Finally getting my FDE 16S! Need advice on RDS magnifier!

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By lizad63
  • 1 Post By stephen240

Thread: Finally getting my FDE 16S! Need advice on RDS magnifier!

Finally getting my FDE 16S! Need advice on RDS magnifier!

So I finally got a call from OMB guns that my FDE SCAR 16S is finally shipping! I ordered it when I came back from Afghanistan around September last year; long wait... However, I couldn't beat the price! Took me half of the deployment to decide between the 16 and the 17. So far I have a Magpul AFG, a angled charging handle, picking up a slightly used Aimpoint M4s on Sunday (don't ask how long it took me to decide on the optic, but let's just say I haven't slept more then 5 hours a night this last week).

But now I need suggestions on a magnifier. As the 16 will be my SHTF rifle I would like to have close range out to 300 yards. What magnifiers have you guys used, liked, etc.

I do really like Eotech's G33 but is it worth almost what I'm paying for the Aimpoint?

Any other magnifier suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated!

I use an aimpoint T1 as as secondary.

I absolutely love it and if I were to use an RDS as a primary, T1 all the way.
    Compact, light, extremely usable and rugged.

If you go RDS + magnifier, IMHO, go With a T1. Great usable product.

Thanks DL32, however I'm already set on the M4s. Can't beat the battery life and in a SHTF scenario AA batteries should be incredibly easier to find. Just looking for advice on magnifiers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

First, thanks for your service. Asscrackistan ain't a walk in the park by any stretch of the imagination. And welcome to the forum.

I've never had any issues regularly hitting man-sized targets out to 300m with an un-magnified Aimpoint/EoTech. Others will disagree with me, but a magnifying glass is a magnifying glass is a magnifying glass. Save a little coin and get a cheap knock off magnifier, put it in a decent FTS mount and rock on.

Congrats on your SCAR & thank you for your service! I say AImpoint magnifier!

Regards,
    BigBuckeyeGuy!

Welcome!

I say no magnifier and use the money saved on a SCAR 17...

Isn't this place evil!
    togjr9 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by lizad63 View Post
    I say no magnifier and use the money saved on a SCAR 17...

Isn't this place evil!
    HA! lizad, I'm serious I spent at least half my deployment trying to decide. But ultimately I had to think what would be an awesome SHTF weapon as well having my wife be able to operate it easily.

Anyway to update everyone, I was out at a gun store I've never been too and they had an Eotech HHS II for an incredible deal ($885 incredible)! So I got both things I wanted in one package and I'm ecstatic!

I will update with pictures of the Eotech this evening as well as a review from a SHTF and military standpoint.

My SCAR 16S should be here next week!!
    Active U.S. Army
    Home in Kentucky is where I'd rather be.

Quote Originally Posted by LebbenB View Post
    First, thanks for your service. Asscrackistan ain't a walk in the park by any stretch of the imagination. And welcome to the forum.

I've never had any issues regularly hitting man-sized targets out to 300m with an un-magnified Aimpoint/EoTech. Others will disagree with me, but a magnifying glass is a magnifying glass is a magnifying glass. Save a little coin and get a cheap knock off magnifier, put it in a decent FTS mount and rock on.
    Thank you for your service

i concur with Lebben, i would get vortex and put it on a twist mount so its not always on the rifle weighing it down. yes use the money saved on a 17, your wife can run the 16. you already have a lot of weight on the 16, AFG, eotech. me personally just run a tiny aimpont H-1 and plastic larue handstop
    Last edited by Persocon; 02-02-2014 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Persocon View Post
    Thank you for your service

i concur with Lebben, i would get vortex and put it on a twist mount so its not always on the rifle weighing it down. yes use the money saved on a 17, your wife can run the 16. you already have a lot of weight on the 16, AFG, eotech. me personally just run a tinny aimpont H-1 and plastic larue handstop
    To Persocon, LebbenB, BigBuckeyeGuy thank you guys for the support for our country's military, these kind of little things really help us stay motivated!

Anyway yeah like I said I just picked up the Eotech randomly today. So I'm all settled on optics for the 16S. Persocon my overall intention is too eventually give her the rifle and purchase a 17 for myself

As to the weight issue, during my last tour my weapon weighed way more then my SCAR setup will be. I carried that thing for 9 months 24/7 I am not worried about weight I'm used to it.
    Last edited by stephen240; 02-01-2014 at 09:11 PM.
    BigBuckeyeGuy thanked this.
    Active U.S. Army
    Home in Kentucky is where I'd rather be.

Sponsored Links