Where is it made? - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree53Thanks

Thread: Where is it made?

I wouldn't waste my time with all your spreadsheets and speculation. It is imported as a rifle so already 922r. Even if not, 922r is a joke and unenforceable
    BigBuckeyeGuy, Smurky and hillbillyjim thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by hermanpj View Post
    NO offense of any kind but I have read that exact thing you stated, and the exact opposite re SBR'ing, both made from folks purporting to be experts. Those arguing take sides re two BATFE memos, the later of which says 922R is required when doing a Form 1 SBR on a foreign made weapon, the former memo is ambiguous, so there seems to be some debate. I've seen this lack of clarity on Beretta forums re the CX4, on Benelli forums re the MP-4, On the High Road, and other forums in general, and on the FiveseveN forum.

There was zero debate on the CZ forum where you can follow links to CZ's online store, on which CZ actually sells 922R compliance kits explicitly so that when you Form 1 SBR your Skorpion, you will be compliant 922R compliant. Further CZ provided the forum a BATFE approved diagram with the 16 applicable 922R parts denoted precisely in diagram and in a list. And they published a memo from the BATFE stating that SBR'ing a Skorpion does require 922R compliance due to its foreign manufacture, and that the number of the parts therein enumerated was 16. All of which pretty much told me that for that gun, it was applicable

Nowhere have I seen anyone definitively answer this question for the FN PS90

It may be that 922R doesn't apply to the PS90 because it lacks a collapsing stock, lacks a bayonette lug, isn't considered to have a pistol grip... but I'd like to find someone who perhaps contacted the BATFE and got a memo back w a ruling.

So not to doubt you, but in the interest of consensus, does anyone second or dissent from Merlin's input?
    None taken. Just be careful what you ask for, as what happened to the pistol braces from people asking the Bat Boys for clarification.
    FS2KSTD, Smurky, blkbd and 1 others thanked this.
    "Molon Labe!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McWillis View Post
    I have been involved in the creation and transfer of....many, MANY PS90 SBR's and there have been exactly zero 922 issues.
    If ANYONE knows what they are talking about on SBR'ing PS90's, it would be Mark.

You can trust his advice!

End of story.
    Last edited by PursuitSS; 04-24-2017 at 07:27 PM.
    Smurky, Merlin, Mark McWillis and 1 others thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    Few if any have more experience with the PS90 than Mark and I would trust what he's stating here. There are MANY PS90 SBRs made from PS90s by submitting a form 1, acquiring a tax stamp and after approval removing the 16 inch barrel and installing a barrel shorter than 16 inches most likely 10.3-10.4. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish. The P90 armorer manual is referenced, if you are making a P90, that's an entirely different Scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McWillis View Post
    I have been involved in the creation and transfer of....many, MANY PS90 SBR's and there have been exactly zero 922 issues.
    LESTER, Mark McWillis and hillbillyjim thanked this.

Hello All, new to the forum from TX. Good info on SBR PS90, is there a step-by-step for SBRing SCAR 10"? edit...sorry accidently posted on this post rather than starting another thread.
    Last edited by SCARedfan; 04-24-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    None taken. Just be careful what you ask for, as what happened to the pistol braces from people asking the Bat Boys for clarification.
    New ATF ruling. you can now shoulder wrist braces. no joke.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Ever since I went to the vet everything has been loud as f#ck.

Number 1 qualification on resume "Able to piss people off" and have ship load of references to prove it, But they all hate me!

Quote Originally Posted by blkbd View Post
    New ATF ruling. you can now shoulder wrist braces. no joke.
    You need to be careful with a statement like that. Only stabilizing pistol braces from SB-Tactical are the ones listed on the ATF reversal.

SB-Tactical_ATF-Reversal-of-Open-Letter-Position-1.pdf
    Smurky and Merlin thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurky View Post
    Few if any have more experience with the PS90 than Mark and I would trust what he's stating here. There are MANY PS90 SBRs made from PS90s by submitting a form 1, acquiring a tax stamp and after approval removing the 16 inch barrel and installing a barrel shorter than 16 inches most likely 10.3-10.4. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish. The P90 armorer manual is referenced, if you are making a P90, that's an entirely different Scenario?
    the reference to the P90 armorer's manual was in regards to comparing the 20 enumerated, 922r parts, of which, when one makes a firearm, it cannot contain more than 10. The difference between a P90 and PS90 is not hugely significant so the P90 armorers manual, which explains the operation of every specific part in all of the assemblies, helps figure out what that parts count is. Then based on what's being made in the marketplace, you can figure out what you would need to replace to get that count below 10. It looks relatively easy to get the PS90 to be 922r compliant even if it were not applicable.

I trust all the experts on this board, and I appreciate the inputs. to sum up where I think this stands: nobody has heard of a 922r concern when SBR'ing PS90s, everybody agrees this should not be an issue, and if it did apply, given the parts don't have to be marked as to country of origin, the burden would be on the BATFE to prove you had more than 10 parts. However, the consensus of the expert inputs is reflects nobody has actually asked the BATFE this question re this particular firearm, so nobody actually knows for sure, i.e. with documented certainty. It may be that people are telling me, and I'm not getting it in my head, that since the gun was already imported as a rifle, it already had to meet 922r? But 922r doesn't apply to buying a firearm or owning it, it applies to MAKING one, which is what you attest you are doing when you apply for a form 1... and around the wheel we go again.

I do agree that it is not even remotely, statistically likely to ever be an issue. But I did reach out to the BATFE for information. If its favorable I'll post it here. Finally, The reason I asked all these questions to begin with, is that in the case of the CZ Scorpion Pistol, when I SBR'ed it, the BATFE had already told CZ USA that Form 1 SBR'ed CZ Scorpion Pistols would have to be 922r compliant.

Anyway, I am content I got all the experts to weigh in with as much info as there is known about this, and its a good outcome.

People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanpj View Post
    It may be that people are telling me, and I'm not getting it in my head, that since the gun was already imported as a rifle, it already had to meet 922r? But 922r doesn't apply to buying a firearm or owning it, it applies to MAKING one, which is what you attest you are doing when you apply for a form 1... and around the wheel we go again.
    I think you summarized it quite nicely, and I will again. The difference is making an SBR from a legally imported PS90 rifle that is already legal for FN USA to import and individuals to own. The CZ pistol was not imported as a rifle and at the time unavailable for sale as a rifle/carbine in the US. As a result 922r compliance was applicable to make the CZ pistol a rifle. The imported "nonsporting" parts had to be reduced so it would no longer be restricted. The CZ had to be compliant because the individual was making it an SBR Rifle that was not at the time legally imported into the US short barrel or not.

I am not an attorney and this should not be mistaken for legal advice. This is only my opinion and good luck with you PS90 project.
    dank, LESTER, BigBuckeyeGuy and 2 others thanked this.

I'm good with that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links