My Scar 17 story... How I became a fanboy. - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree49Thanks

Thread: My Scar 17 story... How I became a fanboy.

Seems we both can't wait for the Scar 17 Long to come out and pretty much why I don't want a MR762. Now if HK would just make a G36 in 7.62 nato.

Quote Originally Posted by Oicani View Post
    Seems we both can't wait for the Scar 17 Long to come out and pretty much why I don't want a MR762. Now if HK would just make a G36 in 7.62 nato.
    I will say the MR762 was an AMAZING rifle... extremely accurate out of the box, cycled everything I fed it, but did not like higher pressure rounds suppressed. The German 20 inch HK has an adjustable gas system, so if that comes here one day, I will likely sell the REPR and get one...
    But of course, a 20 inch, 7-8 lb Scar 17 would also be awesome... as long as they put a heavier profile barrel on it Otherwise I'm afraid it just wont be consistent to longer ranges with a can hanging off the front and that much barrel movement when it heats up. I sold my 16 inch Scar 16 because it would string once the barrel got warm.

Interesting!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Excellent shooting and nice write up. At my personal range on my mountain property I have a 600 meter setup that I bang away at with great consistency with my 17 along with my 2020 in 308 and Ruger in 7mm Mag. I do have plans to clear the area some more in the future to get out to the 1k meter mark the next time I have the dozer up there. If my eyes would allow greater than 1k I would work with my older brother who owns the property next to me and we could easily setup a greater than mile range...lol
    - Mike -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    Benefactor Life Member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    Life Member

Ambassador Life Member
    FN Gear
    Scar 17s FDE
    FNX-45 Tactical FDE (Twins)
    FNX-45 Blk
    FiveSeveN FDE
    My Oath to defend our nation against all enemies... was and is still an oath for me.

I have a surefire suppressor on my scar as well....great piece of gear!
    macman1138 thanked this.

Excellent write-up. I have had the same experience shooting my 17 out at the same ranges. I can smack steel at 800 yards all day long, but 1,000 yards is a bridge too far. Maybe I need to quit hand loading 178 gr AMAX rounds and start shooting factory 147s.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarbelly79 View Post
    Excellent write-up. I have had the same experience shooting my 17 out at the same ranges. I can smack steel at 800 yards all day long, but 1,000 yards is a bridge too far. Maybe I need to quit hand loading 178 gr AMAX rounds and start shooting factory 147s.
    147s are hit and miss. I have found that the federal and magtech M80 ball does group better than ZQI. I went out last week and there was a 10 mph variable wind (cross/head/tail) and it was hell getting ZQI 147s on at 800 meters (granted I have a 13 inch barrel, they are falling out of the sky at that point). It doesn't help I'm on a 1-6 so wind corrections aren't the easiest without a spotter, but I'm just about finished loading the 178s for my REPR and about to move on to something for the Scar to see what it can do, I just didn't want to adjust my dies until I finished. I think something in a 155 with some good velocity will do very well in this gun!
    What are you loading for your 178s?

Quote Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
    I ended up selling off the Leupold and switching to the Vortex Razor 1-6 with the Mil reticle and like it much better, but other than that, I dont plan on doing anything else to this gun!
    Let's say you had the "other" Leupold MK6 (1-6 in TMR-D Mil/Mil) instead of the 762 reticle.

Now, imagine Vortex 1-6x Mil vs the TMR-D pictured.
    How do you think it would be in a head to head?

https://www.leupold.com/reticles/tmr-d-illuminated/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Know your Enemy. - Sun Tzu(Art of War), RATM.

Quote Originally Posted by saltpinch View Post
    Let's say you had the "other" Leupold MK6 (1-6 in TMR-D Mil/Mil) instead of the 762 reticle.

Now, imagine Vortex 1-6x Mil vs the TMR-D pictured.
    How do you think it would be in a head to head?

https://www.leupold.com/reticles/tmr-d-illuminated/
    Tough call. I like the brighter red dot on the Razor, and it also has a better field of view even though its only 30mm. Glass quality was a wash with both being outstanding, but I felt the Razor also had a more forgiving eye relief. The other big gripe on the Leupold is I ran out of elevation trying to get to 1000 meters before the turret locked, where as the Razor has a ton more usable turret... downside of the Razor being no Zero stop. Its not easy trying to hit a torso at 1100 yards with a 1-6 when you're having to hold over and adjust 2-3 mils for wind since 147s are hit hard at that distance.

Cant go wrong with either, but I'm a night force snob with the second place being Vortex and Steiner.
    saltpinch thanked this.

Rangtime network Mike?

He has a scar, a Repr, Vortex equipment and his name is Mike, who shoots in an area that looks like AZ?
    I didn't dig too deep, but I had to ask?
    - Know your Enemy. - Sun Tzu(Art of War), RATM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links