SCAR vs ACR?

FN Forum

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree3Thanks

Thread: SCAR vs ACR?

DNA

SCAR vs ACR?

Hi i have around 2 thousand saved up for a new gun. I narrowed it down to the scar and a acr. I cannot decide which to get, the acr has the option to change caliber which is a big plus. I have also found an acr for around 1700 while the SCAR is around 2100. In terms of design they look and function pretty much the same, exept maybe for the scars chrome lined barrel. Now i hear about lots of problems with the acr, like the recall about weapons firing burst on semi auto. Id like to hear what you guys think, so far the price difference has me leaning twards the ACR.

The SCAR man, hands down. This is an FN forum though, I don't know what other answer you'd expect to get. So clearly you're looking for a justification to spend the extra dough.

Lets put it this way, the SCAR won a military contract because of its reliability, it has tons of upgrade options, and it's generally an excellent weapon. Chrome lined barrel = quality and durability. You'll wind up with a 2000 dollar weapon in 30 years, instead of a 500 dollar gun that used to be a 2000 dollar weapon in 30 years.

DNA
    Ya you some what have it right. The extra cash can help with a new scope, i been looking at the accupoints, which are like 700-800 bucks. I know its a fn forum i kind of wanted to hear what u guys had to say, i mainly like the caliber change option of the ACR. switching to a 7.62 is nice if i decided to go hunting.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Don't do it, I owned three ACRs, sold off two of them and now own two SCAR16s and two SCAR17s.

I was not a fan of the SCAR at first and really liked the ACR till I shot them, after I put a lot of rounds through both I fell in love with the SCAR and began to dislike my ACR. I have had to change a number of things on my ACR just to make it a usable rifle to me.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter scarface's Avatar
    You might check out this series of videos...

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter AD2CRL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scarface
    You might check out this series of videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E623_...e_gdata_player
    I watched this about 5 mos ago, its a good review. There is a part 2 and 3 to this review.

I know the issues been resolved but a gas regulator for High/Low gas due to 5.56 and .223 is kinda weak on Bushmater's part. I though this consumers review and follow up was good too.

He has a few more videos and all were informative.
    "Quick..send in B team, A team needs help"

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    I owned both and really liked both. They each had their pluses and minuses. I would never say one was hands-down better than the other...

ACR things I liked; uses any magazine, PMAGS, GI, thermold, etc. Never had an FTF, or FTE. Ate any ammo I fed it.

ACR things I didn't like; weight. Noticeably heavier, dinged the brass (I reload)

SCAR16 things I liked; light-weight, stays on target (more to do with the muzzle brake)

SCAR16 things I didn't like. Sensitive to mags. Doesn't like PMAGs or thermolds. Somewhat sensitive to ammo. Had a few FTF and FTE.

I never had any issues with either and only sold the ACR as I needed a bit of cash and thought it'd be easier to come up with around 1800 bucks to replace it rather than 200 bucks...

If you don't let "fanboys" influence you, you'll be happy with either...

I hope I didn't influence you either way since I'm one of those FNH fanboys!
    FNH SCAR 16
    FNH SCAR 17
    FNH SLP Mk1

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter AD2CRL's Avatar
    I was in the same situation as DNA a few months back, and based my choice strictly what reviews and people said who "actually" owned either or. Im happy i went with the SCAR hands down but thats not to say i wouldnt have liked the ACR just at the time the rifle had bugs and seemed like a no brainer. I still laugh at the fact a Bushmaster rep told this last guy on the vids he may been abusing the rifle.....total BS !! The conservation over the ph is on one of his videos. Enjoy it, I did.
    "Quick..send in B team, A team needs help"

ACR had so much promise. They screwed it up. What a shame.

Someone needs to post this on the Bushmaster industry forum, on ARFCOM.
    AMP Engineering PS90 trigger installation video:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Man Kave PS90 Mag roller install video:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Man Kave PS90 Ext. Mag release install video:

January 2017 OBAMA will leave, with nothing left behind.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links