FN Herstal Firearms banner

DIY magazine release spring

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  krider24 
#1 ·
know this isn't the best looking rig but it works and I'm sure many of you can find something that works better but it's an idea to run with for now and see who can make it better.This us a thin piece of metal bent and then tapped to the shell. It lays flat when the magazine is latched but when you pull back the mag release it springs up the empty mag so you don't have to hold the mag release back and lift at the same time.

#4 ·
i was originally thinking of a small piece of metal with the width of the inside of the stock and bent to a narrow V shape, then sandwiched between the receiver and stock when putting the gun together. But i didn't have anything on hand that fit the description so i made due with what i had.

#6 ·
Many years ago somone tried to come up with an idea like this.

While it seems like it would be helpful, wasn't easy to get something that worked well.

Your design seems like it would work ok.

#7 ·
I think FN's thought was when removing the mag, you used one hand to actuate the mag latch, as you were pulling up on the mag to remove it. One fluid motion, with your weak hand.

#8 ·
We need to have a spring made/ designed that snaps in somewhere. I like that idea.

#13 ·
Thanks M1P90 for posting that, so I didn't have to go looking for that.

Reactions: M1P90
#14 ·
m1p90, i remembered seeing that a long time ago and my only concern was bending the coils or snagging and stretching the spring.

I had finally got the extended mag release but still felt like it was lacking ease of mag changes. But with the spring to help pop the mag up it is much easier to hit it back and then just grab the mag for a quick change.

00stormbringer, I agree that was a concern at first but the mag latches very well so i don't think it will happen. Another concern was the upward pressure on the mag might have some impact on how the bullets would feed into the chamber. I know this has been an issue with AE ammo and after market magazines, i will just have to see if it impacts how my gun feeds while shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.