The Days of $48 Hammer Packs are Long Gone - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thanks Tree112Thanks

Thread: The Days of $48 Hammer Packs are Long Gone

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    What I will tell you is that for me to get my spares, I had to go through a bunch of hoops of crying and dying and explaining that there had been on back order for over two years, etc, etc, etc.

The CS rep has to call "upstairs" to get permission to have the parts dept ship me ONE. You should have heard her when I told her I needed TWO....she had to repeat the call for permission to have them ship another one and then call me back to let me know that she could. It still took six weeks for them to get here and the price was over $360 for the pair.
    The reason I wanted them was to try various combinations of aftermarket parts. I was not going to touch my original Gen 1 and Gen 2 packs and modify them in any way. So I wanted a couple to "work" with to check parts that were made available during the time that the packs were not available readily, which still is today.

We have "heard" the Midwest Gun Works, a forum sponsor, will be the sole supplier of FN parts to the general public. While they have some pricing down on parts, it is only estimates at this time.

You also have to remember that these are made in Belgium and are required to be cleared through customs and between ICE and the ATF, they have done a pretty good job of quashing the importation of these parts under the current administration. I am by no means an expert, but if there is demand, the supplier would want to fill that demand considering the profit margin made between cost and retail prices. So if the manufacture/supplier is not the hold up, figure out who is.

Like I mentioned, I ordered these in Oct of 14 so they have been out of stock for more than 2 3/4 years now because I know of some that ordered in May of 14 and still have not gotten them.

Let me be clear, I GOT VERY LUCKY and hit the right person the right day at the right time.
    I doubt FN was expecting people to buy spares just to have on hand. They probably have an idea of the failure/defect replacement rate and have enough extras made to cover that so I'm not surprised why they would be in short supply. These things probably aren't supply constraint as far as manufacturing.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTX View Post
    I doubt FN was expecting people to buy spares just to have on hand. They probably have an idea of the failure/defect replacement rate and have enough extras made to cover that so I'm not surprised why they would be in short supply. These things probably aren't supply constraint as far as manufacturing.
    FN didn't count on people taking their Gen 1 and Gen 2 packs and sticking them in the gun safe because of their value and trying to buy Gen 3 replacements to use.
    LESTER, Kramer, mjk1 and 2 others thanked this.
    FS2000 Gen 1
    PS90-SBR Gen 2
    FiveseveN
    FN HP SFS
    FN Model 1905/1906
    (MM's #3860084010, #3860084030, #3810084020, #3480084020)

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTX View Post
    I don't know. When the Gen 1 and Gen 2 packs were discovered to be easily convert-able (both discontinued), the ATF put on quash on their importation relatively fast and made FN come out with a modified pack which led to the Gen 2.1 (discontinued) and the Gen 3 packs (higher cut notch in hammer for AUTO sear engagement) then finally the Gen 4 pack which they discontinued after discovering that the AUTO sear on the front of the pack did indeed serve as a secondary safety sear so that the firearm would not fire out of battery (the Gen 4 packs had no AUTO sear in them). I have never heard of a PS90 firing out of battery though regardless whether it has an AUTO sear in it or not. So they dropped the Gen 4 packs and re-instituted the Gen 3 packs with the AUTO/Safety sear and the re-designed hammer with a higher cut notch on the hammer making the AUTO sear useless as an AUTO sear but did keep the function of the secondary safety sear.

Some of us got very lucky in Oct 11 when Midwest Gun Works got some in stock and we discovered that they were Gen 2.1 packs which were in high demand for a high price. They sold out in a couple of hours (nobody knew at that time they were Gen 2.1 packs until the first ones arrived in the mail). When they went out of stock in a few hours, the only thing left was Gen 3 packs available through FN parts which sold out in early 14. So they are still making the Gen 3 packs because that is what all new PS90's have in them. Whether it is just supply on FN's part to keep up with the PS90 demand or some other issues, it has become hard as he!! to get a replacement pack.

Seems to me that in three years, FN would have made spares available for the general consumer. I have even heard that some people that sent in the PS90 for service with a Gen 1 or Gen 2 pack had them replaced with a Gen 3 pack that FN stated was an upgrade. This "rumor" is why most of us bought a spare Gen 3 pack so that if we had to have the rifle serviced, we would put a Gen 3 pack in it before sending it to FN for service. Most of us believe that this was/is driven by the ATF. Whether this is "true" or not is really not the issue as we have come to learn that there are no more Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 2.1, or Gen 4 packs, only Gen 3 packs. This has been what has been available over the last 5 years and they have been out of stock as parts to the general public for 3 years now.

So pick your poison, somewhere along the supply chain, these Gen 3 packs are being held up. It could be that the ATF put another quash on their importation because there were some aftermarket hammers and auto sears made that allowed people to make their Gen 3 and Gen 4 packs into a Gen 2.1 pack, which made them easily convert-able. I has been a roller coaster ride on the packs since the PS90's were first imported for sale into the US.

So FN may have some in stock in their parts dept for "repairs" to firearms sent in.

Everything is just speculation on why they are not available to the general public but most of us who have been tracking the hammer pack generations believe that it is the US Govt in some capacity that is holding up the delivery of these parts for the end users use. Some of us even think that there will be a new generation pack designed/made that will be impossible to retrofit into a convert-able pack. This would make it a Gen 5 pack....

All this information is available in the sticky and related thread on the hammer packs.

