FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thanks Tree8Thanks

Thread: 55 gr vs 77 gr Ammo

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LebbenB View Post
    Check the feed lips of your mags. Perhaps they've become mis-shapened or deformed and it's time to replace a couple of them.
    Or all of them. Which is why I'm trying a round of Brownells.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mjk1 View Post
    Paul Harvey's " The Rest of the story ".... LOL

1) Yes he is a lefty , with a cast on and he just had surgery and shouldn't even been at the range.

2) I had to rotate his target 90 degree's ( for viewing ease ) , since he started in the top left with the Ballistic Tip Reloads ( that shot all over the place )
    He just started in the wrong quadrant, after he had seen my groups looking better than his he took his time ( cast & all )

3) I had all 4 mags loaded with all 4 types of rounds, ( 20 rds per mag ), that way we were trying to work out any cycling issues for the" OP " when changing ammo loads we went from 1 type of ammo to another to another to another ( 55BT, to 62,to55 bronze, to 77 Match )

I can't help but wonder if some of the " OP's issue ... after reading all the struggles , and then reflecting on my PS90/AE experiences .... IF... some of what he is experiencing now isn't due to powder contaminating the " internals"... ( trigger pack, moving parts area ). It sounds real similiar to what happens to me after a couple of AE bullets misfeed then push back in the case ... which produces powder in the moving parts group area... then the gun runs like shat.

For the gun to run , then 3 days later , FTF, jam, and whatever plethra of problems he is having... just doesn't sound right , unless something was damaged or it is loaded with " powder / dirt from something .

Just a thought.
    mjk1
    Thanks for the thoughts and the tests you ran. I run a reasonably clean gun and it was clean before shooting on 12/24. Worked fine then. I disassembled it when we got back from the range 12/27. Nothing beyond what I would expect after a couple hundred rounds. I've run it far dirtier. I inspected all major assemblies, manually cycled the hammer and moving parts group and the entire mechanism after the problems 12/27. Nothing looked or felt odd.
    I will inspect the gas port when I get home.
    Interesting note about right / left POA. Wife shoots right. I shoot left (generally). She tends to hit up and right of me but when I shoot right it hits pretty much the same spot as when I shoot left. Using an EOTech 512.

Don't waste too much time trying to second guess your rifle ... if you didn't disassemble it between your Christmas Eve range trip and the 27th, then you have a magazine issue. Mine HATES the ASC mags and isn't really a fan of the old C-Products mags(both work decent in my AR's though?). My FS runs flawless using Brownells or D&H Industries mags ... it also likes the H&K Maritime mags!
    Μολὼν λάβε

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

On the magazine thing I have run with 100% no problems, Brownells, D&H and ELander steel mags. I download all of them to only 29 rounds and through two classes and a full summer of training no problems that were mag related or any thing else. When loaded to a full 30 rounds I occasionally did not get them seated completely, that was on me, but with 29 rounds never any problem. My FS does not like Wolf ammo unless it is real hot out or I have the gas set on high.

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungineer View Post
    Already on the way Sarge. Every time I listen to you I come out ahead. When I don't, I wind up fiddling around until the only option left is your original suggestion.

Any idea how annoying that is?
    I dunno. I've just been around this stuff for a while and retain most all of it, either from personal experience or from fellow weapons enthusiasts.

On the Stryker FS2K RSM: Loop the webbing through the eyelets on either side of the weapon and cinch up tight. The eyelets are plenty strong.

-SS
    Gungineer thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Brownells Magazines

OK. Got the Brownells mags in but with the weather haven't had a chance to try them. Finally got a window this afternoon while it was above freezing and before the next wave of bad weather set in.I had a chance to run 4 30 round magazines. I did change 2 variables as I was using the Brownells mags and my new upper with the Weaver scope mounted.
    I didn't have time to run a proper set of tests with both uppers.
    Of the 4 magazines (120 rounds) I had 2 magazines of 62 Grain Lake City, 1 magazine of 55 Grain PMC XTAC, and 1 magazine of 77 Grain Black Hills OTM.

Brownells Mags 2014 01 05.jpg55 Gr 2014 01 05.jpg62 Gr 2014 01 05.jpg77 Gr 2014 01 05.jpg

Of the 120 rounds, no failures.

I will need more tests and tests with the original upper, but this is very encouraging.

Interesting that all 3 types shot almost the same vertically (vs. previous tests where the 77 grain was nearly 4 MOA lower) but the 77 grain is almost 3 MOA to the right. The wind was picking up at that point and it was starting to come down freezing rain so that may have had some effect. More tests will tell.

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    My work is done here...

Having cut my teeth on the F2K, I have a pretty firm grasp of what she likes.

Congrats on a great day and happy shooting!

-SS

Quote Originally Posted by Gungineer View Post
    OK. Got the Brownells mags in but with the weather haven't had a chance to try them. Finally got a window this afternoon while it was above freezing and before the next wave of bad weather set in.I had a chance to run 4 30 round magazines. I did change 2 variables as I was using the Brownells mags and my new upper with the Weaver scope mounted.
    I didn't have time to run a proper set of tests with both uppers.
    Of the 4 magazines (120 rounds) I had 2 magazines of 62 Grain Lake City, 1 magazine of 55 Grain PMC XTAC, and 1 magazine of 77 Grain Black Hills OTM.

Brownells Mags 2014 01 05.jpg55 Gr 2014 01 05.jpg62 Gr 2014 01 05.jpg77 Gr 2014 01 05.jpg

Of the 120 rounds, no failures.

I will need more tests and tests with the original upper, but this is very encouraging.

Interesting that all 3 types shot almost the same vertically (vs. previous tests where the 77 grain was nearly 4 MOA lower) but the 77 grain is almost 3 MOA to the right. The wind was picking up at that point and it was starting to come down freezing rain so that may have had some effect. More tests will tell.

Have you researched the bullet coeffecients of the rounds you fired? For example, it's my understanding a 175 gr. .308 round will have more speed and height at further ranges than the lighter 149 gr. bullets. This is due to the design of the bullet and how the wind affects it. With a 1/7 twist you could probably find some very accurate ammo for your FN2000.
    Make Peace Or Die! Semper FI!

Stupid question...

Which version of the Brownells mag is the recommend one for the FS 2000?

They offer many options

"Choose from a mil-spec stainless steel spring or our new, high lubricity, dry-lube-coated chrome silicon spring that’s corrosion-resistant certified to 500 hour salt spray standards, and less prone to spring “set.”

Looks like they come with a military green follower, but they also offer a Tactical version with a Magpul follower.

-MG

As long as the mag is a STANAG spec mag it will work. To answer your question, both.
    AMP PS90 trigger install:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Jan. 20, 2017 FREEDOM!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links