Premature Bolt wear normal? Even with PMAG gen 3?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree3Thanks

Thread: Premature Bolt wear normal? Even with PMAG gen 3?

Premature Bolt wear normal? Even with PMAG gen 3?

I just picked up a Scar 16 on March 14 but didn’t get a chance to shoot until last weekend. I have two issues that may be related, but am not sure which is why I am actually posting. I have been lurking here for some time before I purchased my scar. I know some of these topics have been covered before but I plan on email this post link to both FNH and the Gun Shop that purchased the rifle to address there small issue as it’s the best way to share the pictures to both parties.

1) I was trying to zero the rifle at 25 yd using the included instructions of “3” elevation and centered windage from the instruction, but consistently shoot to the right even though I was on bench with sandbags. The ammo we were using to zero was PMC XTAC 62 gr Green tip. I was shooting on outdoor range with very little or no wind. Since my grouping was really good but to the right I was happily to hand it over to my brother in-law who is a experiences rifle shooter (and he was also in the army for 8 yr.) to try to Zero in for me. To my surprise his groups where right next to mine which was to the right of the target. We traded back and forth trying to zero the rifle in and we were able to zero in using 14 click to the left (see pic of rear sight to get to zero). Please be aware that since the rifle did not come with front adjustment tool we only adjusted the rear windage. I have seen some of the canted barrel threads and looking at my own barrel it appears there does not appear to be an obvious misalignment. If the rifle was only 2-6 clicks from center I honestly would be worried about this but since it took so many click to zero this does not seem right to me.

2) I originally purchased 200 rounds of PMC XTAC green tips as seen on the receipt the day I picked up my rifle but only ended up using 120 rds. I finally got around to cleaning my rifle later on during the weekday and noticed the two chip marks. I am well aware of the PMAG gen 2 problem, which is why I only purchased PMAG gen 3. Also as you can see from the pictures I do not have visible wear marks on the bolt catch that is regularly associated to with the known PMAG gen 2 issue, however the chip marks on the bolt are there. I went yesterday the gun shop where I purchased the rifle the owner told me that the wear marks appear to be normal when the rifle is shot. He even showed me a black scar 16 that had the same wear chip and wear marks and explained that it is normal when you slide the bolt back. He advised me to reach out to FN to address the issue as they can provide a better answer and the rifle is under life time warranty.

What you guys think are chips/wear marks I show below part of normal break in period? If not can you also share your bolt pictures and let us know how many rounds you fired through your rifle. I do have to say the rifle does as normal and have no issues other than the two small items I stated I above. The bolt wear is a concerning since there is been so few rounds fired through the rifle. I happen to be one of those guys who baby there firearms and if ever a situation comes up that I may need to sell them I like to get top dollar for them. I honestly feel that rifle is relatively pricey specially in the 223/5.56 category that these it should have zero issues period given the reputation FNH firearms.

The scar is designed to be zeroed with the front sight only. Mechanically zero the rear and zero with the front and you will have better results. Google "scar zero" for several threads on it.

I actually agree with your LGS in that if you're concerned about a finish or wear issue you need to call FN.

You need to check your mags even gen3.
    Check all your mags, especially PMAGS, but check all mags!!
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    + FN SCAR 17s (FDE) - Primary Arms Platinum 1-8x in ADM Delta mount
    + FN SCAR 16s SBR (FDE) - TA31H-G ACOG in ARMS mount, 10" Barrel
    + FNX .45-Tactical (FDE) - Trijicon RM06 FDE RMR, FDE Surefire X300U
    + FN TPS - cerakoted gray, Primary Arms Red Dot (Gen3 Multi-Reticle)
    + FN P-12

Quote Originally Posted by Performify View Post
    The scar is designed to be zeroed with the front sight only. Mechanically zero the rear and zero with the front and you will have better results. Google "scar zero" for several threads on it.

I actually agree with your LGS in that if you're concerned about a finish or wear issue you need to call FN.

You need to check your mags even gen3.
    Check all your mags, especially PMAGS, but check all mags!!

Thank you for pointing that out looking at my front sight it looks like it was not set to center from the factory. This is not big deal since I use screw driver to adjust. Just to you verify when you purchased your Scar it did not come with front adjustment tool correct? Also I just double checked my PMAG gen3 again and there are no wear marks that show any snags and can see plenty of clearance to make sure it does not snag. I do plan on making taking out more material just in case , but I for now I do not plan shooting or performing any modifications until I get an "offical" answer to see if the bit wear is normal. Maybe I should of just left out the "Even with PMAG gen 3" from the title. I was wanted to state the fact that I know about the Gen 2 issues that caused problems, which i do not think is the case in my situation. I just wanted a consensus to see if that bolt wear is normal

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Correct the tool is not included.

Adjusting the front sight?
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    + FN SCAR 17s (FDE) - Primary Arms Platinum 1-8x in ADM Delta mount
    + FN SCAR 16s SBR (FDE) - TA31H-G ACOG in ARMS mount, 10" Barrel
    + FNX .45-Tactical (FDE) - Trijicon RM06 FDE RMR, FDE Surefire X300U
    + FN TPS - cerakoted gray, Primary Arms Red Dot (Gen3 Multi-Reticle)
    + FN P-12

I talked to someone from FNH support and got the official answer of the wear marks on the bolt as normal. This is good news I will head out to the range this weekend with no worries.
    Spilz thanked this.

Am I looking right, but those small marks are on top, no way bolt hold open related.
    Last edited by marko; 04-07-2014 at 09:22 PM.
    s4mur41h4x0r thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by marko View Post
    Am I looking right, but those small marks are on top, no way bolt hold open related.
    That's the way it looks to me, unless the OP inverted the image
    ~Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by JR505 View Post
    I talked to someone from FNH support and got the official answer of the wear marks on the bolt as normal. This is good news I will head out to the range this weekend with no worries.
    Sounds like you're GTG! Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Don't be mad about that dropping that pass son. You're not that good..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

-my high school football coach

I can not believe FN would consider the chips out of the bolt lugs above the extractor as normal wear at 120 rc . At this rate you will need a new bolt at case of ammo. You provided us with very good pics of your concerns, did you in fact forward them to FN c.s. ! I looked at this before there was any other post, but decided to wait to see what others with more experience on this platform, round count, had to say. I know I would be concerned with this also with either one of my SCARS. I would also think you would have consistent issues with the barrel extension due to the fact that this damage happened during bolt lock-up . Good luck with a resolution to this issue.

I have to agree with BOOM, the wear on those top two lugs in the picture is not normal. My 17 has around 600 through it and the lugs look far better than those pictured. I would keep asking around though and hopefully more people will chime in. Perhaps post another pic of the bolt face from another angle because my eyes could be deceiving me.

Best of luck anyway and I hope you get it figured out.

KK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links