Bottom line is that they are hard to get and cost an arm and a leg right now compared to what they used to costs.
    jhs27275, LESTER, Merlin and 10 others thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    PLEASE.... someone remind me to never get into a " Doctoral " level debate with HK.
    That is just about the most concise dissertation of " pack facts/chronological history " that I believe has ever been compiled in one post.
    I have always referred to the 2.1's as 2.5's just for the record , so to clarify specifically for forum members that I have discussed evolution of pack generation's with.... that is what I meant.
    hillbillyjim, LESTER, Kramer and 1 others thanked this.
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

Project Warpath " Hillary Clinton Killed my Friends "..... !

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I wish I had spare ps90 trigger packs. I was lucky to get a few fs2000 trigger packs from midwestgunworks a few months ago and that wasnt expected to be available
    LESTER and akitainu thanked this.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LESTER View Post
    It was 3:12 AM figured I would keep my response short! Only reason I was up that early had to pee and check to see if anyone was on the roof!
    Finally
    Some clarification as to why I have only 1X in forum history.... been able to beat LESTER @ welcoming a NEW MEMBER to the forum !!!!
    AND on that occasion.... we both posted @ the same time.... however I was 1 micro-second quicker on the draw !!!!!
    LESTER and FS2KSTD thanked this.
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

Project Warpath " Hillary Clinton Killed my Friends "..... !

I guess I never knew there was a Gen 2.1?
    jhs27275, dank and HK SD9 Tactical thanked this.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
    I guess I never knew there was a Gen 2.1?
    IMHO:

The difference between the Gen 2 and Gen 2.1 is when FN had the front sear (the one with the two ears on it that catches the hammer as it returns for semi reset) redesigned. It went from a post to a shelf on the base of the sear where the sear spring engages the front sear at the bottom. This was to ensure that the return spring remained in the notch where it belonged.

This is when the Hammer Packs were dictated by color changes instead of parts changes. In reality, there is no Gen 2.1 but it is what people have been using to indicate the change in the sear from the Gen 2 (post) to Gen 2.1 (shelf) with no color changes to the parts (mostly grey with black).

In reality, there are only 3 Generations of Hammer Packs if you look at factory redesign parts alone and disregard the color schemes.

Gen 1 - original pack (black, green, gray, black hammer, white hammer, translucent hammer, etc (disregard the colors)) with the post on the front sear.
    Gen 2 - modified front sear that changed the post to a shelf on the front sear.
    Gen 3 - modified hammer with a higher cut notch, shelf on the front sear.
    Gen 4 - original or modified hammer, removal of the auto sear, shelf on the front sear. Anomaly - see below.

But people got caught up in color changes instead of redesign changes so when what was called the Gen 2 (due to color change) which originally came with a post on the front sear was changed to a shelf but the color remained the same on the parts, it became known as the Gen 2.1. But in reality, if you look at part redesign/removal only, then there are only the 4 generations as indicated above if you accept the anomaly mentioned below.

Of course there are the real early versions of the hammer packs (prior to 2007) and they came in a multitude of different colored parts, but as far as I have been able to find, there were no part redesign or changes, so they all fall into the Gen 1 grouping, regardless of colors of parts.

Now when there were aftermarket parts made available (metal sear/hammer or short pull hammer) people started to refer to their Gen 3 or 4 packs as Gen 2 packs because they replaced the hammer in the Gen 3 packs or installed a hammer and sear in the Gen 4 packs and called their packs a Gen 2 pack, when in reality it functioned like a Gen 2 pack but with aftermarket redesigned parts. These could easily have been adopted as Gen 5 and Gen 6 packs but it became easier and less confusing to refer to them Gen 2 packs (they function the same) with aftermarket parts installed.

I look at the redesign/removal of parts as the defining factor in what Generation the pack is, not the colors. My Gen 1 pack is all black with a very dark green front sear with a post. The pack I bought from MGW in Oct 11 is identical functionally to the Gen 1 pack except for color (mostly grey with black auto sear) so in reality, it is still a Gen 1 pack regardless of the color instead of what was called the Gen 2 due to color change. Then the real Gen 2 pack (I have one) has the redesigned front sear with the shelf. The Gen 3 packs I just got from FN have the redesigned front sear and higher cut hammer notch.

Anomaly:
    Now as far as the Gen 4 is concerned, personally I think it is a Gen 2 or Gen 3 pack with the auto sear removed that was sold separately. This is why you see some with a higher cut notch in the hammer and some with a regular hammer but neither with the auto sear. If this is the case, then there are truly only 3 Generations of hammer packs for the PS90 and only 2 for the FS2000 (one with the auto sear, one without the auto sear). There was only one picture I saw of a Gen 4 pack without the auto sear but with a regular hammer.

Discussion we had back in May in the hammer pack thread and was indicated in this post: Hammer Pack Discussion Thread

I still personally believe that there are only 3 Generations of packs, regardless of colors and based only on redesigned parts: post on the front sear - Gen 1, the shelf on the front sear Gen 2, or the modified hammer with the shelf on the front sear Gen 3. But until I am certain, I will still mention the Gen 4 pack but as an anomaly.

So yes, depending on how you define the hammer packs, it can get very confusing about generations......
    LESTER, jhs27275, M1P90 and 6 others thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    These two items were originally ordered on Oct 29th, 2014. I have spoken with FN several times since then to get an update and was always told they are on back order.

Well, these came in the mail today:

Attachment 69249

Attachment 69257

What I will tell you is that the price of $48 hammer packs are long gone.

These are Gen 3 Hammer Packs.

Midwest Gun Works has them priced a bit on the low side.....
    Now that there may be a new Generation 5 Hammer pack you should feel very fortunate to have been able to pick up the two new Gen 3 packs for the price you paid! The price of Gen 1 thru 3 PS90 Hammer packs will increase even more now!
    dank, HK SD9 Tactical and Smurky thanked this.

$150 for cast plastic? Ridiculous!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links