FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thanks Tree8Thanks

Thread: newbie question

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightewolfe View Post
    @HK SD9 Tactical, pardon my ignorance here. What concerns you about the missing primer? I can understand that it is a concern, but am curios as to the reason. Though I don't own a Tuna, I am still interested in all the information I can get for when I do get the fundage to purchase a Tuna of my own.

KW
    Usually a missing primer is one of the indicators that there was an extreme overpressure event on ammunition. The indicators are a cratered primer, a flattened primer, then a blown primer (hole in the primer where the firing pin hit it), then the missing primer which has been blown out of the case.

This does not necessarily mean that there was a problem with this particular ammunition as there are other causes that could result in the primer missing. It could simply be that the primer pocket was reamed to large when the stakes were removed from the NATO brass or that if reformed by using a primer pocket swagger there was debris left in the pocket that resulted in the over-sized primer pocket during the swagging process.

If this was re-loaded ammunition, then the load data has to be looked at very closely to try to determine what happened. It is usually impossible to double charge a rifle round and most pistol rounds due to the standard charge weights filling more than 50% of the case. If you double charge, the excess powder will fall out of the case and you have powder all over the place. However there is still room for an over charge in these cases.

I have seen a number of cases where the primer was blown out of the case on non reloaded ammunition as well as reloaded ammunition simply because the primer pocket was reamed to large for the primer. On multiple reloaded cases, it is usually one of the indicators that the case has surpassed its life expectancy and should be culled from the remainder of the cases.

All this is speculation though until we get the information on the ammunition used.

And yes, LC does mean Lake City. It is a NATO standard brass that has thicker walls than normal brass and when reloading it you have to cut the powder charge down by 5% or more due to the decreased volume of the case.

To the OP: You might want to check to see if the extractor on the bolt is OK as well.
    Knightewolfe thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Looks like ammo issue for sure. Also keep in mind that even factory ammo can be overcharged or not correctly assembled.
    Knightewolfe thanked this.

I'm so sorry I wasn't able to check the ammo last night when I got home. AFAIK, it is a .223 reman from freedom ammunitions. Ill get more details tonight. Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    Usually a missing primer is one of the indicators that there was an extreme overpressure event on ammunition. The indicators are a cratered primer, a flattened primer, then a blown primer (hole in the primer where the firing pin hit it), then the missing primer which has been blown out of the case.

This does not necessarily mean that there was a problem with this particular ammunition as there are other causes that could result in the primer missing. It could simply be that the primer pocket was reamed to large when the stakes were removed from the NATO brass or that if reformed by using a primer pocket swagger there was debris left in the pocket that resulted in the over-sized primer pocket during the swagging process.

If this was re-loaded ammunition, then the load data has to be looked at very closely to try to determine what happened. It is usually impossible to double charge a rifle round and most pistol rounds due to the standard charge weights filling more than 50% of the case. If you double charge, the excess powder will fall out of the case and you have powder all over the place. However there is still room for an over charge in these cases.

I have seen a number of cases where the primer was blown out of the case on non reloaded ammunition as well as reloaded ammunition simply because the primer pocket was reamed to large for the primer. On multiple reloaded cases, it is usually one of the indicators that the case has surpassed its life expectancy and should be culled from the remainder of the cases.

All this is speculation though until we get the information on the ammunition used.

And yes, LC does mean Lake City. It is a NATO standard brass that has thicker walls than normal brass and when reloading it you have to cut the powder charge down by 5% or more due to the decreased volume of the case.

To the OP: You might want to check to see if the extractor on the bolt is OK as well.
    Thank you for that information. I greatly appreciate it HKSD9. Learn something new everyday.
    FNP40 USG

Either shoot with the Big Dawgs or stay away from the range. FN Leads the Way!

Keeping it on target.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links