SCAR 16 Gas control screw thread

FN Forum

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree2Thanks

Thread: SCAR 16 Gas control screw thread

Senior Member KIRK'S AWAY TEAM (GOLD SHIRT)

SCAR 16 Gas control screw thread

OK, since some folks seemed interested, I thought I start a thread on this subject. I ordered an assortment of gas control screws from the Browning parts dept. I placed the order last Wednesday, and the screws arrived today. Pretty snappy service, I'd say!

The part numbers are in the exploded diagram at the top of the forum, but for simplicity, they run from F141250020 to F141250210. There are 20 different part numbers. The SMALLEST port is F141250020, and the LARGEST port is F141250210.

I'll be updating this thread as I compare the port to my unmodified 16s, my chopped and reamed 16s, and let you know my results when I hit the range, which I hope will be Wednesday.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    SB,

Do you have an accurate way (hole gauges or number, letter, fractional, or decimal drill bits) of measuring the through-bore on the corresponding part numbers you purchased?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ORDERS:

AUTHORIZED FN LE/Mil DISTRIBUTOR & 07 LICENSED FIREARM MANUFACTURER

Now Accepting All Major Credit Cards

Member Hits The Target
    Awesome
    Scar 16s

Quote Originally Posted by SgtStrykerUSMC43
    SB,

Do you have an accurate way (hole gauges or number, letter, fractional, or decimal drill bits) of measuring the through-bore on the corresponding part numbers you purchased?

Sadly, no. I have a digital caliper (not much use), a micrometer (no use), and some feeler gauges (no help). I was thinking of getting a set of wire gauge drill bits, so I may pick up a set. For now, I'm gonna use my eyeballs and some thin wire to make some comparisons (no "measurements" yet). I'll add more accurate data if I get the tools to do so.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    No apology necessary SB. All in time my friend... all in time. None of us really think we'll ever be in a situation where we need stuff like this, until we're in a situation like this.

Been there time and again.

ORDERS:

OK, first data point. See this picture:

The gas control screw (GCS) on the left is the 200 (I'll use the last three digits of the part number). The one in the center is the 210 (so these are the two GSC's with the largest gas ports). The one on the right is the GSC as reamed out by HDD. As you can see, the HDD-reamed GSC has a much larger port than even the largest port available from FN. I think this pretty much confirms my suspicion that the HDD chopped gun is way overgassed.

FWIW, I see that Harbor Freight has a cheap set of drill bits in wire gauges. They are probably pretty lousy as drill bits, but pretty decent as gauges. I'm going to pick up a set. And I've decided to take one for the team, and order the remaining screws to complete the set. What the heck, if I need to recoup money later, I figure I can probably sell some later to folks who need to fix botched reaming jobs. But it's not like it's THAT much money. Consider it my donation to the community.

Member Hits The Target
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow
    FWIW, I see that Harbor Freight has a cheap set of drill bits in wire gauges. They are probably pretty lousy as drill bits, but pretty decent as gauges. I'm going to pick up a set. And I've decided to take one for the team, and order the remaining screws to complete the set. What the heck, if I need to recoup money later, I figure I can probably sell some later to folks who need to fix botched reaming jobs. But it's not like it's THAT much money. Consider it my donation to the community.

Awesome! If you could get all the screws port sizes that would be an invaluable asset to the SCAR community.

You could always buy the cheapest bits you can find and measure whichever one fits with your caliper or micrometer to determine the size.
    Scar 16s

Sponsor
    FN Supporter

The gas control screw (GCS) on the left is the 200 (I'll use the last three digits of the part number). The one in the center is the 210 (so these are the two GSC's with the largest gas ports). The one on the right is the GSC as reamed out by HDD. As you can see, the HDD-reamed GSC has a much larger port than even the largest port available from FN. I think this pretty much confirms my suspicion that the HDD chopped gun is way overgassed.
    Hack job. Quick and dirty...

ORDERS:

Senior Member USES HIS SCAR AS A PILLOW

You DA MAN!

OK, dropped by the Harbor Freight at lunch time to pick up the bits. Here's my first crack at the data. I currently have screws 100-210. I will get the rest tomorrow or Thursday, according to the good folks at Browning. Particularly note how HUGE HDD made the port for the barrel chop. And also note that my unmodifed SCAR 16s has, I believe, a F141250100 gas control screw. The measurements are my ESTIMATES based on using the wire gauge drill bits. The screws have more gradiations than the bits, so I've had to make some estimates for those which didn't quite fit a bit exactly. A "+" indicates the bit is SLIGHTLY lose. a "++" means there is a little more play. a "-" indicates the bit nearly fit, but not quite. I did check the bits with a calibrated caliper. The bits match the dimensions provided by the manufacturer within 2 10,000ths. I'll update this thread when I determine the correct screw for my 10.5" gun, and when I get the remainder of the screws in.

dago thanked this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links