag - maybe you have a bad one. I don't know, as I can't see it or inspect it.

-SS
    fivescrew thanked this.

STL
    One word: Magazine

-SS
    Gers4Lyfe thanked this.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungineer View Post
    W..... C Products came highly recommended to me as a magazine well suited to the FS2000. So far, only 2 out of around 500 rounds fired but both left hand side feeds. 0.4% failure isn't much .......
    Nope. It ain't much, only matters when you need that 0.4% and it ain't there.
    STL and cetane thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    Nope. It ain't much, only matters when you need that 0.4% and it ain't there.
    And so to finish the story, I dropped the C Products magazines, tried a few other magazines, and settled on ASC magazines. They seem to have a much smoother feed and they "sound" (spring & follower) a lot better. After grinding the upper lip of the magazine catch so it will release, I've had 1 failure to climb the ramp in over 1,000 rounds. It too was a left side feed...

OK. I try again and experiment again with all my different mags, commercial, military and my hand loaded match ammo. The Simmonds mags (real Colt GI mags from 1971) have been trouble free but are short and therefore awkward to extract from that deep, gasketed mag well. I'll also try to see if there is a difference in the failure rate betw. shooting from a rest and shooting off hand. I'll also try both settings of the gas impingement system. An AR should not be finicky. This is the only one I've ever had that was. More than a few people on these forums have the same complaint.

I like D & H aluminum with magpul followers, never had a stoppage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links