What is a fair price for a new Browning HP?

FN Forum

Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 1 Post By CA357
  • 1 Post By Orion
  • 1 Post By new mod-1910

Thread: What is a fair price for a new Browning HP?

What is a fair price for a new Browning HP?

Are the new Browning Hi Powers on the shelves worth a $900 price tag?

Is there any reason to be concerned about the Portugal assembly?

i dont know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

That's pretty much the going rate, at least it is out here on the "Left Coast". I had a Mark III which was assembled in Portugal and it was an excellent pistol. Some folks prefer the earlier models that were assembled in Belgium, myself included. However, the newer pistols are just fine.
    Gers4Lyfe thanked this.

Thanks for the input. Interestingly, the reason why I was asking was because my mom was wanting to get another 9mm [to go with the Arcus they already have] and was looking at one at Bass Pro. I was trying to get them to NOT buy it, thought I did, . . . but they bought it anyway. This was about a month ago.

Yesterday, we went to the range to test it out. It shot very well for me. My dad's eyes are a bit old now, so he did okay. He shot better with the Ruger Blackhawk [357mag] they picked up a couple weeks ago. Anyway, the HP felt good. Only shot a couple mags through it [hard to get 9mm at this time, so didn't want to shoot it too much]. No issues for those few rounds.

One thing I have noticed about Hi Powers. They have got to be one of the softest recoiling pistols out there. They even shoot softer than my CZ SP-01 [which is heavier]. I have to say that I have regained my love of the HP. Glad I have the one I picked up [pure Belgian made].
    CA357 thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I've wanted a Hi Power for ever. I own and FNX 9mm and love the pistol. This weekend I had the pleasure of firing a MKIII and I'm in love. I'm not an expert shot by any means but I shot a 4 or 5 inch group around the bulls eye from 40 or 50 feet. It was good enough to get the nod of approval and words of acknowledgement from my brother in law. Smooth shooter, and I want one even more now, comparing it side by side with the FNX 9mm really gives you an appreciation for the design lineage in play with FN pistols. It was a treat.

They truly ARE great shooting guns.

$900 in today's market conditions seems to be reasonable. Normally I would think a new HP Practical would be $825.00. I recall seeing some left over 75th Anniversary pistols last year for around $700.00. But those days are long gone.

The way they feel, point, and shoot is phenomenal. If I could start a firearm company I would make a single action pistol based on the HP with a 1911's trigger.

SirGilligan

If there isn't a photo then it never happened.
    If you find your back is up against a wall, maybe you have been backing up for too long.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Where would one begin to be able to understand all they types, origins, countries, proofmarks, etc for the FN High Power?

I saw on at the gun show and have always wanted one but I had not idea what the proof marks meant, how to determine the value, where it came from, etc. Anyone have good references or starting points?

When Browning & FN set up the blueing &finishing polish finish plant in Portugal was set up to put hi-grade blue job's on high end shotguns the hi-power benefited getting that wonder full hi-gloss smooth as a baby's bottom blue job. The labor was cheaper and the worker's very skilled and trained. The Belgium made Hi-power were sent there for finishing only. They are made in Belgium. And yes $1000 would not be to much for one of these wonderfull Belgium made finished in Portugal Hi-power's. When they started up this plant in Portugal the finish was a big improvement For Fn and Browning arm's.
    Gers4Lyfe thanked this.

Of the 9mm's the HP is my favorite.

Links