Help needed choosing muzzle brake

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree7Thanks

Thread: Help needed choosing muzzle brake

Stf

Help needed choosing muzzle brake

'Funny' story: My go-to FFL guy calls and says he has factory SCAR 16 bbls in all lengths, and asks if I want to go SBR.

On a budget, and wanting the performance of a bbl no shorter than 14", I ask if the stock FN (PWS) muzzle brake pinned to a stock FN bbl comes to 16". He measures and assures me it does. Skeptical, I ask if he is measuring on an assembled rifle (to the bolt face), or on one of the barrels. After much back and forth, he repeatedly assures me of legality, and I tell him I'll trade my 16" bbl for a 14" bbl with a pinned and welded stock FN muzzle brake.

Ha-Ha on me, I pick it up, assemble the rifle to discover that I am a felon at 15 1/2"! I dis-assemble it like it's on fire, take the 'illegal' barrel to a friend's house for safekeeping, and call my FFL guy on the way to tell him what I think of his measuring skills and judgement. (he's really sorry.)

So now I am looking for a muzzle brake that performs "as well as" the PWS. (I don't care about the noise and blast, I love the way it works), but is at least 2 5/8" long (mebbe even with a washer) Most companies don't list an overall length online.

I know the vast wisdom of the forum will save me much time and trouble searching. THANKS!

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    This will get you to 2.6 and you need to be at 2.625 https://deadairsilencers.com/product...-muzzle-brake/
    Add a small spacer and you should be good to go.
    Stf thanked this.
    Silencer Shop
    Stocking distributor for AAC, Bowers, Gemtech, Griffin Armament, Knight's Armament, Rugged Suppressors, SIG SAUER Silencers, SureFire, Tactical Solutions, Thompson Machine, Thunder Beast Arms, Yankee Hill Machine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    /

512-931-4556

I highly recommend the Dead Air flash hider on a 14", pinned and welded to 16"+.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Stf
    Thanks, but I really want a muzzle brake.

If your FFL doesn't measure the barrel length PRIOR to doing a pin/weld job, he needs that barrel assembly inserted somewhere, along with your boot?

If you weren't stuck on a muzzle brake/comp, I'd suggest a B.E. Meyers 249F.
    Last edited by FS2KSTD; 03-15-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    akitainu and Libtards in Seattle thanked this.
    Μολὼν λάβε

"Basic safety...it ain't quantum physics." ~akitainu

Have you looked at the Surefire Warcomp? Its a take off there flash hider that has muzzle brake features....
    WarComp Series Flash Hiders (2.84")
    Stf thanked this.

Stf
    Quote Originally Posted by FS2KSTD View Post
    If your FFL doesn't measure the barrel length PRIOR to doing a pin/weld job, he needs that barrel assembly inserted somewhere, along with your boot?

If you weren't stuck on a muzzle brake/comp, I'd suggest a B.E. Meyers 249F.
    Yeah, well, he and I were cops together, and I love the guy, and get a lot of my work done for free... In this case it was worth every penny. I can forgive him, but I will never let him forget... MUAH HA HA HA HA HA!!
    FS2KSTD thanked this.

Stf
    I'll tell you all why I am so married to a muzzle brake. I was never thrilled with the AR-15, for all the usual engineering reasons, and was researching what would be the optimum design for a defensive carbine. It seemed like the SCAR was the ultimate. I called Mr. FFL (same guy) and asked if he could bring one to the range so I could try it. He did, I touched off the first shot, and felt that weird recoil impulse, and saw that my sights were still on the spot where I called my shot. I turned to him and said "get me one."

SureFire SFMB-556-1/2-28 Muzzle Brake / Suppressor Adapter

My fav. Also enables you to get a Surfure suppressor down the road. I have this on my 16S and love it.
    Stf thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Here is my experience doing this: http://fnforum.net/forums#/topics/76940

If I were to do it over I would go with the Surefire Warcomp
    Stf thanked this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links