Patience dwindling

FN Forum

Google Search

View Poll Results: Should I spend the extra coin or continue waiting for the price I'd like to pay?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spend the extra coin it's totally worth it

17 39.53%
  • You've waited this long, perseverance will pay off

26 60.47%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree38Thanks

Thread: Patience dwindling

Patience dwindling

Okay so I bought my scar 17 back in '14 and absolutely love it. It runs flawlessly, shoots great, fits like a glove and can't say enough good things about it, it is my favorite rifle. Well I've got ARs, AKs and tryed a few friends bullpups and still keep coming back to the fact I want a 16s. I knew I wanted one when I bought my 17s and when I bought two geissele super scar triggers knowing I would eventually buy one. At the time I bought my new 17s it was just under 2800 before tax and all and 16's were selling for 22-2500 new and since then prices have been steadily creeping up. I have the cash on hand to buy but I can't seem to find a deal to good to pass up. I keep watching reviews and hearing the same line "the 16s is not worth the money but the 17s totally is" and gun shop clerks saying 16s's sit on the shelf for months but we can't get enough 17s. When hearing this I keep thinking to my self if reviews are negative regarding the price and that 16s's aren't selling then the price should come down, yet all they have done is go up. I assume due to the media manufactured panics and everyone worried about the hillpocalypse. So here I am almost three years later still trying to find the right time to buy a 16s for a reasonable price 2300ish b4 tax new. I just can't see spending within $500 of my 17s for the "less desirable" 223 version. Y'all probably think I'm crazy or stupid and should have just bought one already but I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it. So my fellow FN fanatics I beg of you to push me over the edge and motivate me to spend the few extra hundred bucks and get this fine firearm already, because it's worth it. Or tell me to stay strong and ever vigilant on the hunt for the price I've so patiently waited for. Is 2200-2300 new either color to much to hope for?(of course FDE is preferred to match my 17s) should I expect a decrease in price due to Trumps victory or is another manufactured panic right around the corner and prices are going to stay high and continue rising? And any folks with both please share your opinion of the 16s and which one you purchased first and if it was worth it. Thanks all for taking the time to read this long winded OP and happy holidays.

And on a funny side note still can't decide what optic to eventually run on it either after three years of contemplating.(but we will save that for another thread in the proper accessories, optics... section)
    Last edited by ktmguy; 12-24-2016 at 05:07 PM.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I would wait! everything is returning to normal!
    Last edited by LESTER; 12-24-2016 at 05:08 PM.
    akitainu, hillbillyjim, dank and 4 others thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I'm sure as the new year gets going you'll see greater availability. I don't foresee a big price drop though...a modest one maybe. The SCARs usually don't get volume stocked like some of the more available carbines. That and since they come over from Belgium in what seems to be spaced out batches, they seem to thin out (fairly) quickly. But I could be wrong about the price...it sure wouldn't be the first time.

I actually got the 16 before the 17. It was less of a start up cost for me (mags). It is hands down my favorite way to launch 5.56 (especially in 10" SBR form). The familiarity of operation makes it a damn fine companion to the 17. I don't regret spending that extra coin even though I have several other fine options for 5.56. Whatever you spend you'll forget about soon enough.

Good SCAR hunting to you and Merry Christmas.
    LESTER, hillbillyjim, dank and 1 others thanked this.
    “If we win here we will win everywhere. The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.” Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lester. As one of the, in my opinion, MVPs of this forum I hold your opiinion in very high regard. (Most Venerable Patron)
    LESTER thanked this.

A short drive from the center of the universe
    I guess you've waited this long, so you might as well hang in there a few months longer to see where the market goes. Having said that, I would have never tormented myself for 3 years over a few hundred bucks. I would have bought the damn thing back when I first decided I wanted it (which I did) and would have gotten more joy out of shooting it those years then having the few hundred dollars in my pocket which I probably would have just blown on hookers and booze.
    akitainu and Type5 thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Demons run when a good man goes to war

Thank you akitainu for the logical perspective, I also hold the highest respect for your opinion as you are without a doubt MVP status as well.
    akitainu thanked this.

Thanks 17heavy, I've had plenty of AR builds and motorcycle restorations to keep me fairly well occupied but it has always been on my mind and as I build different ARs I think to myself should i have just got the 16s instead. Yet I never came across the right one, I have my reservations but I doubt it will disappoint when my time finally comes.
    Last edited by ktmguy; 12-24-2016 at 05:37 PM.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I would give it a couple months for inventories to go up after obama is officially done and the market figures out without California demand
    akitainu, LESTER, Grinder and 1 others thanked this.

Would wait- soft market to follow!! Just think the coin you save can be applied to an optic or other goodies.
    dank, FS2KSTD, hillbillyjim and 1 others thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

I bought mine from a LGS a few years ago. Have you asked around to see what they would charge if they could order one when the next batch came in? If their price is within what you consider reasonable perhaps you can have them put an order in and then sit back and wait.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links