My Scar 17 story... How I became a fanboy. - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Thanks Tree49Thanks

Thread: My Scar 17 story... How I became a fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by saltpinch View Post
    Rangtime network Mike?

He has a scar, a Repr, Vortex equipment and his name is Mike, who shoots in an area that looks like AZ?
    I didn't dig too deep, but I had to ask?
    I don't know what Rangtime is... My only Vortex is the 1-6, everything else is Nightforce. I do shoot in AZ though
    saltpinch thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
    I don't know what Rangtime is... My only Vortex is the 1-6, everything else is Nightforce. I do shoot in AZ though
    The youtube channel user name who I ran across with a few items and similarities that matched your description.
    Leupold, Repr308, Scar17s, Vortex, Western US mountain looking range and settings etc...and his name is Mike.

It was the first thing that came to memory.
    Last edited by saltpinch; 02-25-2017 at 06:47 AM.
    - Know your Enemy. - Sun Tzu(Art of War), RATM.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Enjoyed the write up... you have an impressive skill set along with a niche for selecting some very nice weapon accoutrements. I guess I never realized the possible disdain perspective generated from all the hype and video gaming . I'm glad to hear that the performance of the platform even when sbr'ed was enough to earn your respect. Now to inject some humor... if I'm ever in the PHX area " breaking the law " and you guy's have me pinned down..... just pull out the megaphone and inform me " this is FenixMike ".....!!!! I'll come out with my hands up
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

Trump " See You In court " ......

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by saltpinch View Post
    The youtube channel user name who I ran across with a few items and similarities that matched your description.
    Leupold, Repr308, Scar17s, Vortex, Western US mountain looking range and settings etc...and his name is Mike.

It was the first thing that came to memory.
    I will have to look it up! This is my spot, Thats with my MR762 and REPR, didn't have the Scar that day. Right now steel only goes out to 1000 meters, but with the acquisition of a Barrett MRAD in .300 Norma Mag, I have to go put steel to 1600m, and thats the end of the canyon, so for anything further, I will have to find another spot.
    Below is the steel I have setup at 700, 800 and 1000 meters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FenixMike; 02-25-2017 at 08:09 AM.
    FS2KSTD thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjk1 View Post
    Enjoyed the write up... you have an impressive skill set along with a niche for selecting some very nice weapon accoutrements. I guess I never realized the possible disdain perspective generated from all the hype and video gaming . I'm glad to hear that the performance of the platform even when sbr'ed was enough to earn your respect. Now to inject some humor... if I'm ever in the PHX area " breaking the law " and you guy's have me pinned down..... just pull out the megaphone and inform me " this is FenixMike ".....!!!! I'll come out with my hands up
    Hah ! I only wish the Scar was an optional duty rifle These days it seems anything further than 25 yards isn't justified, I'm surprised we haven't had our guns taken away and been issued sling shots and whiffle ball bats.
    mjk1 thanked this.

Swapped the NF 4-16 ATACR over to the Scar and loaded up some 155 SMK Palma rounds, a few 168 SMK and my 178 loads from the REPR to see how they did at long range today. I was pleasantly surprised by all considering I did zero load development, but it has sparked my interest in seeing what I can get out of this gun.

I had a couple groups get into the .8-.9 MOA range, but most were 1.0ish, flyer could have been my bad as I have a lot of time on the Geissele from my REPR, but run a Timney in the Scar and have to get used to it. I loaded the 155 Palmas with 47 gr of Varget at 2.800, the 168 SMK at 44.5 gr of Varget, and the 178s were loaded at 43.2 gr Varget from my REPR. All were under max loads from the book, and none had any pressure signs. I didn't chrono any of them, but you can bet my next visit to my spot will include multiple loads for each bullet, and chrono for each! As usual, 700 and 800 meters were a breeze, especially having actual magnification now! The surprise came that I was able to get at least 50% on at 1000 meters (1100 yards)! I had to walk it in with 15 mils of elevation, but the low wind allowed me to sink a bunch of the 178s on target at 1000 meters. Velocity had to be ridiculous at that point and falling out of the sky, but for anyone who doubts a 13 inch scar can't hit 1100 yards, there is your proof! Prior to this, I was trying it with M80 Ball and it would just dance around the target, but today, once I was on the steel, they either hit, or were near misses slightly low/slightly high from fighting a headwind. Im going to try some different loads, and possibly a faster burning powder to see if I can get some more velocity out of this gun. The 155s and 178s did wonderful at 800 meters, and I only brought 8 of the 168 SMKs that I had laying around.

I wish the 20 inch barrels that were just released were a heavier profile, but I imagine with a suppressor hanging off the barrel, and the already 90 degree heat we have here, it would be short lived before it started to string the shots from barrel flip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BigBuckeyeGuy and OvrK0 thanked this.

What mount are you using with the Vortex? Nice write up think I'm going to sell some toys and fund a Razor 1-6 and a NF not sure yet what model to go with yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ivan51 View Post
    What mount are you using with the Vortex? Nice write up think I'm going to sell some toys and fund a Razor 1-6 and a NF not sure yet what model to go with yet.
    American Defense Scar mount. Works fantastic!

Thanks!

I shot a steel silhouette match at a nearby range last year. Standard chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams @ 200, 300, 400, and 500 respectively. I was shooting PMC bronze ball ammo and using irons. We were allowed spotter shots each distance on hanging gongs. My irons were pretty much dead on except for 300 so I fired 3 spotter shots and ended up (I think) 2 clicks below the 3 mark.

I got 28-40 record shots with 7 hits on the rams @ 500 with iron sights!

Yeah, I'm a fanboy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links