Heavy trigger on SCAR light

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: Heavy trigger on SCAR light

Heavy trigger on SCAR light

Noobie here - just got a 16S. The trigger is 7 lbs 14 oz - still - after 200 rounds through it. It's also very gritty, particularly the reset. Anybody have a similar story? Is this something that will smooth itself out? Or something FN will fix? If FN - tell me I don't have to ship the whole gun

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    It's normal, all four of my SCARs have heavy, gritty triggers, most members do as well. I have better than 4K through my 16 and it hasn't gotten much better. If you want a better trigger you'll probably need to change it out for a Giessele or Timney trigger.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

Kev
    That sounds about right on as far as the stock trigger goes. Quite a few people have replaced them with the Timney or Geissele offerings. I believe a couple people have also had them polished to help with the gritty feeling.
    Contrary to popular belief, I know exactly what I'm doing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

They do break in, slightly.

You can polish it if you don't want to spend $300-400. It will improve, quite a bit, that I think you will realize there is no need to spend tonnes of money.

Further, there are reputable smiths that, for a smaller fee, will polish it for you and some even insure their work.

I love my factory trigger, it feels pretty light. Not competition light, but light enough to make me a happy camper. I dont know what the pull is though since I dont have a gauge. I just wanted to throw that tid bit out since I keep reading about people complaining about the SCAR factory triggers. I guess I got lucky haha.
    Scientia Potentia Est

I replaced mine with a 3 lb.Timney from Midway USA for a little over $300. I also started a thread about some problems I had with removing the factory trigger, so you might want to check that out. The video about replacing the factory with a Geiselle in that thread will walk you right through it because Timney probably hasn't updated their instructions even though they are aware that they missed a step. I think you'll be happy with the new feel & it should improve your accuracy. Btw, I just checked their web site & they are on backorder until late June. Must be a popular item. Other retailers may still have them, however.

Maybe my trigger finger is numb but my 16s has a crisp trigger, with no creep and it does not feel extra heavy for a military type rifle.

Thanks all for the input. After hearing that it's not that unusual, my main concern was the gritty drag on reset - wasn't expecting such contact. I will probably start with smoothing and polishing and see how it goes. (Had to agree to mile-long honey-do list to keep my marriage and get the gun, so investing an additional $300 bucks now isn't going to happen.)
    Is there a thread that shows proper sequence of disassembly/assembly of trigger mechanism? Also are there aftermarket "light" trigger spring? I did a quick google and came up empty.
    I bought the SCAR 16S intending to use for multi-gun. But until I get the trigger smoother and the grip-to-triggerguard blended a little better (here's an opportunity for opinions for afermarket grips) I'll probably stick with my AR.

I have found little practical difference between the SCAR trigger and a factory AR-15 trigger. The SCAR trigger is marginally worse, but for the rifle's intended purpose, both are fine. Compared to many common military style rifles (AUG, FAL, G3, AK), they have pretty good triggers. I don't feel a trigger upgrade offers a significant benefit to the 16S (the 17S, maybe) for the cost when that $300 - $400 could be put toward a better optic, scope, ammo, magazines, or a training class.
    The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.

-Buddha

Geissele Super Scar trigger, but it ain't cheap. My stock trigger was pretty heavy, and also gritty...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links