Scar 16 Quality Issues and Warranty Service - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thanks Tree6Thanks

Thread: Scar 16 Quality Issues and Warranty Service

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtStrykerUSMC43 View Post
    The weapons aren't painted, they're hard coat anodized, and during your inspection you noticed the centered fasteners but didn't notice the displaced material on the fasteners themselves?

I'm going to excuse myself from this thread now.

-SS
    Stated with a real sense of grace...

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beecher Tool View Post
    Stated with a real sense of grace...
    Beatyourtool,

You have some nerve throwing a stone in my direction after wasting 7 hours of my Saturday under the guise of friendship.

-SS

Banned
    It was intended as a compliment...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by J.polisi View Post
    New to firearms= used to much torque as he tore gun apart to clean the piss out of it

New to firearms= used un modified P-Mags and hit bolt lugs on top of bolt release

Now I could be wrong as I am not an expert and Sgts or other more experienced then me may correct me if I am wrong...

Well, this probably isn't the smartest first post, but I too am a new SCAR owner and have been lurking here looking to learn about my beautiful new tan 16S.

So I guess, 500 Post guy = unable to pay attention to detail while making assumptions about ignorant people.

We all know what happens when you assume and we were all ignorant at some point! I guess you missed the part where he said he only used the factory magazine and has never even cleaned the gun, much less removed the barrel for lack of tools. He must be lying...that always goes well over the internet. How about we just get back on topic and like the saying goes, if you don't have anything positive to add, just bow out gracefully. It is just the internet, no need to get all frustrated.

Now, back to my new baby, well she is new to me but not new. Supposed to have "less than 1000 rnds down the tube" I figure for a SCAR that is just broke in. It too has screws that are off center and above flush (the four rear screws, the front two seem fine). Because of that, I have not shot it yet and have been here looking for info about that being "normal" or not. I had suspected that maybe the previous owner had not re-installed the barrel correctly, as it did come with a PWS rail installed and am waiting on the "proper" tools to arrive to remove and reinstall the barrel prior to shooting it. I would be curious to hear of any others being like this. My bolt appears undamaged, except for one very small ding on one corner of one lug...no concerns there. I seem to vaguely recall a post in my previous reading here where a user here had bolt issues like yours and FNH replaced the whole rifle. Has anyone else had issues with their barrel screws being off center? Is it normal?

Oh, and no I haven't even shot the damn thing yet but I already love it!!

Edited to Add: Post #29 in this thread is rifle that got replaced: Why The SCAR BOLT has a Notch out of it(for noobs)
    Last edited by Scrounger; 02-07-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    fd57 thanked this.

STL
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    It too has screws that are off center and above flush (the four rear screws, the front two seem fine).
    The (4) rear barrel fasteners do not sit flush, by design. (they're not supposed to)

The non-centered fastener "issue": The polymer (Screw Support Bracket) does not serve any other purpose other than to act as a retainer for the springs which impinge on the fasteners in order to allow a ratcheting effect. (The T25 fasteners have splines machined in them for this feature) Oh, and it keeps the fasteners from falling out.

Yes, I know it's February and it's too cold outside to shoot for most of the U.S., but that's no reason why guys shouldn't find something to do besides thinking there's something "defective" with their guns.

Take up handloading.

Take up cooking.

It doesn't matter what you you...

Do something to ease the boredom!

-SS
    Last edited by STL; 02-07-2013 at 09:39 PM.

I started loading with my Dillon 550b. I also learned to cook a kick arse chilli.
    STL thanked this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beecher Tool View Post
    It was intended as a compliment...
    bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by SgtStrykerUSMC43 View Post
    The (4) rear barrel fasteners do not sit flush, by design. (they're not supposed to)

The non-centered fastener "issue": The polymer (Screw Support Bracket) does not serve any other purpose other than to act as a retainer for the springs which impinge on the fasteners in order to allow a ratcheting effect. (The T25 fasteners have splines machined in them for this feature) Oh, and it keeps the fasteners from falling out.

Yes, I know it's February and it's too cold outside to shoot for most of the U.S., but that's no reason why guys shouldn't find something to do besides thinking there's something "defective" with their guns.

Take up handloading.

Take up cooking.

It doesn't matter what you you...

Do something to ease the boredom!

-SS

Cool, so your saying it is normal and I shouldn't worry about it unless the bolt gets dinged up? I do have something else to do...work...hahaha. Its not too cold in South Texas to shoot, its just that my job has seperated me from my rifle. I have already loaded up all the ammo I have components for. I do have to cook for myself when I am at work and I don't miss too many meals... I have been easing the boredom hanging around here.

I didn't get a manual with mine, but have found the pdf copy here, I now know that I need to check all magazines on the bolt catch prior to use and that this rifle should be able to take the abuse I subject all my other black rifles to. Thanks for the help.

Scrounger

Banned
    Well, this probably isn't the smartest first post, but I too am a new SCAR owner and have been lurking here looking to learn about my beautiful new tan 16S.

So I guess, 500 Post guy = unable to pay attention to detail while making assumptions about ignorant people.

We all know what happens when you assume and we were all ignorant at some point! I guess you missed the part where he said he only used the factory magazine and has never even cleaned the gun, much less removed the barrel for lack of tools. He must be lying...that always goes well over the internet. How about we just get back on topic and like the saying goes, if you don't have anything positive to add, just bow out gracefully. It is just the internet, no need to get all frustrated.

Now, back to my new baby, well she is new to me but not new. Supposed to have "less than 1000 rnds down the tube" I figure for a SCAR that is just broke in. It too has screws that are off center and above flush (the four rear screws, the front two seem fine). Because of that, I have not shot it yet and have been here looking for info about that being "normal" or not. I had suspected that maybe the previous owner had not re-installed the barrel correctly, as it did come with a PWS rail installed and am waiting on the "proper" tools to arrive to remove and reinstall the barrel prior to shooting it. I would be curious to hear of any others being like this. My bolt appears undamaged, except for one very small ding on one corner of one lug...no concerns there. I seem to vaguely recall a post in my previous reading here where a user here had bolt issues like yours and FNH replaced the whole rifle. Has anyone else had issues with their barrel screws being off center? Is it normal?

Oh, and no I haven't even shot the damn thing yet but I already love it!!

Edited to Add: Post #29 in this thread is rifle that got replaced: Why The SCAR BOLT has a Notch out of it(for noobs)

If you read my post it says correct me if I am wrong, it was not the notch he was talking about Einstien, the pic was fuzzy and I could not see that the edges of the lugs were actually machined, not damaged..Now, what I do know is that FN would not allow a gun to leave that was defective...I would also be inspecting every inch of a gun costing that much.. The someone needs serious help for OCD..Weighing his slide on the FNX 45s he bought, I mean for real, he is weighing the slides to check for minute weight differences, but he did not notice the SCAR torx screws were half stripped??? Come on for real??
    Last edited by J.polisi; 02-08-2013 at 04:00 PM.

STL
    Cool, so your saying it is normal and I shouldn't worry about it unless the bolt gets dinged up? I do have something else to do...work...hahaha. Its not too cold in South Texas to shoot, its just that my job has seperated me from my rifle. I have already loaded up all the ammo I have components for. I do have to cook for myself when I am at work and I don't miss too many meals... I have been easing the boredom hanging around here.

I didn't get a manual with mine, but have found the pdf copy here, I now know that I need to check all magazines on the bolt catch prior to use and that this rifle should be able to take the abuse I subject all my other black rifles to. Thanks for the help.

Scrounger
    Thank you.

Allow me to rephrase... thank YOU!!!!!!

-SS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links