Showing potential buyer Serial #

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree24Thanks

Thread: Showing potential buyer Serial #

Showing potential buyer Serial #

Hello all,

I am in the process of selling my PS90 to someone and they asked to see the Serial # on the weapon. Should I be cautious about showing the individual the serial #? I dont see any reason to be concerned by our conversations thus far but Id rather get some additional input from yall if what he asking is resonable. Thanks in advance and Happy Fathers day!

He wanted pics of the serial # just to clarify.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    some reasons

see if it's stolen
    if he gets jobbed on sale has sn to show police.
    To make sure you arent bs lots of fraud out there right now
    Merlin, Kakashi66218, Mntsnow and 2 others thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

It also indicates date of manufacture.
    Mntsnow thanked this.

i don't see any problems with it. i don't even understand it when i see people cover up the s/n in pics when they post a weapon for sale and such.

the serial number is only unique to the weapon itself. it's not like a SSN where someone can use it for fraud. there is no reason to keep it a secret unless someone IS trying to sell a stolen weapon or using the pic to defraud someone.
    TheCameraMan79 thanked this.

I understand where gomeybear is coming from, and also understand why someone would want to the the serial number for all the above stated reasons. Since this thread popped up I'll ask a question I've wondered about. Can a person find out your identity and where you live with the serial number ? If it was originally purchased from a store, your name and address, and possibly social security number is attached to the purchasing paper work. I don't believe anyone except law enforcement would have access to that information. But I've wondered if someone with an inside connection to courthouse personnel or a dispatcher, or even a dishonest LEO could abuse such information. Personally I would roll the dice and have no problem giving out the serial number, as that's a rare scenario - but is it possible ?
    hillbillyjim thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Man View Post
    I understand where gomeybear is coming from, and also understand why someone would want to the the serial number for all the above stated reasons. Since this thread popped up I'll ask a question I've wondered about. Can a person find out your identity and where you live with the serial number ? If it was originally purchased from a store, your name and address, and possibly social security number is attached to the purchasing paper work. I don't believe anyone except law enforcement would have access to that information. But I've wondered if someone with an inside connection to courthouse personnel or a dispatcher, or even a dishonest LEO could abuse such information. Personally I would roll the dice and have no problem giving out the serial number, as that's a rare scenario - but is it possible ?
    the big answer is NO.

4473 forms are kept on file for a certain length of time only at the FFL and then destroyed by them. they ARE NOT sent to the ATF despite common belief.

when i firearm is used in a crime the ATF goes to the manufacturer. they give them the same of the distributor it was sold to. the distilled then gives the name of the dealer it was sold to. the dealer then gives the name of the person it was sold to. this is why it takes a week or so to find out the info. this is also a good reason to have a bill of sale should you even sell a weapon to someone. outside of the NFA database, there is not a registry on guns.

i'm 100% sure there will be a conspiracy theorist along to tell me i am wrong but i spent 23 years working along side the ATF on cases and have a pretty solid idea on how these things work. there is NO WAY possible someone can find out who you are by simply seeing the s/n of your weapon unless its used to commit a crime.

also, after 911 and the patriot act it has become really hard for a "dishonest" LEO to run your history. prior to that time anyone with access to the database could run it without consequences.
    now when your info is run, it is forever tagged with who ran it and for what reason. this is how they know that so and so was questioned on a particular incident back in 2003 by John Doe LEO.

of course this doesn't apply to someone asking a question on the street or for directions.
    Last edited by street doctor; 06-18-2017 at 01:55 PM.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    If you are worried about someone finding out where you live you shouldn't use any message board. These sites are easily hacked and they can trace where each one of us are through the IP address. That's why some people use proxy servers but some forums ban users that use that cause usually used by trolls. That's why I'm not scare of posting pics it's just a pia to do it
    Canyon Man, JavaJoe_2, Smurky and 2 others thanked this.

Thanks Street Doctor. This is valuable information to know. I didn't really have a lot of concern over it, but had wondered about the rare possibility of it happening. And Hillbillyjim, I've also wondered about security here on the forum, and other sites too. I suppose there is a certain risk we take when posting. I recently sold a pistol on back page, and it put my exact address in when I posted the ad. It had never did that before, and I should have reviewed it better before clicking the post button. I immediately caught it and deleted it, but gees, I had sold on back page before and it never did that. I appreciate the insight guys - this day and age ya know. It's nice to access to the expertise of others on this forum.
    hillbillyjim, LESTER and street doctor thanked this.

I wouldn't be concerned about posting my serial numbers on a forum, but it wouldn't matter because of my boating accident.
    LESTER, aquaticpig, kansas and 1 others thanked this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links