Hoping to bring this FNC back to life.

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree7Thanks
  • 7 Post By Nihonto

Thread: Hoping to bring this FNC back to life.

Hoping to bring this FNC back to life.

Hi all,

This rather sad and cosmetically challenged project just came to me, via Zimbabwe. It came from a batch of imported FN-FAl's from the Rhodesian days, and I couldn't resist it when I saw a lone FNC peeking out of the pile. Must have an interesting tale to tell.
    I was wondering if anyone can give me any info on it, since it appears to be an early one. Barrel is short, just past the gas block. I notice that the gas block doesn't have grenade sights. I assume they didn't have this on the short version? Is this called the model 7000, and what years is it likely from?

I know I have taken on a heck of a challenge here, since parts here in South Africa are even scarcer than the USA. Barrel is in great condition. Firing pin is mint, but is the old style one that apparently breaks easily (2 piece) so I will be sourcing a new stainless or titanium one.

My biggest challenge is getting handguards. I have been looking everywhere, with no luck. I was really hoping someone had an old set lying around, and would be able to assist me with getting this one working again. Rear sight seems to need a disc on the left side? Any source of those? And then I need a trigger guard. Surely there must be a way to find one of those without resorting to the ugly Winter one on GB? I suppose the FAL one cannot be bent to fit?

Cosmetics are not a problem, I have the resources to refinish it nicely.
    Sad thing is that we have no restrictions on the FA sear here, I can have it fitted no problem. As long as the safety is converted to semi only (and it is) then I am good to go. But the sear, spring and pin is still missing from this one, and I would like to get that back to original.
    US is obviously not going to be an option there, with the cost of a registered sear. So hoping someone knows of a source or has some close up pics with dimensions. Promise..this isn't a con to try and source a sear.
    I really can have it fitted. It has the 3 rnd mech fitted, and a SA police certificate that the safety (and therefore the gun) is semi auto.
    Semi's are not easy to license here, but as a collector and declared sportsman here, I can jump through the hoops to add this to my collection.

Bolt is also missing (yes, I know. But I have been hugely lucky enough to find someone who knows someone...who can help with just one) It is going to cost me a fortune by local standards (which is cheap by US ones) but I have tied that up.

Sooo.....what I need most are handguards, trigger guard, and rear sight part. And comments on whether I am missing anything else.
    Anyone out there (even outside the USA, since it is easier to send here than there) able to advise or assist.

Posting a few pics, please don't let the looks fool you too much, I haven't cleaned it yet. It will refinish just fine.

Thanks in advance.

welcome and awesome find!

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Even if you can't restore into a functional weapon, it'd still make a helluva display piece. I love FNCs.
    "And here remain with your uncertainty! Let every feeble rumor shake your hearts! Your enemies, with nodding of their plumes, fan you into despair! Have the power still to banish your defenders; till at length your ignorance, which finds not till it feels, making but reservation of yourselves, still your own foes, deliver you, as most abated captives to some nation that won you without blows!"

I'll bet it still runs like a scalded dog with a good bolt and small parts in it, hehe

The condition and barrel of this one lead me to believe it never fired much at all. Trust me, handguards or not...it will work again
    The sear isn't necessary for semi auto anyways, it is more about completing it. But I can live without that. The bolt will come...and then it will be functional. Just need to strip it and give it a good clean. It must have been sitting in the Rhodesian/Zimbabwe arsenals for over 30 years gathering dust. Even more reason why I want to find handguards and get her restored. Not mint....just looking more presentable.

Low serial number too. If that rifle could talk...

Nihonto ----look on GunBroker.com -----under "FNC". There are some of the parts you are searching for.

Sponsored Links