FN Herstal Firearms banner

Repainting AR15 Mags to Match SCAR Mags

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jimk23 
#1 ·
I want to repaint some AR15 mags to match the ones that came with my scar. Just what color would you say the scar mags are? Dark earth brown? They are darker than the rifle it self. Or the closest color that is available in a spray can commercially.

#2 ·
If you are painting mags, I would go with Molyresin from John Norell. Though as nails and available in FDE (about the same exact FDE as the magpul mags, or so Magpul says)

I have used in in many AK builds, and if you blast/park before, you can't even put a scratch on the final product.

#3 ·
I'm not so concerned about unscratchable paint job. Just getting these mags to look better. They are pretty scratched up in their unpainted bare aluminum condition. No dents, though. I put a couple coats of Krylon tough coat acrylic enamel for a base coat. I'll go to Wal-Mart and see what they have that's close to FDE.

#4 ·
Back in the day when black guns were black we used bow/Archery spray in the Army. It works fine and can be taken off without damaging the gun. I can't see spending a lot of time painting a $15 mag.

#7 ·
Model Master works good, although it's not impervious to solvents. The colors non-reflective (flat) and can readily be located at the local hobby joint.

I used the stuff on a bull-barreled 10/22 I did around 20 years ago. It was in my early days of tinkering with off-the-cuff ideas.

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.