Browning's Patent Depose

FN Forum

Browning's Patent Depose

Browning's Patent Depose.

That appears on the old Fabrique Nationale d'Arms de Gueere Grand Puissance (High Power) pistols.

Ever wonder about that?

My take is - they needed and/or wanted to put that there, because everyone knew Browning had passed on. John Mose was a big big thing in Belgium, he was huge in Europe. So huge, that even to this day, the automatic pistol is just called a "Browning" like we call snot-rags-in-a-box "Kleenex" no matter who made 'em.

Browning was big, his name was well known. He was "Mr. Automatic Pistol". And, he was dead. Now FN had a situation. They wanted to sell the new pistol. The young (and VERY talented) Dieudonne Saive was a relative unknown. Browning had worked on, and patented certain features of the prototypes (at least two were made, both different), so I guess.. they need to assure folks that the pistol was in fact "a Browning!" even though Browning himself was long dead. How many inventors get a national day of mourning? Browning did in Belgium, thats how big he was.

Member Hits The Target silversport's Avatar
    ...and Browning designed a LOT of pistols and shotguns for Fabrique Nationale'
    Bill

Well a lot of pistols at least. Just the Auto-5 for FN. Val designed the Superposed (or at least is credited as being the major contributor after his fathers death).

The whole saying "Browning's Patent Depose" means "Browning's Patent Filed". Thats it. You'd think they'd use "Browning's Patent Utilize" (his patent used), but... maybe some legal things. So sure, they had Brownings patent filed.

I just find the whole relationship between FN, and Browning very interesting. Its been said (in his biography) the people of Liege called him "Le Maitre" (the Master), and he was well known for his long walks about Liege, on his way to the FN plant.

What I'd really like to find out is - what were his living arrangements in Belgium. Browning wasn't exactly a cheapskate, but... he did live a frugal life, spending money only as it need be spent. I've always wondered if he stayed in a hotel, bought a flat, owned a house in Belgium. Back in that time, you could stay at a hotel for long periods, it was an accepted practice and the rate was not perhaps as prohibitive as it would be today, in comparative terms.

There is also no record of John Moses Browning ever owning an automobile, or truck. He preferred to walk to a station, take a cab, or (probably) was driven by his hosts at FN when the need arrived.

Ah well.... when I check out, he's one of my top folks to visit "upstairs".

Links