SCAR compatible magazines

FN Forum

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

SCAR compatible magazines

Since the FN steel and aluminum mags are impossible to find, what other SCAR-friendly mags are out there? I'm interested in mags other than the Magpul P-Mag, which appears to be hit or miss (some drop, some don't).

I'm aware of the about-to-be-released Tangodown ACR and Magpul E-Mag. In fact, the ACR was designed with the SCAR in mind. However, the two piece design has me just a little hesitant. As for the Magpul E-Mag, which I thought was going to be the be-all-end-all, Justin at Magpul told me yesterday that they are still not sure whether or not their E-Mag will be the answer to SCAR-owners' mag problems.

Ultimately, I'm hoping that the ACR and E-Mag do the trick. However, I'd like to pick up a few mags that work in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for any help. If someone has a lead on some NIB FN mags, please share.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter

Re: SCAR compatible magazines

Quote Originally Posted by FNBlack
    Since the FN steel and aluminum mags are impossible to find, what other SCAR-friendly mags are out there? I'm interested in mags other than the Magpul P-Mag, which appears to be hit or miss (some drop, some don't).

I'm aware of the about-to-be-released Tangodown ACR and Magpul E-Mag. In fact, the ACR was designed with the SCAR in mind. However, the two piece design has me just a little hesitant. As for the Magpul E-Mag, which I thought was going to be the be-all-end-all, Justin at Magpul told me yesterday that they are still not sure whether or not their E-Mag will be the answer to SCAR-owners' mag problems.

Ultimately, I'm hoping that the ACR and E-Mag do the trick. However, I'd like to pick up a few mags that work in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for any help. If someone has a lead on some NIB FN mags, please share.

Mr. Black,
    The SCAR's magazine well is set to NATO Stanag dimensions. All this means is that any magazine designed to these tolerances should fit the mag well without issues. The problems start when various manufacturers deviate from these dimensions, or don't have them to begin with.

The HK "high reliability" mags will work without problems. Also, any G.I issue mags will work. The key is locating magazines that are manufactured to the Stanag specs. I hope this helps.

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

SHOPPING:

AUTHORIZED FN LE/Mil DISTRIBUTOR

07/02 SOT FIREARM MANUFACTURER

Law Enforcement / Military / Commercial Sales

O: 815-977-5167

Accepting All Major Credit Cards

It helps a lot. Thank you.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    You're welcome.

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

SHOPPING:

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    Hey Black,
    The absolutely highest quality mags available, IMO, would be the Brownells mags. They come in FDE, and IMO, their FDE is a better shade than the FN FDE mag that came with the SCAR.
    Brownells is now supplying mags to the U.S. Military too.
    Furthermore, and my second choice, would be the BravoCompanyUSA mags, which is made by "DSG Arms". This is the EXACT same FDE mag that FN included with the SCAR, only FN coated it FDE.
    There is still no better mag than a good ol USGI mag, IMO of course.
    Sure, they can dent unlike PMAGs, but how often has that been an issue with us? The troops do great with them, and so do we...
    I will say however, I will be picking up a few FDE TD ARC mags, as well as a clear ARC or two when they come out.
    However, Magpuls "European" mag will also be of interest to me, just for the hell of it.
    However, this is the first I've heard of it possibly not working with the SCAR??? I was hoping it would be a good option...

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Paul,
    I agree. The Brownells mags are exceptional, and for the money, an outstanding value. I have 2 dozen myself, and every one of them worked flawlessly in my Sig 556's and the FS 2000.

I also have a dozen HK mags. They're more likely to stand up to abuse given the construction, but they are pricey.

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

SHOPPING:

Thanks again guys, I'm glad I asked. With two thumbs up for Brownells, I'll go with them for the short term.

I didn't mean to put any sort of damper on the E-Mag, Paul. I'm very much looking forward to that one too. Justin said he thinks it will be o.k. in the SCAR, but he's just not 100% certain at this point that it will drop free every time.

Tangodown says the translucent ARCs are a few months away. Blacks are here now and FDEs should be out by the end of next week.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Try here:

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Se...=11&Search.y=7

Free UPS Ground on $225.00 or more. This is where I got mine.

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

SHOPPING:

I hope I get this Karma thing right...+1 to both of you guys.

HK mags

The only other mags I had available at home when I received my SCAR were the HK "high reliability" mags that I purchased to use in my custom Bushmaster. Though I haven't had time to fire the SCAR yet, the HK mags released great, both full and empty, from the SCAR. Shouldn't be a surprise though, the HK mags were developed to take care of such problems with the SA-80.

Regards,
    Bryan
    BME, LT, USCG

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Links