California Compliant Scar 16s

FN Forum

Google Search

California Compliant Scar 16s

Hi, long time fan, and hoping to be a new scar owner soon! I have read all up on buying a California compliant scar 16s. The seller is from out of state and will be doing the modifications himself for a fee of $60. That sounded reasonable to me since it requires a little work and I'm very busy. A couple questions regarding the california legalities:

1) He said he will be "filing the paperwork with the state of California" to prove it's a legal scar 16s. What paperwork is this?

2) What if I were to purchase a CA legal scar 16 in a different state (where I have family and used to live), and bring the rifle back home to California? My understanding is that this doesn't break any federal or state laws (it's a CA compliant rifle), am I wrong? one benefit to doing it this way is the FFL's in other states are much cheaper and I won't have to pay sales tax. Would I have to file any paperwork with the state?

Thanks for the help. I've done numerous internet searches to try to figure out these answers, but CA gun laws are so impossible to understand if you don't work with them regularly.

Surfer

Surfer,

Per #2, if you are now a CA resident (i. e. bring the carbine "home" to CA) it may or may not be legal to buy it in another state. Buying in a contiguous state may be legal, but check with state or ATF. Having a family member in another state purchase it with the intent to transfer it to you would probably constitute a straw purchase and put you both in a jam. I'd be careful, YMMV.

Good luck

1. The FFL dealer that he sends the gun to will verify it is CA legal and will take care of the paperwork unless he thinks he can send it directly to you, which he cannot do in the state of CA. California residents are bound by different laws so even though it may be legal in his state, it isn't in CA so this problem should take care of itself. He will have to send it directly to an FFL in CA.

2. As B0308 has already indicated, not a good idea. CA residents can only buy guns from out of state if the gun is shipped directly to an FFL in CA. If you were to buy it face to face out of state, this would imply you are not currently a CA resident. Running guns across state lines is a federal offense, unless of course your the ATF running Fast & Furious or an anti-gun CA state senator Yee, then its legal apparently.
    Last edited by fmxmyway; 08-08-2014 at 08:18 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
    Hi, long time fan, and hoping to be a new scar owner soon! I have read all up on buying a California compliant scar 16s. The seller is from out of state and will be doing the modifications himself for a fee of $60. That sounded reasonable to me since it requires a little work and I'm very busy. A couple questions regarding the california legalities: 1) He said he will be "filing the paperwork with the state of California" to prove it's a legal scar 16s. What paperwork is this? 2) What if I were to purchase a CA legal scar 16 in a different state (where I have family and used to live), and bring the rifle back home to California? My understanding is that this doesn't break any federal or state laws (it's a CA compliant rifle), am I wrong? one benefit to doing it this way is the FFL's in other states are much cheaper and I won't have to pay sales tax. Would I have to file any paperwork with the state? Thanks for the help. I've done numerous internet searches to try to figure out these answers, but CA gun laws are so impossible to understand if you don't work with them regularly. Surfer
    If you are a CA resident all sales must go through a CA FFL, regardless if its from a private party or a dealer. Essentially the seller must install a "bullet button" to make the carbine a "fixed magazine" variant and put a block on the stock to prevent it from folding to meet CA OAL requirements(and folding stocks kill kittens and babies apparently so its evil). For $60 its average pricing so not too big a loss if parts are included for the conversion.

1. The seller really doesnt need to do any paperwork as the paperwork is mostly related to the buyer(you) and all of that will be taken care of when the CA FFL transfers the carbine to you. Only thing that may be required is if the CA FFL the seller is shipping to requires something extra to prove it is CA compliant(if not, it ends up being the FFL's problem and they waste time/money)

2. If you are a current CA resident(ie permanent address, DL, etc) it is a big negative, unless the state you are buying the long gun in allows out of state resident sales. Then you will have to fill this(http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag...rms/volreg.pdf) out and submit it. Course CADOJ is also stupid and its pretty much playing with fire if you go this route. Disclaimer: This is the internet so do not take my word(text) as gospel.

Ask your local ffl dealer as they would know what they can and can't transfer to you. 2nd option would be to find a single shot exemption dealer (SSE) there may be extra wait times and fees but they may be able to get you the real deal.

I'd advise caution in having the seller do the modifications necessary to comply with Taxifornia. He might bugger up the rifle in a way that would make it difficult to return it to normal, should you move to a free State in the future. There are some receiving dealers (FFLs) in Taxifornia who will do the mods for you for a fee. You can discuss with them exactly what they are going to do.
    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." The 10th Amendment.

NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of Calif. Member, U.S. Navy Veteran

Where do you live in Cali? Solar Tactical in Livermore has several SCARs (16/17, FDE/black) in the shop now at "standard prices". No BS and you support a local business. I made a mistake (minor) and bought my SCAR 16 from Arizona (Tombstone Tactical) cuz I thought I was getting a good deal. However, I had to pay the conversion fee ($60), taxes (~$200), FFL fee ($50), shipping, and a credit card fee ($75). They installed the bullet button wrong, so I had to remove it and replace it. When I decided to install the Raddlock, I had to go out and buy the missing hardware from the OEM mag release. At the end of the day I should have just bought it from the local guys...

Have the seller send the upper to the FFL for transfer, then lower and stock to you. You can then install the compliance parts yourself. It'll probably be cheaper in shipping than what he was going to charge you for the install.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmace22 View Post
    Have the seller send the upper to the FFL for transfer, then lower and stock to you. You can then install the compliance parts yourself. It'll probably be cheaper in shipping than what he was going to charge you for the install.
    This is what I did. Was able to install parts I wanted and know there was no chance of improper install. Your only catch for buying outside Ca is the mags. They cannot be imported unless perm modified for 10 rds so unless you find a way to address, you may be out a mag with rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Massan View Post
    If you are a CA resident all sales must go through a CA FFL, regardless if its from a private party or a dealer. Essentially the seller must install a "bullet button" to make the carbine a "fixed magazine" variant and put a block on the stock to prevent it from folding to meet CA OAL requirements(and folding stocks kill kittens and babies apparently so its evil). For $60 its average pricing so not too big a loss if parts are included for the conversion.

1. The seller really doesnt need to do any paperwork as the paperwork is mostly related to the buyer(you) and all of that will be taken care of when the CA FFL transfers the carbine to you. Only thing that may be required is if the CA FFL the seller is shipping to requires something extra to prove it is CA compliant(if not, it ends up being the FFL's problem and they waste time/money)

2. If you are a current CA resident(ie permanent address, DL, etc) it is a big negative, unless the state you are buying the long gun in allows out of state resident sales. Then you will have to fill this(http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag...rms/volreg.pdf) out and submit it. Course CADOJ is also stupid and its pretty much playing with fire if you go this route. Disclaimer: This is the internet so do not take my word(text) as gospel.
    As a resident of Pelosifornia, the foregoing is all correct based on my understanding. I'd just add two specifics: 1) the seller must SHIP the firearm directly to a California FFL (licensed firearms dealer); you cannot be trusted to receive it directly. 2) I'd strongly advise you to find a Calif. FFL who will perform the required modifications himself. Do not let the seller do it as he might "Bubba" the thing. Before starting the transaction, when you identify the dealer you're going to use, question him about how he will do the mods. You want the mods to be reversible at a future date should you move to another state, or should the liberals who run Pelosifornia someday get voted out of office.
    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." The 10th Amendment.

NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of Calif. Member, U.S. Navy Veteran

Sponsored Links