Where to find AAC closed prong flash hider/attachment

FN Forum

Where to find AAC closed prong flash hider/attachment

Where can a person find the original AAC closed prong flash hider/suppressor mounting attachment that the first pictures of the SCAR 16S showed? I know the Sig 556 SWAT muzzle attachment is a poor copy of it, and the closest thing that AAC currently offers is the Blackout but I don't care for open-pronged flash hiders for multiple reasons.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    I would try some of the suppressor or C3 forums out there. The way I understood it, AAC discontinued the design. They found that gas erosion was getting the best of it so they shelved it for the Blackout.

I doubt if you'll find one new but stranger things have happened.

Senior Member FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS Tbone's Avatar
    Call AAC directly. They may still have a few laying around. You may also want to try BullsEye in Lawrenceville Ga. If you are using it with a can it will erode faster just like Sarge said. If you dont shoot suppressed very much it will last longer.

Truthfully, I want it for the looks as I don't plan on getting a suppressor. I strongly dislike the PWS brake that comes stock on the SCAR 16S.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance White
    Truthfully, I want it for the looks as I don't plan on getting a suppressor. I strongly dislike the PWS brake that comes stock on the SCAR 16S.
    It's all personal preference. I got past the fugliness of them because they're effective, and they're OEM. The AAC unit is designed towards flash suppression more than muzzle stabilization/recoil reduction.

If you do find one, lemme know. I can always have a spare PWS brake on hand for something else that may wander into my life on a whim.

You could always install the Blackout 18T or 51T Muzzle Brake?
    Μολὼν λάβε

"Basic safety...it ain't quantum physics." ~akitainu

Lance, if you are talking about this one

I have a LNIB one that I packaged up and was saving just in case I ever went back to a SCAR16. I will be sticking with the SCAR17, so I have been considering putting it up for sale. AAC is not making them anymore due to some erosion issues (ONLY experienced when firing suppressed for an extended period of time on full auto (according to Mike at AAC)) and haven't for some time. I'd spoken to Mike about it and he really did try to help me track one down. He even gave me a buddy's personal cell number because his buddy loved this flash hider as well as the original A1 18T version (rare as well). The buddy truly wanted to help me out but all his were mounted. Just when I had given up, I stumbled upon an ARFCOM ad for a once-mounted M4-2000 with a 51T Phantom (even rarer than the Phantom 18T). The guy let me buy him a Blackout 51T and ship it to him for an even-up trade. I then packed it away for a rainy day. It is my last one. I had a VERY lightly used one that I sold to a fellow forum-member/friend not long ago (that one is pictured above).

If it is that 18T A1 (below) that you seek, or if you'd like to discuss the 51T Phantom, feel free to PM me.

I bought an 18T Phantom off of GB, mounted it this afternoon. An adjustable wrench tightened smartly, and a few raps from my deadblow hammer on the wrench got the old one loosened up. Rifle looks great now, and will get an AAC "can" sometime this year. AAC is having a silencer shootout about 5 miles from me at a training center in Crawfordsville, AR in June - gonna have to go there.

I traded for one like is attached to the M203 a few months ago on ARFCOM. The teeth were too worn to use with my can so I traded it off for a new three prong. The bird cage was the first mount AAC made the the M4 1000. The second model was the phantom type. Both had durability problems and failed at the front edge of the flutes. The military uses a three prong 18 tooth mount for both the 16 and 17. Those are available through AAC.

"For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know". Anonymous

Links