55 gr vs 77 gr Ammo - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thanks Tree8Thanks

Thread: 55 gr vs 77 gr Ammo

Banned
    Send the gun back. Obviously the firearm has issues.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by xslice View Post
    Send the gun back. Obviously the firearm has issues.
    I've had it for almost a year and never experienced a day like this before. It worked fine 3 days ago.

Banned
    So what was the variable that may have caused the malfunction?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    So what was the variable that may have caused the malfunction?
    Same gun. Same magazines. Same ammo. Drove from Ohio to North Carolina but it worked fine on 12/24 at the local range here. 3 days later. Didn't get a chance to clean it in between. Different weather. Recently retired Marine at the controls today. Got me. That's why I will attempt to reproduce this when I get home.

The thing is kinda picky about magazines. Started out with some C-Products (old and new versions) in aluminum but it did have some jams. Tried ACS (new, rebranded, old C-Products) in stainless steel and it was better but there were a couple of ACS mags it did not like at all. I've been toying with the idea of trying other mags, especially the highly recommended Brownells, but preferred the roomier interior dimensions of the stainless steel and the matching black color.
    At this point I'll take whatever works and all the problems track back to feed ramp interface problems. Most of the cartridges that jam due to bent cartridges also have bullet noses that are scraped and out of shape so the whole feed process in whacked on these. Either the ramp is a mess or the magazine interface is bad. I can replace the barrel and see if that changes things but I want to change the magazines again and see if that changes things again first.

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjk1 View Post
    Here is some pics of our shoot today. We used 4 different mags ( 1 mag per target ) , 4 different types of ammo and 2 different distances.
    Our Mags
    1) Brownel's
    2) Adventure Line
    3) Colt
    4) Cammenga ( GI style heavy / thick )
    We loaded the mags with 4-4-5-5 rds each of
    1) 55 gr.Nosler Varmageddon Ballistic Tip
    2) 62 gr PMC Xtac
    3) 55 gr PMC Bronze
    4) 77 gr Privi Part ( Match )

The 77 was slightly lower, Orange targets 100 yds
    The 77 didn't show much difference @ 50 RED targets
    We pretty much burned thru all the ammo, one after another, no feeding problems what so ever, and at the 50 yds we made it rapid fire since there wasn't much challenge, otherwise.
    Take into consideration the EO set up got dropped, that''s why everything is to the right a little.
    It was fun.
    Attachment 22004
    Attachment 22005
    You shoot right of the POA, and your partner shoots left of POA. Is he a left handed shooter? Curious...

I'm a bit fuzzy on what mag ran what ammo.

-SS

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungineer View Post
    Same gun. Same magazines. Same ammo. Drove from Ohio to North Carolina but it worked fine on 12/24 at the local range here. 3 days later. Didn't get a chance to clean it in between. Different weather. Recently retired Marine at the controls today. Got me. That's why I will attempt to reproduce this when I get home.

The thing is kinda picky about magazines. Started out with some C-Products (old and new versions) in aluminum but it did have some jams. Tried ACS (new, rebranded, old C-Products) in stainless steel and it was better but there were a couple of ACS mags it did not like at all. I've been toying with the idea of trying other mags, especially the highly recommended Brownells, but preferred the roomier interior dimensions of the stainless steel and the matching black color.
    At this point I'll take whatever works and all the problems track back to feed ramp interface problems. Most of the cartridges that jam due to bent cartridges also have bullet noses that are scraped and out of shape so the whole feed process in whacked on these. Either the ramp is a mess or the magazine interface is bad. I can replace the barrel and see if that changes things but I want to change the magazines again and see if that changes things again first.
    Brownells. They're on sale (10 pack) along with a 50 cal ammo can - $110.

The 2K likes them very much so.

Stack 'em tall and deep!

-SS
    BigBuckeyeGuy and Gungineer thanked this.

Check the feed lips of your mags. Perhaps they've become mis-shapened or deformed and it's time to replace a couple of them.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtStrykerUSMC43 View Post
    You shoot right of the POA, and your partner shoots left of POA. Is he a left handed shooter? Curious...

I'm a bit fuzzy on what mag ran what ammo.

-SS
    Paul Harvey's " The Rest of the story ".... LOL

1) Yes he is a lefty , with a cast on and he just had surgery and shouldn't even been at the range.

2) I had to rotate his target 90 degree's ( for viewing ease ) , since he started in the top left with the Ballistic Tip Reloads ( that shot all over the place )
    He just started in the wrong quadrant, after he had seen my groups looking better than his he took his time ( cast & all )

3) I had all 4 mags loaded with all 4 types of rounds, ( 20 rds per mag ), that way we were trying to work out any cycling issues for the" OP " when changing ammo loads we went from 1 type of ammo to another to another to another ( 55BT, to 62,to55 bronze, to 77 Match )

I can't help but wonder if some of the " OP's issue ... after reading all the struggles , and then reflecting on my PS90/AE experiences .... IF... some of what he is experiencing now isn't due to powder contaminating the " internals"... ( trigger pack, moving parts area ). It sounds real similiar to what happens to me after a couple of AE bullets misfeed then push back in the case ... which produces powder in the moving parts group area... then the gun runs like shat.

For the gun to run , then 3 days later , FTF, jam, and whatever plethra of problems he is having... just doesn't sound right , unless something was damaged or it is loaded with " powder / dirt from something .

Just a thought.
    mjk1
    Last edited by mjk1; 12-28-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    Gungineer thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Have you checked your gas port setting?
    Running it in Normal. Port looks OK but I don't have proper tools down here to really check it out.
    I was going to try Adverse just to see if that made a difference before things went sour and I gave up in disgust.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtStrykerUSMC43 View Post
    Brownells. They're on sale (10 pack) along with a 50 cal ammo can - $110.

The 2K likes them very much so.

Stack 'em tall and deep!

-SS
    Already on the way Sarge. Every time I listen to you I come out ahead. When I don't, I wind up fiddling around until the only option left is your original suggestion.

Any idea how annoying that is?
    STL thanked this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links