FN SCAR Mixed Reports

FN Forum

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

FN SCAR Mixed Reports

Hi, I wanted to purchase an FN SCAR 16S but I have heared mixed reports from various sources. My cousin who is in SOCOM told me his unit hated them mainly because the stock would break all the time. They switched back to Colt m4's becasue the buffer tube is heavy duty. Tehy also hated the front sights on this rifle. I have been wanting one for a year now and have the funds to get one but I have been having second thoughts now, and maybe waiting for the Rem ACR instead would be a better idea, I know three people who sold there SCARS a week after getting them. So are they worth buying or should I wait for the ACR.

Are the stocks really that cheap? and does the rifle overall feel flimsy?

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    Mine hasn't broke yet, and with the type use I do with it I'm not worried about any part of the rifle breaking. If you are worried about the stock latch breaking, Troy is supposed to be releasing a metal stock latch sometime in the future.

Senior Member DO YOU FEEL LUCKY, WELL DO YA PUNK? joshua79109's Avatar
    I would say the SCAR is a rifle you have to want. If your on the fence, but think you want one - just make sure you buy at a good price so you don't loose much if you sell.

If you have that much doubt I'd find someone who has one to let you see it (possibly shoot it), and then you might want to wait for your other choices to become available for comparison. Where are you - maybe one of us on here is close enough to your to let you check our SCAR.
    Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Senior Member KIRK'S AWAY TEAM (blue shirt)
    I have to say I love my rifle. I paid $3000 for mine and I have no regrets. Sights do kind of suck though. But I have an aimpoint ml3 on mine so I'm not too concerned with it. I don't abuse my stock so no problems with it, but I'll tell you what, talk about comfortable! It's hard shooting an AR after my SCAR because its nowhere near as fun to shoot!
    May God grant us the wisdom to discover the right, the will to choose it, and the strength to make it endure.

You have time on your side. As you wait, I'm sure the price will drop a bit more. More information will be available, parts, etc. See what happens with the ACR. Then you can decide what to spend the money on.
    AMP Engineering PS90 trigger installation video:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Man Kave PS90 Mag rollers installation video:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Man Kave PS90 Ext. Mag release installation video:

January 2017 OBAMA will leave, with nothing left behind.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter medic103's Avatar

Re: Mixed Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Scorpion
    Hi, I wanted to purchase an FN SCAR 16S but I have heared mixed reports from various sources. My cousin who is in SOCOM told me his unit hated them mainly because the stock would break all the time. They switched back to Colt m4's becasue the buffer tube is heavy duty. Tehy also hated the front sights on this rifle. I have been wanting one for a year now and have the funds to get one but I have been having second thoughts now, and maybe waiting for the Rem ACR instead would be a better idea, I know three people who sold there SCARS a week after getting them. So are they worth buying or should I wait for the ACR.

Are the stocks really that cheap? and does the rifle overall feel flimsy?
    I have a hard time believing that stocks were breaking all the time. If anything, maybe the female side of the latch would break with some unreasonable force against it. Maybe. The rifle is far from flimsy. This isn't FN's first rodeo making assault weapons. These rifles were tested. It's kinda foolish to think they were babied during tests. Hell, just follow some of the old pics in this forum and you can tell the guns were not babied by real operators. If some grunts are using the weapons in ways that it's not meant to be used, they're probably the same guys not cleaning their M4's regularly and calling them junk for malfunctioning frequently. Any time a thread has any " my buddy who' in XXX", or " My cousin who lives in XXX and knows XXX " in it, I call BS on it. No offense to the OP.

I've shot the ACR, and handled it for a while. It's a nice gun, no doubt. Feels a lot cheaper than the SCAR when your playing with it. I like the stock better, and the complete modularity, but the sample I played with was inferior in the build quality compared to my SCAR. Maybe because it was used and my SCAR is new. I'll buy an ACR as soon as they're available and the price is normal, but I still like my SCAR.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    I have covered this topic extensively, and all who were around for my write-ups would agree that I told it like it is.

If you plan on going to war, grab an AK and be done with it. You want the apex of durability at the expense of weight, then buy a Galil. The SCAR to me is a nice little rifle that needs some improvements in the knuckle assembly at the expense of weight. I've also addressed the trigger, in that I've improved mine for shooting paper, but as issued, it's fine for the field.

ACR? Vaporware! Maybe it will debut, maybe it won't. I know the SCAR is available today, and that's what we're discussing. If the ACR ever does come to market, I'd be inclined to buy at least one. It's in my nature...

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

ORDERS:

AUTHORIZED FN LE/Mil DISTRIBUTOR

07/02 SOT FIREARM MANUFACTURER

Law Enforcement / Military / Commercial Sales

O: 815-977-5167

Accepting All Major Credit Cards

Senior Member CAN KILL GOATS WITH HIS MIND imschur's Avatar
    Heres some nice pics of the ACR

http://www.aacblog.com/?p=5218

Has anyone here ever seen an actual pic of a broken SCAR stock?

The stock latch, yes. Several months ago somewhere on here IIRC.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links