Help with laser install - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks Tree46Thanks

Thread: Help with laser install

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    The FDA restricts the output power of visible lasers that can be sold to “civilians” to no more than 5 milliwatts (mW) and classifies lasers we are allowed to buy for firearms as Class IIIA. Generally, they are deemed “eye safe” because if you happen to stare at one, your brain would trigger a blink reflex long before the laser could damage your retina. Because infrared lasers (Class IV) are invisible and thus cannot cause a blink reflex, the FDA highly regulates their sale.

From the FDA website (US Dept of Health and Human Services)

FDA regulates all laser products, even handheld, battery-powered lasers that are available for purchase FROM manufacturers, importers, assemblers, dealers or distributors in the United States and its territories. This includes lasers manufactured or obtained on a continuing basis for the purpose of sale or resale.

FDA requires that manufacturers of these lasers limit the power of the laser light to 5 milliWatts (often abbreviated as "mW") or less. The labeling or packaging must allow the purchaser to know the power of the laser, its hazard class, and its wavelength before the laser is purchased. Even online advertisements must display this information for the purchaser.
    Even the smallest handheld, battery-powered lasers are capable of emitting laser light at hazardous powers. Larger models, the size of a small flashlight, can burn skin and pop balloons. More importantly, consumers should assume any size handheld battery-powered laser they do not directly control has the potential to blind or permanently affect eyesight.
    One way to determine if such a laser has been manufactured to regulatory power and hazard class limits is to find labeling. The labeling that comes with the laser (and online labeling) must display the power, hazard class, and wavelength. The wavelength is a number that describes the color of the beam.
    The label must display the laser power. It must be 5 milliWatts or less. The label must display the hazard class. It must be Class I, Class IIa, Class II, Class IIIa or Class 1, Class 2 or Class 3R.

As I indicated, no more than 5mW allowed for civilians for use on firearms.

If you are LEO or MIL or other Govt agency, then you can get a variance for the limitation.
    Omnislug and PursuitSS thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    Mike...I tried the brad point drill idea and bought the exact drills that I needed. Did not work out well even with the stock supported and clamped and using my mini mill as the drilling instrument. I think PP tried that as well and that is why he says in his instructions to drill a smaller hole and then using a grinding stone with a Dremmel, size the hole as needed.

The brad point drill chipped the stock between the battery hole and the "trigger" switch and now I have to find a way to repair the stock. But regardless, the lens' will pop out after awhile. Laserex does not use enough holding agent and there are many reports from LE Agencies of problems with this happening to the lasers in the P90's.

Remember folks, that as a civilian, you are limited to 5mW total output on lasers on firearms. This is promulgated by the FDA (of all agencies) which has authority over lasers. IIRC LEO's and MIL personnel as well as Fed Govt Agencies are not limited by this but that the firearm that the laser is installed on can not be personally owned, but has to be an "agency" firearm.
    HK ,
    Thanks for preventing that boondoggle.....! I have been contemplating this project for a long time and never made it to PP's site .
    I have a spare stock , has anyone ever tried a series of end mills ? ( maybe increasing in size ) Sneaking up on the final diameter , either 2 flute or 4 flute ?
    Maybe running at a high RPM so the cutter does not grab . Or maybe using the power feed for a controllable machine cut that removes the " human " factor ?
    From time to time I use a casting material , it called Repro( or something like that ). I have used foil tape to section off specific areas, then cast it ( spraying the molded parts with " mold release " 1st ) ... This may provide support for the flexible thin wall condition and eliminate another variable ?

Just asking some questions.... I'm hesitant on this project.... thus why it's still sitting in my project drawer.
    No need to be feeling bummed.... after screwing the pooch !!!! I rather learn from others mistakes +..... how many lasers can 1 guy install before he earns the " technology " ????
    I might try to contact PP, I know Nick a little.
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

URIAH HEEP " Stealin when I should have been Buying " !

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    Mike...I tried the brad point drill idea and bought the exact drills that I needed. Did not work out well even with the stock supported and clamped and using my mini mill as the drilling instrument. I think PP tried that as well and that is why he says in his instructions to drill a smaller hole and then using a grinding stone with a Dremmel, size the hole as needed.

The brad point drill chipped the stock between the battery hole and the "trigger" switch and now I have to find a way to repair the stock. But regardless, the lens' will pop out after awhile. Laserex does not use enough holding agent and there are many reports from LE Agencies of problems with this happening to the lasers in the P90's.

Remember folks, that as a civilian, you are limited to 5mW total output on lasers on firearms. This is promulgated by the FDA (of all agencies) which has authority over lasers. IIRC LEO's and MIL personnel as well as Fed Govt Agencies are not limited by this but that the firearm that the laser is installed on can not be personally owned, but has to be an "agency" firearm.
    I have used this 2 part epoxy (PC-7) in the past to repair plastic parts and it should work very well for your repair. Now I see it is available at Home Depot. It can be sanded and painted when cured and very tough. Clean the area well and rough it up a bit before applying.
    PC Products PC-7 Paste Epoxy 1/2 lb.-087770 - The Home Depot
    HK SD9 Tactical and mjk1 thanked this.
    "Molon Labe!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Mike,

Are you STILL procrastinating? LOL... Been awhile since I have checked in the thread caught my eye.

Later...
    FS2000 Gen 1 OD Green
    FS2000 Gen 1 Black
    PS90 Tri-Rail GEN 2
    PS90 Tri-Rail GEN 2 w/ laser stock
    PI90 SBR w/ laser stock
    PI90 SBR w/ Aimpoiont Micro T1
    FiveseveN
    FiveseveN MKII
    FNX-45 TAC
    FN-9C

As you can see I use the number of devices in order to make the holes for the Laserex. What the best item was the hole chart which I could use to dremel the holes to get them in a perfect position
    Attached Images Attached Images
    blkbd and BigBuckeyeGuy thanked this.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by asrassoc View Post
    Mike,

Are you STILL procrastinating? LOL... Been awhile since I have checked in the thread caught my eye.

Later...
    Well .... I'm pretty close to having an identical collection as you... if you could share one of your PI90's with me .... we could each own 1....( LOL )
    Considering I have an FsN IOM in addition to the MKII & FsN OD... I would like to point out your down one collectable. Of course I may have a couple extra PS90's ( to be expected ) I still am short an FN-9C. Not to mention .... your short a 17 ? What's up with that ?
    I did increase my Laserex count to 2... and have 2 Tri-Rails of course ...
    This is going to happen soon.... @ that time.... " balance in the universe will be restored " =...! I have to survive 6-30-17 ( a daughters wedding ).

I do like the drafting hole chart from "Jswct " and have also been playing around with the idea of trying a metric reamer ( special order ). I want to try to simulate some test cuts before installing .... fortunately ... I have a couple extra stocks green & black for my sbr's...

PEACE.... mjk1 OUT !
    PursuitSS thanked this.
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

URIAH HEEP " Stealin when I should have been Buying " !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links