Does this sound like a gun issue or an ammo issue? - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks Tree12Thanks

Thread: Does this sound like a gun issue or an ammo issue?

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    You do know you can edit your own posts so there is no need to make a follow up post.
    Kakashi66218 thanked this.
    FS2000 Gen 1
    PS90-SBR Gen 2
    FiveseveN
    FN HP SFS
    FN Model 1905/1906
    (MM's #3860084010, #3860084030, #3810084020, #3480084020)

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. The rounds I fired yesterday were loaded into the mags probably in November or December so the ammo boxes w/ lot numbers are long gone. I will take a look at my current stock of SS197 to see if it is largely from the same lot. If so, there is a good likelihood that it will be of the same lot I fired yesterday. Either way, I won't be able to say for sure what the lot or lots were that yesterdays rounds came from. All the bad lot information I have read were in older threads so I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that those lots are largely not in circulation from vendors anymore. I have only bought SS197 from PSA since their prices have been pretty fantastic.

Now on to properly cleaning the chamber, I would like to do it tomorrow when I get home from work. Is there any carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner that is considered better for this application or is there a variety that you guys have had good luck with? I am taking an empty 5.7 case with me tomorrow so I can try to find a cloth/cotton dremel attachment that will fit the chamber nicely. Are there any other better options other than using something like that or is that the best route? I'm going to have to pick up the cleaner solution anyways so may as well get the attachment while I'm out too. Based on what more than one of you have mentioned, I will keep the polymer stuff well clear of the cleaning solution I cleaned the chamber with a brass brush and oil, didn't realize I needed to use something different due to the coatings on the brass. Lesson learned, hopefully that was the problem!

Clean, lube, fire & repeat! That 197 seems under powdered at best.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    It would be interesting to see those original spent cases .
    Most of the time I use CRC Contact cleaner on in delicate situations. Brake cleaner ....OK great stuff , just be careful around anything plastic....( my .02 from The road to the school of hard knocks. ) I also have a variety of bore cleaners. There is the " nuclear option " cleaner also .... aka acetone ! I have purchased a bulk pack of 6" wooden Q-tips , they come in various sizes ( diameters ) and use them for all kinds of cleaning applications. You could dip a few q-tips in acetone and gently swabb out the chamber area after your initial recleaning is complete. If there is anything in there it will show up on the acetone / cotton swab.
    Again.... be cautious with acetone... for as much as brake cleaner can be a problem with some plastics.... acetone is even worse.

Most of my brushes are bronze from an Otis " Elite package " or whatever it is called.

Hope the above is helpful, I too am sitting on a shat ton of SS197. When I took my SBR out shooting for the 1st time I had some FTF issues in the 1st mag, then I ran a few more mags through and the problem went away. ???? Been fine since. Never did investigate, I was on top of some mountain down south and was a little too busy watching for Diamondbacks.

Few things are as stressful as a bunch of FTF's from your newly built PS90 SBR while being locked on top of some mountain in a private hunt club , down south with some southern boys from the hills all wearing snake boots !!!!!! After a 15 minute debriefing about snakes w/ included picks of the 7 or 8 of them they cleared from the camp area.
    60 " + long 11 rattles or more on the tail..... shat..... I walked right over to my truck and strapped up my Sig 40 too then grabbed my Benchmade fixed blade Adamas and my Oakley gloves .

That's how we roll.... coming out of Michigan !

Moral of the story.... things could be more complicated =
    Last edited by mjk1; 02-04-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

Trump " See You In court " ......

Ok I wasn't able to hit the store for any cleaners but, having read the post above mine, I do have some acetone based nail polish remover. I have also gotten a q-tip chucked up into my dremel and have a 9mm brass brush handy. Is acetone based nail polish remover sufficient to remove this coating residue from the casings and is it safe to use on the PS90 chamber provided NO plastic parts are involved? I can't imagine why it wouldn't be since it is safe to use on fingernails.

I would use MEK if I wanted the chamber completely clean. It is gnarly stuff so follow proper usage rules. Will the PS 90 chamber hold up ok to a bronze brush in a drill?

On another note, he used a fluted chamber on the 9x series rifles. The South American CAVIM ammo used a tar cased sealer. This sealer would fill the flutes and cause failures to extract. I would be interested to know if FN ever tested uncoated cases and a fluted chamber to aid in extraction.
    PursuitSS thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgall View Post
    I would use MEK if I wanted the chamber completely clean. It is gnarly stuff so follow proper usage rules. Will the PS 90 chamber hold up ok to a bronze brush in a drill?

On another note, he used a fluted chamber on the 9x series rifles. The South American CAVIM ammo used a tar cased sealer. This sealer would fill the flutes and cause failures to extract. I would be interested to know if FN ever tested uncoated cases and a fluted chamber to aid in extraction.
    The idea of a fluted chamber is an interesting thought, HK has used it to great success.

But, IIRC the coating is also required for the rounds to feed in the PS90 magazine.

I would think that Nickle plating the casings would work better than lacquer.
    Last edited by PursuitSS; 02-06-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Does anyone know the melting temperature of the coating used on 5.7 ammo ? I may have to collect some empty brass and try to see if I can melt any of it off.

I know the poly and lacquer used on barnaul steel cased ammo can't be burned off with a propane torch, which is why I think the lacquer scare is bunk. You would have to have the chamber so hot that rounds would be cooking off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links